: Are you ready to go to another brand of car???

JOHNNY Z
05-31-04, 12:32 PM
I don't know if its bad timing or luck or just bad cars. But I've had caddys from 1977 till now. 73 Coupe,77 Coupe,78 Coupe, 79 Coupe ,80 368 Fleetwood Coupe, 83 4100 Coupe,89 4.5 Eldo (GOOD CAR) 90 4.9 Seville (Good car too) 95 STS ( Not a good car for me at least) now 98 Deville. Fact not opinion most of these were higher maintainance cars than other large body GM cars(Chevy Caprices or Pontiac Bonnevilles) that I've had. I have to say the 94 Towncar and my 97 Towncar cartier( Should have NEVER sold that car!!!!!) never gave me the sort of wondering will I make it feeling when I hit the hit the road that these cars have lately. They all seem to eat a radiator within a few years and I maintain them. They ALL leak,seep,weep whatever oil from mystery locations. I liked them all but I really have to wonder. I would love to be able to say in an automotive conversation that "Cadillac is the standard of the world" and exceeds other manufacturers by blah blah blah. But I really can't. Just because they get 5,6 or 7 years old and 70,000 miles doesent give these cars the right to fall apart and lose their roadworthiness. But it seems to be the rule with most used ones out there.

Randy_W
05-31-04, 12:54 PM
If you want a Ford, buy a Ford, you don't need to justify your prefference!;)

Msilva954
05-31-04, 01:15 PM
My second choice was a 95-97 Cartier but this 92' was such a great deal.

Dead Sled
05-31-04, 03:24 PM
I just bought an olds last month

a 71 Cutlass S is my new toy, caddys parked out back colecting dust

tru504187211
05-31-04, 04:14 PM
I guess I'd take a Towncar as a secondary car, maybe even a Buick.

JOHNNY Z
05-31-04, 04:21 PM
I didn't say I wanted a Ford. Although they have come a loooooong way since the 70's they are really not my product of choice. I don't care for the new body style Towncar at all. Too narrow inside. the 97-99 Deville like I have I now is much nicer. Even the 2000 and up Deville has grown on me and I am sure I will try one in a few years. Lincoln has seriously expensive air suspension and head gasket issues on their older Towncar and 3.8 equipped Continentals. The 4.6 intech Continental is a nice and peppy classy ride though. I guess the Deville will always be my choice of 4 door luxury car. Its just so nice that when it has a serious (expensive) repair issue most of us want to flock away and go elsewhere. Until its repaired and you drive it then you remember why you fell in love in the first place. I still love these cars very much though.

Msilva954
05-31-04, 05:02 PM
Do you work on yours by yourself without labor charging mechanics???? Were about to do a $455 waterpump job for about $100. When you start doing these things by yourself in your garage you start to relize that your probably paying less to repair your Caddy by yourself then someone does to repair their Hyundai at the dealer or other mechanic.

JOHNNY Z
05-31-04, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I do lots of my own work. So much thats its almost to a fault. I just got back from autozone and bought an AC pf61 oil filter and 8 qts of valvoline durablend. Tomorrow I am flushing the radiator and adding new coolant and Gm supplement tabs. I will be buying 2 new front rotors(30 bucks each) 2 rear rotors (20 bucks each) and front and rear Bendix pads (66 for both) by the end of the week. I feel a pulsing pedal so I am just changing everything. Heck its cheap enough I don't care if everything is only a few months old- off it comes for those prices. I couldn't do my own fuel lines on my STS so that was a 300 dollar rap for the line and install. But I'd say I do 60-70% of my own repairs and I believe prevent is better than cure so I maintain my vehicles very well.

Msilva954
05-31-04, 09:11 PM
I cant speak for and STS or any of the newer N* engines but besides being transverse and a pain in the A$$ to work on, the 4.9L seems to be a very reliable engine, at least for me. In about 2-3 years I plan on upgrading to a 2000-2004 Deville DHS so I hope that it is not a drastic change when it comes to being able to work on my own car.

davesdeville
06-01-04, 01:55 AM
I'd consider a Chrysler or maybe Lincoln product. Other vehicles don't meet my requirement for class and luxury.

Sandy
06-01-04, 07:46 AM
Boy, do I miss my Imperials, of yesteryear, now. STOP doing this to me.
My uncle owned a tiny little Imperial-Chrysler-Plymouth dealership for many years, until time passed him by, and my folks got a new Imperial every year for a total of 21 cars. (1957-1978). They were really classy, strong & elegant cars. The "Imperials" of 1990-1993 brought shame to the name, and prostituted the brand's heritage.

airbalancer
06-01-04, 08:11 AM
I might look at Paasat wagon with TDI, if gas still goes up.
The new Pontic Solstice or Buick Velite looks interesting.
But 99 STS should be go for the next 5 years and who know what will be out then.

davesdeville
06-01-04, 09:28 AM
I saw a 74 or 75 Imperial yesterday. It dwarfed my Caddy, and I must say it looked much cooler too. It was pulling into a gas station, naturally.

strindl
06-01-04, 11:30 AM
I bought my first cadillac in march ...an 04 CTS, and love the styling and performance. I've been a mainly GM buyer the last 20 years or so..a couple corvettes, a couple Silverados, a couple Pontiacs, a couple Astros, and I've been happy with them.

I have my CTS in for service today, and they gave me an 04 DeVille to drive. It doesn't handle like my CTS, but it sure does ride smooth and quiet. I found a caddy dealer that treats its customers right and knows what they are doing too...that adds lots to the equation.

I think Cadillac has made a major improvement in their product and image over the last few years...They didn't offer anything I wanted 10 years ago.

Btw...the Cadillac dealer that has restored my faith in their dealer network is Crest Cadillac in Brookfield, Wisconsin.

Vesicant
06-01-04, 11:59 AM
Nope... infact, im thinkin about getting a used DeVille or Seville soon :coolgleam in addition to the Catera.

Just have to find a Really good one, so there will be no problems in the future (hopefully).

Northstar Power! :D

Sandy
06-01-04, 03:47 PM
I saw a 74 or 75 Imperial yesterday. It dwarfed my Caddy, and I must say it looked much cooler too. It was pulling into a gas station, naturally.

Dave, here a URL to a photo of my folks final Imperial LeBaron, a 1978, triple white, with fire red accented interior & optional moonroof & chromedroad wheels, fender skirts & cornering lamps. It had every option. They drove it for 2 model years and then the Man above called them to come home. It was the last of 21. I have pictures of some of them ........ {somewhere} :hmm:

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1978/Customized/78-NYer.jpg

and a pic of their 1969 LeBaron (GIGANTIC CAR !!!) 235" looooooong

http://m43.narod.ru/us_cars/chrysler_corp/imperial/i-imperial_lebaron_sed_69_04.JPG

Black over Black with white leather. The white leather was actually "pearlized" - like cadillac's White Diamond Paint Color.

tru504187211
06-01-04, 07:47 PM
Boy, do I miss my Imperials, of yesteryear, now. STOP doing this to me.
My uncle owned a tiny little Imperial-Chrysler-Plymouth dealership for many years, until time passed him by, and my folks got a new Imperial every year for a total of 21 cars. (1957-1978). They were really classy, strong & elegant cars. The "Imperials" of 1990-1993 brought shame to the name, and prostituted the brand's heritage.

Good way of putting it...almost sounds...filthy. LOL. I'll be telling my girl tonight her car is only a prostituted, filthy version of the brand. Shes in an early 90's LeBaron.

509Rider
06-01-04, 10:01 PM
No, I love my cadillacs.

Dead Sled
06-01-04, 11:06 PM
I want an old Imp nutten like a BB mopar in land yacht

davesdeville
06-02-04, 07:14 PM
Nothin like a 500 Caddy in a land yacht... :want:

74-75 are IMO the best looking Imperials. I like the mid 70s Lincoln Marks as well. And of course Caddys. Ah I don't think I'll ever buy a new car until I can't find a 70s luxury barge.. Unless I can pick up a Sixteen.

CoupeDevilleRob
06-02-04, 07:26 PM
As long as it's rear drive and V8 I'll consider it, although a I'm most likely to buy a General Motors product. A Crown Vic or Grand Marquis would have to be super low mileage and be really cheap for me to buy it.

El Dobro
06-02-04, 10:37 PM
I've been toying with the idea of picking up an RX-7 as a spare car. I've been interested in rotary engines since before I picked up my drivers license.

JOHNNY Z
06-03-04, 11:59 AM
I just picked up a 98 deville with 70K on it. Red with neutral leather. Loaded up and runs and looks super nice. Changed oil and flushed radiator and added Gm pellets. While the car looks and runs great I have decided to sell it as soon as I get the title. If and when something big goes,like a trans problem or any N Star heavy problem like headgaskets I'll have to take a homeowners loan to fix it. I already sold my motorcycle to pay off the 2800 I charged for the engine in my STS. Then the STS had expensive ride control and brake issues mysteriously come up so that cars gone now. My other thought was to pick up an 01 Deville for around 20,000-22,000 (and take a loan for 10,000 )and buy an extended Gm warranty. I would probably see 7500-8500 on trade value for this 98. But I think I am going to bail out and just drive my 03 GMC Extended cab diesel instead. I just love driving a car sometimes instead of the truck all the time but these cars can get too pricey for my families well being.

caddyshack24
06-06-04, 12:11 AM
Personally, I think they've hooked my into the GM/Cadillac franchise.
I'll purchase a 1979 Seville, 1989 Brougham and a 2001 STS..

Had my eyes on the Ferrari Spider.. but i think i'll go with the CTS-V now.

If i don't stick with Cadillac, it'll still be a GM brand.

(I've considered becoming a GM certified technician because of this passion)
(and it's still an option)

Stoneage_Caddy
06-06-04, 05:14 PM
Im not exactly brand loyal . GM just happens to make some of my favorites

Proabaly get a 2000-2002 Infiniti G20 next , just because i have a complete turbo setup for one (leftovers from old G20), a project that needs to be completed , and gas prices continue to soar so it will be a commuter car.

Thats a few years down the road , now that the caddy is almost a 100% car ,paid off and no more leaks . Gonna keep her till 200,000 miles at least , thatsway i can save up for a house and get settled there , then ill have room for project cars. and the deville will be sold to make room for something of a weekend car like a corvette,allante , 59 Caddy (anything), or something of the like to attend cruise ins or whatever .

Scott01STS
06-07-04, 06:17 PM
In a few years when I sell my newly purchased 01 STS, I'm gonna buy an 2004 Acura TL. It is without a doubt the best sedan on the market when you compare the cost ($32k FULLY loaded) and all the bells, whistles and quality. It's a good looker too :)

http://acura.com/models/model_index.asp?module=tl

Msilva954
06-07-04, 07:52 PM
I will be buying another Caddy down the road...but my parents are something else.....we were never brand loyal really....but we had a 7# Camero then a 84 Trans Am then a 94' Firebird V6. Between the 84' and 94' We had a Mazda MPV and a 84' Scirroco. After the Mazda and the 94' and the 84' we bought a 97' Thunderbird V6 and a 97' Mustang V6. We still have the 97'Mustang and in 2001 we won a BMW 325ci Conv, so we have those plus my 92' Deville.

Dont know when we will trade in the BMW, but we were looking at the 300C. The mustang we will have for like 1-2 more years and my father was looking at the Hemi Magnum.....but now im trying to sway him to a 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel Excursion....even though I always say I hate SUV's, you just gotta love the Ex....and with that Powerstroke it gets about 20-23 mpg on the highway and 18 combined.....no Medium to Full size SUV can even touch that...and with some mods under $1000 you can have 450hp and 750tq. NOT TOO BAD.

Playdrv4me
06-10-04, 02:48 AM
I agree MSILVA, the Excursion while huge, is a pretty badass truck done up in Diesel with 4X4 and then given an awesome lift kit the thing is unstoppable.

I am not disloyal to Cadillac, but I am also not stuck on ANY car brand and I have to say that in response to the original question on this board, YES currently im considering Lincoln, and in particular the Navigator over the next closest GM product. Im sorry to say, yea its a FORD, big fargin deal.... guess what, they improved EVERYTHING on the damn assembly line from the wheels to the dashpads and I come from a mindset where if you work hard to impress your customers and make whirlwind changes to a product that some would have called trashy in the past; you deserve my attention. This is coming from someone who at one point was a self professed Ford hater. Then one day I stepped into a 2003 Lincoln LSV8 Sport Ultra and was absolutely floored by everything from the THX Navigation system, to the heated and cooled seats and HID headlamps that car was IT when it came to interior bliss. Then my next smack in the face came when I drove a 2003 Town Car rental in California. Once again I was simply amazed by the fat glob of wood in the comfy steering wheel, the industries best reverse sensing system and smooth and tactile feel of every component of that interior. At that point I knew the Ford I had so come to despise was gone, this was almost a new car company altogether. Then I learned that Jaques Nasser had stepped down, and Bill Ford took the reigns back in. Bill has not only had to undo and correct all of the BS that Nasser screwed up so terribly, but gone a step further and absolutely revolutionized almost every product they make. Thats a commitment to quality I hadnt seen from any domestic manufacturer in years.

Cadillac is close, the CTS-V and many new designs coming down the line are evidence of this, but theres still room for improvement. To the person who said he chose a CTS-V over a Ferrari Spider... I dont think those two cars are in the same ballpark, however if you meant that you think the CTS-V is more bang per dollar, then yes its a better choice.

Ralph
06-10-04, 03:10 AM
Actually Ian, Ford is something like 8 billion in debt right now so personally I might be a little concerned about future quality. I posted the article on this somewhere and it is because of their European division and the problems with the Focus in Europe, etc. Yes, in NA, they got their act together, but Bill had better get on the ball with regard to Ford of Europe because it is effecting them big time.

Anyway, I don't know if you saw this article, I think you were moving.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7130&sid=173&n=156

I guess you wouldn't care about this really because according to MSN's homepage, Texas is the cheapest State for gas prices.

razeorc
06-10-04, 10:10 PM
I say to each their own. Leaving a brand you are familiar with may be uncomfortable but don't rely on a bunch of biased Caddy fans to bring you back into the fold if you really are interested in something else. Strike out and see what else is out there to drive, it's fun and exciting and you only have one life to live, enjoy and goodluck!

P.S. no matter what car you drive you're always be welcome here as you were/are a Caddy owner, and if there's one thing I've noticed about most past/present Caddy owners is that eventually they go get themselves another when they can hardly see over the wheel, their back aches, and their bones creak beacuse a Caddy can be like a nursing home on wheels. Damn and I'm still in college ;)

Ralph
06-11-04, 01:22 AM
Of course we are a bit biased, and we drive other cars too.

Adam
06-12-04, 05:17 AM
I've had a town car (94 & 97) and continental (95) and I had nothing but problems out of them. I ve had my 'lac for a little while now and nothin has gone wrong. my lincolns i got nothin but trouble but maybe we just had bad cars. if you want somethin nice get a buick roadmaster a guy i know has one and hes never had a problem

Msilva954
06-12-04, 11:29 AM
Ford made a whole bunch of money this year.....they had big profits and I think within a year or two the PAG will finally be gaining money too. Ford the company and (Bill) have it worked out....they know that it will all come back to them. I just wish they worked a little more with Ford of Austraila.

SoundAdvantage
06-16-04, 01:51 AM
I have alway's loved Cadillacs. Ever since i was a kid i have liked them. Both my cousins had Caddy's and they let me drive them to school and take them cruising when i was a teenager :) of coarse i had to detail them inside and out to have this privilege, but it was worth it. I like the old school Caddy's though, they were really built well and sooo comfortable to drive. I have checked out quite a few of the newer Cadillacs and they just aren't as comfortable inside as the old school cars nor are they built as well. The seats are hard as park benches(too european) and even the dash tops are cheaply made. The only Newer Cadillac that i really like is the 95' RWD Fleetwood with the Chevy LT1 5.7 Litre V-8. These cars have all the quality's i like in a Cadillac. I wouldn't be caught Dead in anything but a Cadillac. :D