: Does anyone know anything about the 2g iphone?

JimmyH
05-11-08, 03:50 PM
There is so much disinformation out there, I cannot make heads or tails of it.

I am debating on whether to get 1gen iphone, or wait and get a 2gen. No one seems to know for sure when they are being released. And alot of places are out of stock, which makes me wonder if the 2nd gen is close or not.

gary88
05-11-08, 04:37 PM
Well Apple is releasing their SDK in late June with the new 2.0 firmware update, so lots of people are guessing the new iPhone will be out around then. Nothing is set in stone though.

If 3G and GPS are important to you, hold out for the new version (supposed to be around $599). If not, the current iPhone isn't too bad at $399, or you can get a refurb for about $250.

I not upgrading, at least not for awhile. I'm connected to WiFi most of the time, and GPS would be nice but I'm not paying that much for that little of an upgrade from what I have now. I'd personally just wait it out until they drop the price like they always do.

JimmyH
05-11-08, 10:11 PM
I dont care about 3g or gps. My only thought is once 2g comes out, 1g will drop in price. But that only works if 1g is still available. And with apple and some other stores being out of stock, I am thinking the 1g might be disappearing.

AMGoff
05-12-08, 01:36 PM
The last I read, the iPhone 2.0 is supposed to be released in June. As far as features go... there are tons of rumors out there but nothing concrete from Apple. I also read that there's a good possibility that AT&T is actually going to start subsidizing the iPhone to the tune of $200... which would mean $199 iPhone for new customers.

I think the only rumor that carries the most water is that it will be 3G capable... while some people think that the iPhone direly needs 3G support.. I'm personally a little hesitant for one reason. Besides the fact that I think Edge is more than suitable for my needs anyway... if the make the iPhone 3G, I think there will be a big increase in the cost of the data plans... and will be more like the data plans offered for Blackberries and such... Right now, I'm paying 15 bucks more a month for what's basically "all you can eat" data... I don't think we'll see that with 3G - especially if AT&T starts subsidizing them as well.

The Tony Show
05-12-08, 01:42 PM
.....and then there's guys like me. I've been sitting back with my stone age Motorola L2 while the iPhone goes through its teething stage. Once they hit $199 through AT&t (my carrier, BTW), I'll be in.

My early adopter days are over, and I'm stress free and have money left over to show for it. :)

AMGoff
05-12-08, 01:49 PM
.....and then there's guys like me. I've been sitting back with my stone age Motorola L2 while the iPhone goes through its teething stage. Once they hit $199 through AT&t (my carrier, BTW), I'll be in.

My early adopter days are over, and I'm stress free and have money left over to show for it. :)

We're basically along the same lines, I wouldn't buy when they first came out... no way was I spending $599 on it. However, once they slashed the price by $200, I felt that price was more in line with the value of the device... and I've been a happy camper ever since... Heck, I'm still surprised I haven't broken the damn thing yet!

Brizzal
05-12-08, 03:17 PM
if it gets lowered to $200 im buying it :)

gary88
05-12-08, 05:19 PM
I can't see the prices getting any lower. If anything, apple will axe the 8GB model, then drop the 16GB model down to $399. It wouldn't make sense to have the iPhone priced lower than the iPod touch.

JimmyH
05-12-08, 09:37 PM
I cannot see them dropping it to $199, unless they offer a rebate for new customers. I am sure they would discontinue it first.

I just meant if I could find some leftovers out there on clearance, or else pick up a used one cheap. I will probably have to go to an apple store though, as I have $125 in apple giftcards I need to use up.

gary88
05-12-08, 09:52 PM
Here's your answer

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,355201,00.html

AMGoff
05-12-08, 11:45 PM
I'll have to find the article that I read which spoke about it.... but it wouldn't be Apple slashing the price of the iPhone... it would be AT&T subsidizing a chunk of the cost for new customers signing a new service agreement.. just like they do with all of their other phones. Does anyone think that "free" Motorola is actually free? Not at all... Motorola's still making their same profit, it's just the carrier offsetting the cost of the handset in return for you being locked in for so many years..

It's not that absurd... especially if AT&T sees it as a chance to get more customers. The iPhone has sold really well, but there's too many people put off by the cost and if anything, that hurts AT&T more than it does Apple... Apple will get their money either way - AT&T just wants more customers.

JimmyH
05-13-08, 04:34 PM
They are out, interesting. I think I might wait until the new one is ready to be released, and see if the stores (there is one near me) are going to drop prices of the current unit.

I have a pretty good monthly price right now, and I really do not want to sign a new contract.