: Anyone using a tablet pc?

Jesda
05-11-08, 04:00 AM
I shipped my HP notebook to the service center for repairs. Stupid motherboard took a dump on me. A friend kindly loaned me his fujitsu tablet PC to use in the meantime. I'm not sure I see the point. I am writing this post by hand and so far it is much slower them typing.

The pen doesn't recognize fast enough for drawing either. At least it recognizes my sloppy penmanship.

c5 rv
05-11-08, 08:17 AM
Interesting. I've thought about one in the past, but wondered if they were ready for "prime time". Apparently not.

I'm on my 3rd or 4th Palm device and I think the handwriting recognition has gotten worse over the years. (Palm lost a patent infringement suit brought by Xerox regarding the original Graffiti. That may have something to do with it.) I now find myself typing out appointments and contacts using the on-screen keyboard on my Palm TX.

I'd like to find a slightly larger device, maybe an 8" screen, with a full keyboard, PDA and basic computing functions, and wireless, while retaining Palm's instant-on feature.

Jesda
05-11-08, 08:50 AM
One device that caught my eye is the Samsung Q. It lets you play music and video without booting windows, so it can kind of replace the ipod. This tablet is too heavy to hold with one hand. On a desk the angle of the screen makes the LCD wash out at the top. It lacks a stand for desktop use so I am leaning it against my briefcase with the keyboard plugged in.

I guess certain industries can benefit from this. Otherwise I don't get it. Maybe Marvin can chime in since he has one in his Eldorado.

gothicaleigh
05-11-08, 09:22 AM
Get one of these and make your own tablet PC:

Wacom Cintiq 21UX
http://www.wacom.com/lightbox/images/Cintiq21WX_1.jpg

It's not a portable solution (if that is what you are looking for), but is the best on-screen input device available.

I'm not baller enough to have one of the Cintiqs, but I would be lost without my Intuous3.

Sinister Angel
05-11-08, 10:09 AM
gothica: That thing looks like it would be sex for graphic designers and shit

ewill3rd
05-11-08, 11:45 AM
My wife has a tablet laptop.
The main reason she has it is because she has one hand, she can turn the screen at an angle and position the keyboard so she can type easily.
A regular laptop puts her at an odd angle since the screen turns with the keyboard.
She never takes out the pen.
I used it a few times, but she won't let me play with it. She doesn't trust me anymore.
Oh well.
I have 6 of my own PC's... :lol:

c5 rv
05-11-08, 12:35 PM
I'm thinking about the HP mini-note.

slk230mb
05-11-08, 03:15 PM
I had an IBM X41t from my job in college for my senior year. I didn't think it was anything special to write home about.

c5 rv
05-11-08, 05:28 PM
Even worse, I'm "Typing" from our wii.

AMGoff
05-12-08, 01:44 PM
I've actually been thinking about picking one up for shits and giggles here lately... especially since GainSaver is blowing out 1.1GHz Pentium M MotionComputing tablets for $299... Even more enticing is that one of the latest Intel Mac OS hacked installations allows for easy installation without jumping through all of the hoops and messing with firmware/bios and such. I'd just have to make sure there is a suitable driver for the digitizer, if so it would work perfectly since the Mac OS has its "Inkwell" technology built into it... I've always fancied the thought of an iTablet... lol.

RunningOnEMT
05-12-08, 02:00 PM
We have the new toughbook tablets for emergency management at the fire stations in my county.

I love them, makes scene management very very easy.

If you have applications specially designed to be used with a tablet PC it makes if much more useful (i.e. lots of touchbuttons, large data entry fields etc.) but trying to integrate the tablet functions into daily use is a bit annoying.

http://www.highplains.com/Graphics/Photos/CF18_2.jpg

GizmoQ
05-12-08, 08:11 PM
As I sit here on the dock of my favoite lake watching the fish eat my bait without ever touching the hook, I can leisurely write on my tablet. Yes I use the handwriting recognition. And yes ir isn't for the impatient or comparable to anyone who can type more than 100 words per minute, but it suites me just fine. I us mine in my doctoral classes to take notes as well as have it mounted in the car for navigation, entertainment, OBD II diagnostics and such. Mine has a very good outdoor readable screen, I upgraded to max memory and a large fast harddrive so I have plenty power (even for voice recognition) if I need it.

The thing is - its just not for everyone. I've had tablets of one kind or another for the last 12 years. So they have grown up around me and my needs (and vice versa). I've beta tested both tablet hardware and software so I had a say in some of that. But to have one dropped in your lap given your comfort level with a laptop, I understand your lack of enthusiasm.

Life is all about tradeoffs. I still have 2 laptops and four desktops, but most of my time is spent on one of my five tablets (especially the one Jesda is talking about) cause its ALWAYS conveniently available. The desktops are my main network server, my ORB Server and two backups. The laptops are for the kitchen and my headboard of my bed. But I move from room to room and outside and up and down the road and around and around and around the world. Hell my tablet has a 4 hour battery, 10.4 in 1024x768 XGA, hardware video acceleration, and allows me internet access worldwide. So what if handwriting recognition is slower than typing. I only use it maybe 2% of the time. If I has to use it much more than 10%, I'd use my laptop.

Eric Kahn
05-12-08, 10:02 PM
my palm is crappy at handwriting recognition, my sony Clie (no longer made) with the palm operating system was so much better at it

97DevilleBeige
05-12-08, 11:02 PM
I have an HP TX1220US tablet notebook. It's pretty good at impressing people, that's about it. Every once in a while I'll use my finger to poke instead of using the mouse to click, but I don't use the touchscreen option much at all. On vacation, I was in the 3rd row of a Lexus SUV, so I didn't have a lot of space. That's when it came in handy to flip the screen around into tablet mode and play solitaire with the pen. I could probably live without it. Only reason I got it was because it was a killer deal.

Jesda
05-13-08, 09:06 AM
The tablet got my respect this morning at the office. Instead of printing a pull sheet for each order, I just took the tablet into the storage room and pulled items all at once. Saved time and paper!

then again, a laptop could do the same thing.