: What happen to my overdrive???????

dadillac27
05-10-08, 05:54 AM
Ok guys first off i really need some help and thanks in advance.
I just got a 1996 deville from my father that only has 80,000 miles on it. I've been driving it for about a month now and out of nowhere it just slips when going into overdrive. The tranny shifts fine all the way up to overdrive then its like it just goes in to neutral. I took the car to repair 1 and had the tranny serviced and they said the fluid smelled burnt but there were no shavings in the pan. It still just slips and ive been driving it in 3rd since. Repair 1 told me that "my overdrive gear burnt out". Does this sound right? This happened without any symptoms at all just one day it shifted fine and the next it didnt. There are no codes as well. Please let me know if you guys got any suggestions

Submariner409
05-10-08, 10:53 AM
Isn't the transmission a 4-speed auto with torque convertor lockup for a sort of "overdrive" ? If so, perhaps the TCC control has gone to lunch. I've seen other TCC solenoid problems in here........and, if the car has defaulted to a second gear start, that's why you only feel 3 speeds. Even without TCC the transmission should have 4 speeds (even if they don't all work right now).

Highline Cady
05-10-08, 08:02 PM
First, take it to a better mechanic, period. There isn't any "overdrive gear." Subs diagnosis is already better and he's never even seen the car.

dadillac27
05-11-08, 07:10 AM
yeah i hear ya......im gonna take it to Aamco and get a second opinion. Ill get back to you guys and let you know what they say.
Thanks again

Highline Cady
05-13-08, 11:24 PM
Take It To A Cadillac Dealer!

darien99
05-15-08, 08:12 PM
You have a good chance your tranmission is internally fine clutch/band wise. I had the EXACT same thing happen to my sts a month ago. It turns out our solenoid brackets in the trans aren't as strong as they should be, so at around 100K miles the actually break away from where they need to be.
There is updated solenoids available that are built stronger so this won't happen again. You probably have a trans code too I take it? Undefined gear ratio?

So this fix will not be nearly as expensive as it appears to be (if I'm right anyway) The trans will not have to be pulled out for the 4th gear solenoid, they just need to drop out your valve body. :thumbsup:

dadillac27
05-19-08, 06:56 AM
i really hope your right....I'll let you know when i take it to the dealer to get checked out. Im still driving it in 3rd till then and its doing fine.