: Hyundai May Lend Engine Technology To Mercedes

Lord Cadillac
05-09-08, 09:32 PM
Hyundai, now a world-class engine manufacturer, may lend engine technology to Mercedes-Benz for a future four-cylinder powerplant. It was just a few short years ago that DaimlerChrysler, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai banded together in the Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance (GEMA) to build the so-called World Engine (pictured at right). The GEMA engine, with displacements ranging from 1.8-liters up to 2.4-liters, is found under the hood of more than a handful of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai products.

Read more... (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/09/hyundai-exec-talks-engine-sharing-with-mercedes-benz/)

They've certainly come a long way...

LS1Mike
05-09-08, 09:52 PM
Hmm, that is interesting alliance, I didnt read the article but will be curious to see what Hyundai gets in return.

Florian
05-09-08, 10:51 PM
Hmm, that is interesting alliance, I didnt read the article but will be curious to see what Hyundai gets in return.

lots of kimchee.

F

TomDeville
05-09-08, 11:48 PM
^^^^^^^
If that.
:cool2:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-10-08, 09:21 AM
Hmmmm....interesting.
Never thought I'd see the day.

Thomas Carey
05-10-08, 10:58 AM
Cough.. Cough.. Double take... Wow! Has someone checked the temp in Hell lately? I never ever thought I would see this sort of thing happening. Sure makes you wonder does it not?

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

Blackout
05-10-08, 11:06 AM
Damn Sal. Too bad our crystal balls never saw this years ago. If we would have said that this would happen on here years ago we would have gotten banned and lynched by the other members on here lol

The Tony Show
05-10-08, 11:30 AM
Meh....a crap brand loaning engines to an overrated one. :yawn:

AMGoff
05-10-08, 01:15 PM
Those "world engines" are decent little motors... as was stated, Diamler already had a working relationship with Hyundai and they must have liked the results, so it only seems they wish to continue further. The only people who would think this idea is stupid and/or crazy are those whose only argument against new Hyundais is something along the lines of, "It's still a Hyundai."

Would I ever personally buy one? Of course not... but anyone who has a preference for Asian cars is doing themselves a disservice by not checking out a new Hyundai before they go running to the Toyondan dealer...

If Cadillac can turn their reputation around, then why can't a Korean automaker?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-10-08, 01:30 PM
I like Hyundai and Mercedes, but I never thought I'd see it like this.

Blackout
05-10-08, 03:19 PM

:lies:

Cadillacboy
05-11-08, 12:33 PM
Pagani Zonda uses Mercedes engines too lol

LS1Mike
05-11-08, 02:22 PM

You crack me up man! :histeric:
I stopped saying stuff like that on here.

Still intresting that they teamed up though. I wonder how come they didn't approach GM about unsing the ECOTEC or Honda about one of their smaller engines.

Blackout
05-13-08, 12:09 PM
You crack me up man! :histeric:
I stopped saying stuff like that on here.

Still intresting that they teamed up though. I wonder how come they didn't approach GM about unsing the ECOTEC or Honda about one of their smaller engines.
Because Hyundai was probably the cheapest and I doubt Mercedes wants a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder with a 8900 rpm redline. Hell the Honda engines probably don't generate enough torque to even move a Benz lol

Thomas Carey
05-13-08, 12:15 PM
I like Hyundai and Mercedes, but I never thought I'd see it like this.

I agree with you. Never thought I would see the day. Well at least not at this point in time.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-13-08, 12:37 PM
Well, atleast they're not borrowing motors from Bavarian Motor Werks. Because that would just be embarrasing.

jonnyd
05-13-08, 12:41 PM
well remmeber when mercedes and BMW were going to start to share parts???

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/11/bmw-and-mercedes-sitting-in-a-tree-k-i-s-s-i-n-g/

not sure if it has come back up recently.

orconn
05-13-08, 02:22 PM
Americans seem to forget that Mercedes is primarily a truck manufacturer and also supplies a good percentage of the world's taxi fleet. A percentage of M-B's production are not the overly loaded with high tech gimickry models of Mercedes that American Status seekers seem to love. I can tell you from personal experince that Mercedes can used any help they can get to improve their four cylinder engines and the manual transmissions they attach to them. The combo I had in my 2002 Mercedes was pretty "agricultural" to put it mildly! So I say to Mercedes get all the help from whomever you can to produce a state of the art 4 banger!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-13-08, 02:26 PM
Yeah, in Europe and Africa, M-B makes class 7 and 8 semi trucks.

jey
05-19-08, 02:34 PM
well remmeber when mercedes and BMW were going to start to share parts???

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/11/bmw-and-mercedes-sitting-in-a-tree-k-i-s-s-i-n-g/

not sure if it has come back up recently.

Interesting that you mention this, because it DID just come back up - in this morning's Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121115378277302185.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Daimler, BMW Discuss
Linkup on Components
By EDWARD TAYLOR
May 19, 2008; Page B1

BMW AG and Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz Cars division are in talks to explore teaming up in developing, producing and purchasing car components, according to people familiar with the matter.

The move marks a recognition by Germany's archrival luxury car makers that they may need bigger economies of scale to bolster profits.

Executives and engineers from the car divisions of BMW and Daimler "from the top, right down to the middle management" are discussing how the companies could jointly buy car parts, including seat frames and air-conditioning modules, said one person familiar with the talks.