: 3.6 and oil fill up

stillen
05-08-08, 02:37 PM
When it comes time to put more oil the 3.6 engine do I need to leave it a half quart low so as not to encourage oil consumption.

Can I let it get a quart low before adding oil to it but by not filling it up all the way itsone and half quart low is this OK or do I need to add oil when it gets a quart low.

thanx stillen

stillen
05-08-08, 11:01 PM
If I let it get a quart low then its a quart and a half low is this OK or do need to add a half quart every time to keep it half quart low.

C&C
05-11-08, 07:49 AM
How about filling it to the fill mark and monitor. Not trying to be a smartass, just trying to keep it simple; it sounds as you're obsessing a bit.

stillen
05-11-08, 05:39 PM
HAH may be right but I just read if you fill it to full then you encourage oil consumption.

have a good one

lewisforjesus
05-17-08, 02:00 PM
Hi Stillen. I'm thinking of buying a new CTS, so I decided to rent one to verify I like it's performance and handling(rented for a whole week). When I checked it out from Enterprise, I looked it over fairly well before departing. In the process I checked under the hood. All looked well. I did notice a slight ticking noise, but thought this might be inherent to this engine. Drove from OKC to Denver and noticed the ticking noise was more prominant. I knew this wasn't proper, so I checked the oil. It was exactly one quart low. I purchased a quart of the proper oil and filled it up. The ticking noise was completely gone. I'm thinking the oil level is fairly crittical. Hope this helps. Lewis