: '01 Deville with Half case leak, any temp fixes/band-aides?

risho
05-08-08, 12:27 PM
After changing my alternator due to it basically being drenched with oil overtime I have decided to do the half case leak I have in my Deville this summer instead of putting it off till the winter, i'm up to about a quart of oil every 1200-1500miles.

I had two questions just for now while I am saving up for this not so cheap job, would using 10-w30 weight instead of 5-30 oil help at all as far as slowing down the leak? And in city driving i'm starting to get more and more smoke from the oil falling on the exhaust, would using header wrap avoid this annoying smell/smoke, or would it just make it worse because the wrap would eventually become drenched in oil?(FYI i've already tried ATVing the whole oil pan when I first thought that was the source of the leak with no luck at all)

Submariner409
05-08-08, 12:49 PM
10W-30 will leak just as fast. Header wrap (and our boat engine installs use a lot of it - we go through hundreds of feet a year) will act just like a sponge and soak up oil which then makes clouds of smoke when the pipe gets hot enough. (You don't want to experience burning green antifreeze, like from a leaking marine exhaust manifold - they're water cooled....)