: American Heroes

lawfive
05-08-08, 12:22 PM
This is the best video I've seen on YouTube, ever. It was created by a fifteen year old girl.

It made me cry.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ervaMPt4Ha0&autoplay=1

RightTurn
05-08-08, 01:43 PM
Youtube is blocked at work. :( I'll have to cry later.

dkozloski
05-09-08, 01:17 AM
Beautiful.

illumina
05-09-08, 01:25 AM
I miss being a soldier. Man that was good! thanks!

Brizzal
05-09-08, 01:38 AM
:patriot:

Spyder
05-09-08, 02:25 AM
Excellent.

EcSTSatic
05-09-08, 01:24 PM
I don't miss it, but I would do it again! Whether for or against war, It helps to know folks at home are behind the troops. If you get an opportunity, show you care.

Semper Fi

http://www.armystore.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/RC1209_large.jpg

JimmyH
05-09-08, 04:40 PM
that was definitely a well thoughtout, well put-together montage.

CadillacGurl
05-09-08, 10:13 PM
I lost it when I saw all the people at the funerals and they were given the flag folded.

LS1Mike
05-09-08, 10:48 PM
Good stuff.

Highline Cady
05-09-08, 11:21 PM
:usflag:

93DevilleUSMC
05-10-08, 02:09 AM
Those who will never serve can say what they want about the war, the President, or whoever. In a larger sense, their opinions remain irrelevant. What will never change is that Soldiers, sailors, Marines, and airmen will go where we send them to do what we need them to do. They alone will face nightmares that the rest of their fellow citizens will never even contemplate facing. They will make sacrifices that could never be asked of those whose idea of sacrifice is missing a Sunday football game. They will lose their comrades, and parts of themselves. No one made them sign up for this: they chose it. They chose it because they love the rest of us, and because they chose to serve in harm's way, we can all make the choices we want.

Honor them.

illumina
05-10-08, 02:38 AM
Those who will never serve can say what they want about the war, the President, or whoever. In a larger sense, their opinions remain irrelevant. What will never change is that Soldiers, sailors, Marines, and airmen will go where we send them to do what we need them to do. They alone will face nightmares that the rest of their fellow citizens will never even contemplate facing. They will make sacrifices that could never be asked of those whose idea of sacrifice is missing a Sunday football game. They will lose their comrades, and parts of themselves. No one made them sign up for this: they chose it. They chose it because they love the rest of us, and because they chose to serve in harm's way, we can all make the choices we want.

Honor them.

Thank you!!!

It gets old hearing someone (90%) whine on campus about war this, president that, American killers this. Being that I am 29 and older than about 95% of these students of *higher* education, I just shake my head and hope that someday they will learn...

93DevilleUSMC
05-10-08, 03:53 AM
Thank you!!!

It gets old hearing someone (90%) whine on campus about war this, president that, American killers this. Being that I am 29 and older than about 95% of these students of *higher* education, I just shake my head and hope that someday they will learn...

Maybe for some, age will change their minds. But more than likely, they'll pass their mindless whining down to their kids, who will be defended by our kids.

The same thing happened with the Vietnam generation. Those who hated both the war and the troops whined and complained about both, and passed their whining bitterness down to the next generation. Those who served passed a legacy of service down to their kids. Still today, you have the doers and the whiners. It happened with the last generation's war, and it will happen in the next generation's war, too.

Lieutenant Colonel Randolph C. White, U.S. Army, put it this way: "For my money, there are two kinds of men in this world; men of action, and all others."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbOcJ6kqJAA

The Tony Show
05-10-08, 12:56 PM
With a Brother serving in the 1st Ranger BN, the funeral footage is hard to watch. He's in SERE school for three weeks right now, but will eventually head to the sandbox for a 5th time.

Thank you to everyone in this thread who served or is serving our country.

93DevilleUSMC
05-10-08, 02:20 PM
With a Brother serving in the 1st Ranger BN, the funeral footage is hard to watch. He's in SERE school for three weeks right now, but will eventually head to the sandbox for a 5th time.

Thank you to everyone in this thread who served or is serving our country.

God bless and protect your brother, sir. How long has he been a ranger?

The Tony Show
05-10-08, 05:16 PM
5 years since he enlisted in the Army, and I approximately 3 since he got his Ranger tab. He wanted to go Ranger right out of the gate and his ASVAB scores were through the roof, but still had to wait.

He's been through Boot, Jump, Sniper, Ranger and now SERE- at this point I think he's running out of bases to go for training. :D

93DevilleUSMC
05-10-08, 08:40 PM
5 years since he enlisted in the Army, and I approximately 3 since he got his Ranger tab. He wanted to go Ranger right out of the gate and his ASVAB scores were through the roof, but still had to wait.

He's been through Boot, Jump, Sniper, Ranger and now SERE- at this point I think he's running out of bases to go for training. :D

Let's see, he's still got a few places he could ask to go. he could go to Ft. Bragg if he felt like being SF or Delta :cool2:

The Tony Show
05-10-08, 09:21 PM
He's expressed and interest in Delta, so you never know.

Spyder
05-10-08, 10:27 PM
Lost a half-bro in the marines.

Have many friends over there right now, some coming home soon and some who just left last friday. More often than not, when I see a man or woman in uniform I thank them. Not for anything in particular, but just for doing what most of us won't, can't or are unwilling to do.

Paraphrased, because I can't find the article in American Rifleman from a few months back. It was a quote from a guy who payed the way for a bunch of marines to go through a specialty combat training program, extra and above what the military does. When asked why he did it, why he wrote a check for something like a hundred thousand dollars, he looked at the writer and said "...because to protect liberty, this country and its people you sign your recruitment papers or sign a check. Here's mine."

Damnitt, I wish I had the article still...gonna go dig it up, if I can, if I didn't toss that particular mag.

LS1Mike
05-10-08, 11:09 PM
I spent 1 and 1/2 years in the Army and 11 in the Navy.
I just had a buddy I had kept in touch with for years from the Army not make it back. I had not heard from him in awhile and his mom called to let me know.
She had a list she was going down. Makes my heart ache to think about it.
Thanks to all who still care enough to take America seriously and stand up and defend it.
To folks who don't like America, no one is keeping you here or if you are that unhappy stand up and do something about it. That is what make America great.

hueterm
05-10-08, 11:34 PM
This is the best video I've seen on YouTube, ever. It was created by a fifteen year old girl.

It made me cry.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ervaMPt4Ha0&autoplay=1

Same here...that was inspiring and sad at the same time.

Kind of reminds me when you see a group of soldiers walking through the airport and people stop to applaud. Not everyone is so cynical and critical about everything as it seems sometimes.

Destroyer
05-11-08, 09:17 AM
Maybe for some, age will change their minds. But more than likely, they'll pass their mindless whining down to their kids, who will be defended by our kids.

The same thing happened with the Vietnam generation. Those who hated both the war and the troops whined and complained about both, and passed their whining bitterness down to the next generation. Those who served passed a legacy of service down to their kids. Still today, you have the doers and the whiners. It happened with the last generation's war, and it will happen in the next generation's war, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbOcJ6kqJAA
What?. What exactly are you talking about?. Not supporting a BS war is NOT the same as not supporting the troops. You guys just take it that way. You guys should be more agitated than ANYONE for being duped into fighting and killed in a war that never should have happened and benefited nobody.

Everyone that served in Iraq or any war is a hero in my book. I dont understand the comment about passing down a legacy of service to the kids though. After fighting in Iraq and knowing first hand the corruptness of the government and failed policy, why would anyone want to put their kid through that?.

The Tony Show
05-11-08, 10:53 AM
Because they are proud of helping disrupt terrorist organizations both training in and being funded by Iraq's Baath party, and want their children to provide a similar service to their Country when another threat arises.

Also, denying people hating the troops in Vietnam shows incredible naivete. My Father was spit on and called a fascist and baby killer upon his return from Vietnam (with a Purple Heart). Mob mentality takes over when people disagree with a war, and soon takes an ugly mutation into hate of the troops. It happens- plain and simple.

lawfive
05-11-08, 11:23 AM
Guys, this thread is headed towards being a political discussion or debate, and if that happens it could be locked.

CIWS
05-11-08, 11:26 AM
Nice video Jerry :thumbsup:

Destroyer
05-11-08, 06:15 PM
Because they are proud of helping disrupt terrorist organizations both training in and being funded by Iraq's Baath party, and want their children to provide a similar service to their Country when another threat arises.Thats not exactly what happened but lets not get overly political here over it.

Also, denying people hating the troops in Vietnam shows incredible naivete. My Father was spit on and called a fascist and baby killer upon his return from Vietnam (with a Purple Heart). Mob mentality takes over when people disagree with a war, and soon takes an ugly mutation into hate of the troops. It happens- plain and simple.I'm not denying the unfair treatment the Vietnam veterans recieved after the Vietnam war but I dont think that is what happened this time around. If anything most just want the troops to arrive home safely and quickly and for this nightmare of a situation in Iraq to be over with.

dkozloski
05-11-08, 06:28 PM
If Iraq winds up with a functioning democratic government there will be a tectonic shift in the Arab world. You will then see what the war was all about, grasshopper. Sometimes these world affairs are a little bit too complicated for the typical superficial American thinker to comprehend.

Destroyer
05-11-08, 06:37 PM
If Iraq winds up with a functioning democratic government there will be a tectonic shift in the Arab world. You will then see what the war was all about, grasshopper. Sometimes these world affairs are a little bit too complicated for the typical superficial American thinker to comprehend.
Right, it takes a complex thinker like Bush. I'm done and I'm not gonna get hot over it, not here, locust. :thepan:

dkozloski
05-11-08, 06:46 PM
Right, it takes a complex thinker like Bush. I'm done and I'm not gonna get hot over it, not here, locust. :thepan:
Bush is a strategic thinker in the land of the 30 second solution for every problem. He's unappreciated at the moment. Years from now we'll know how it turned out. He's content to wait; his critics want closure now. Patience has never been an American trait.

Destroyer
05-11-08, 06:56 PM
Bush is a strategic thinker in the land of the 30 second solution for every problem. He's unappreciated at the moment. Years from now we'll know how it turned out. He's content to wait; his critics want closure now. Patience has never been an American trait.LOL, your'e funny.:kick:

dkozloski
05-11-08, 07:02 PM
LOL, your'e funny.:kick:

I'd rather be funny, Ha!Ha!:D than funny peculiar.:wacky:

Rolex
05-11-08, 10:41 PM
That's a wonderful video. Thanks for posting it

93DevilleUSMC
05-11-08, 11:46 PM
What?. What exactly are you talking about?. Not supporting a BS war is NOT the same as not supporting the troops. You guys just take it that way. You guys should be more agitated than ANYONE for being duped into fighting and killed in a war that never should have happened and benefited nobody.

Everyone that served in Iraq or any war is a hero in my book. I dont understand the comment about passing down a legacy of service to the kids though. After fighting in Iraq and knowing first hand the corruptness of the government and failed policy, why would anyone want to put their kid through that?.

One, I was talking about serving in the military, period, as opposed to uninformed sermonizing of the type I am subjected to nearly every day regarding this war. For example, I didn't mention Iraq.

Two, none of us were duped. We signed our papers. Matter of fact, re-enlistment rates in the Army and Marine Corps are up during the Iraq War; you might not want to let this fact ruin your version of the world, but Soldiers and Marines, among others, are people who love to fight wars and are choosing to go to fight this war. There are those Soldiers and Marines who oppose this war, who still go back because their Commander in Chief gave the order.

Third, assuming you actually read something other than CNN propaganda, you should read a book called Imperial Grunts by Robert D. Kaplan, or Making the Corps by Thomas E. Ricks. Both books talk about how servicemen's children later join the military themselves, and how military service becomes a family tradition. My grandfather, for example, was an Army medic who was stationed in Japan during Korea; my great uncle is a retired Air Force C-130 crew chief who fought in Vietnam.

Fourth, what is your definition of "supporting the troops", exactly? Waving a flag and saying that you love the troops simply because it is a cultural thing now? Unlike in Vietnam, where hating the troops was fashionable, it is now a norm to respect the troops. To support is to sustain and assist someone in their actions, not to merely like them.

93DevilleUSMC
05-11-08, 11:47 PM
He's expressed and interest in Delta, so you never know.

Tell him that he has my respect any day.

93DevilleUSMC
05-11-08, 11:48 PM
Lost a half-bro in the marines.

Have many friends over there right now, some coming home soon and some who just left last friday. More often than not, when I see a man or woman in uniform I thank them. Not for anything in particular, but just for doing what most of us won't, can't or are unwilling to do.

Paraphrased, because I can't find the article in American Rifleman from a few months back. It was a quote from a guy who payed the way for a bunch of marines to go through a specialty combat training program, extra and above what the military does. When asked why he did it, why he wrote a check for something like a hundred thousand dollars, he looked at the writer and said "...because to protect liberty, this country and its people you sign your recruitment papers or sign a check. Here's mine."

Damnitt, I wish I had the article still...gonna go dig it up, if I can, if I didn't toss that particular mag.

I'm sorry for your loss, man.

93DevilleUSMC
05-11-08, 11:50 PM
Guys, this thread is headed towards being a political discussion or debate, and if that happens it could be locked.

Then let it get locked, but before it does, I can and will defend this war and those who fight it.

93DevilleUSMC
05-11-08, 11:56 PM

Exactly, Dkoz, exactly. To understand world affairs, you actually have to bother reading about them, as opposed to watching so-called "documentaries" on youtube and aping Alex Jones talking points.

Destroyer
05-12-08, 12:08 AM
Then let it get locked, but before it does, I can and will defend this war and those who fight it.
Nobody condemned those who fight it except the one who ordered you in there in the first place. You like it?. Fine have fun with it!. You are what the boss wants. I aint stepping down bro, you think you are accomplishing something then go ahead and accomplish what you feel you need to but dont put me down for feeling the way I do. I told you I have nothing but respect for the military, your just begging for a fight. The military are simply figures on a chess set, its the player or in this case commander in chief that dictates what those pieces do. I'm not blaming you for anything, I commend you for having the balls to defend your country. I commend you for putting your life on the line. Nobody said anything in this thread that needs defending. My problem is with the President. :mad:

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-08, 12:25 AM
Nobody condemned those who fight it except the one who ordered you in there in the first place. You like it?. Fine have fun with it!. You are what the boss wants. I aint stepping down bro, you think you are accomplishing something then go ahead and accomplish what you feel you need to but dont put me down for feeling the way I do. I told you I have nothing but respect for the military, your just begging for a fight. The military are simply figures on a chess set, its the player or in this case commander in chief that dictates what those pieces do. I'm not blaming you for anything, I commend you for having the balls to defend your country. I commend you for putting your life on the line. Nobody said anything in this thread that needs defending. My problem is with the President. :mad:

Are you going to get mad, or respond to my other points like a logical person? I wasn't looking for a fight, but if you want one, let's go. I never accused you of blaming me for anything; all I did was defend both this war and the people who fight it, and explaining a comment that I made earlier.

Thank you for the commendations, sir.

Rolex
05-12-08, 12:37 AM
Enough of the bullshit already. :mad:

Destroyer
05-12-08, 12:41 AM
Are you going to get mad, or respond to my other points like a logical person? I wasn't looking for a fight, but if you want one, let's go. I never accused you of blaming me for anything; all I did was defend both this war and the people who fight it, and explaining a comment that I made earlier.

Thank you for the commendations, sir.Defend when threatened, nobody threatened you. No problems here. Peace!;)

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-08, 12:46 AM
Defend when threatened, nobody threatened you. No problems here. Peace!;)

I'm not talking about that kind of defend; I'm talking about defend as in to present one side of things so as to make it apparent why one would see things in a given way.

dkozloski
05-12-08, 12:50 AM
You can't discuss ideas with somebody who never had an original one of their own.

illumina
05-12-08, 12:54 AM
Destroyer, have you ever served before?

dkozloski
05-12-08, 01:19 AM
He's not at all frightened you understand,
But if he is called on to fight for his land,
He wants to be ready to play in the band.

Destroyer
05-12-08, 07:28 AM
Destroyer, have you ever served before?Lets drop it cause this has nowhere to go.:tisk:

The Tony Show
05-12-08, 09:13 AM
Tell him that he has my respect any day.

Thank you- I will. :thumbsup:

We're extremely proud, not only that he chooses to serve and continues to seek the most difficult training he can get, but also of what he's accomplished. When one man comes back from the front lines with so many stories of captured bomb making homes filled to the roof with explosives, weapons and training materials instructing others how to do it, it makes you aware of just how much is being accomplished over there every day.

War isn't pretty and doesn't happen overnight. Everyone expected Iraq to buckle and institute a Democracy overnight like this is some Hollywood movie, but it doesn't work that way. A lot of people have seen WWII movies like Saving Private Ryan, but apparently they've never really seen them. When compared to every other major engagement our Country has been involved in, our casualties are shockingly low.

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-08, 12:54 PM
Lets drop it cause this has nowhere to go.:tisk:

Actually, I think it's a relevant question. Have you ever served? Yes, or no?

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-08, 01:02 PM
Thank you- I will. :thumbsup:

We're extremely proud, not only that he chooses to serve and continues to seek the most difficult training he can get, but also of what he's accomplished. When one man comes back from the front lines with so many stories of captured bomb making homes filled to the roof with explosives, weapons and training materials instructing others how to do it, it makes you aware of just how much is being accomplished over there every day.

War isn't pretty and doesn't happen overnight. Everyone expected Iraq to buckle and institute a Democracy overnight like this is some Hollywood movie, but it doesn't work that way. A lot of people have seen WWII movies like Saving Private Ryan, but apparently they've never really seen them. When compared to every other major engagement our Country has been involved in, our casualties are shockingly low.

Guys like your brother, not athletes, commentators, or politicians make this country able to stand up and thrive.

Our own country didn't become a working democracy just because our Army, Navy, and Marine Corps were formed in 1775, or just because we signed a piece of paper declaring independence from Britain. We had to continue fighting the British until 1783, and even then, we did not have the Constitution until 1787. This is to say nothing of how this country was invaded by a foreign power, threatened with invasion and diplomatic sabotage, and was nearly split apart in a Civil War seventy-three years later.
If our own government took so long to set up, then how can any rational person think that Iraq is just going to stabilize, and that it isn't going to take both American and Iraqi blood to do so?

dkozloski
05-12-08, 02:07 PM
I think it's interesting that the majority of the troops that are doing the fighting can understand that it's going to take time and understand why they are there even if the anti-war fanatics running around trying to find somebody to surrender to cannot. Severely wounded troops, even amputees, are requesting to return to their units and their buddies when in earlier wars they would have been sent home with what was then called a "million dollar wound". Maybe the current warriors serving their country are earning a distinction of their own just like the "Greatest Generation".

The Tony Show
05-12-08, 02:15 PM
I agree, and am absolutely disgusted by the Politicians on Capitol Hill who are selling out our Servicemen and saying that the Iraq operation is a failure, and that we've lost. Not only has our society become incredibly impatient, but I also blame the expanded media coverage and daily death tolls being printed in the newspaper (which I find unconscionable, by the way).

Politicians looking to make a name for themselves seize on 4,000 Military deaths over 5 years as "proof" that we've lost- that's an average of 2.19 per day. In the 4 year period of WWII, the US lost 418,500 troops- that's 287 per day (average). Imagine what the world would look like today if these cowardly lawmakers had been around back then to buffalo the public into believing we should abandon that campaign.

dkozloski
05-12-08, 02:29 PM
I agree, and am absolutely disgusted by the Politicians on Capitol Hill who are selling out our Servicemen and saying that the Iraq operation is a failure, and that we've lost. Not only has our society become incredibly impatient, but I also blame the expanded media coverage and daily death tolls being printed in the newspaper (which I find unconscionable, by the way).

Politicians looking to make a name for themselves seize on 4,000 Military deaths over 5 years as "proof" that we've lost- that's an average of 2.19 per day. In the 4 year period of WWII, the US lost 418,500 troops- that's 287 per day (average). Imagine what the world would look like today if these cowardly lawmakers had been around back then to buffalo the public into believing we should abandon that campaign.
There were cowardly people advocating a pullout from WWII. The difference is that the news media gave them the exact degree of attention they deserved which was none at all.

Destroyer
05-12-08, 03:58 PM
Actually, I think it's a relevant question. Have you ever served? Yes, or no?
No and I'm glad I didn't. I wont allow my son to either. No brainwashing here. No way, no thanks. :banghead:

The Tony Show
05-12-08, 04:04 PM
"Brainwashing". Ha ha. I can't even begin to formulate an argument to such a ridiculous statement.

It's your freedom to pass the responsibility on to someone braver than yourself that my Brother and thousands of others fight and sometimes die for.

RunningOnEMT
05-12-08, 04:11 PM
i ahve the utmost respect for anyone who serves.

My best friend just finished his second tour in afghanistan, i don't know how he did it. I can't serve in that manner, i don't have the mantality for it. But i can do what i do, so i run out of the firehouse in uniform at the drop of a bell. Not the same but its a tradition of service so again my respect to those who do what i can't

EcSTSatic
05-12-08, 04:20 PM
No and I'm glad I didn't. I wont allow my son to either. No brainwashing here. No way, no thanks. :banghead:

I was following in the background. I have to admit that was a poor choice of words. So you aren't going to allow your son to exercise his right to choose when he comes of age?

RightTurn
05-12-08, 04:45 PM
When he comes of age, he can make his own decision.

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-08, 04:58 PM

Yeah, like you could stop him. If he wants to sign his papers and enlist after he turns 18, then Mommy and Daddy can do absolutely crap to stop him. Oddly enough, my dad thought he could stop me. It didn't work out that well for him, as I signed the papers anyway.

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-08, 05:00 PM
I was following in the background. I have to admit that was a poor choice of words. So you aren't going to allow your son to exercise his right to choose when he comes of age?

I'd love to see him try.

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-08, 05:13 PM
I have the utmost respect for anyone who serves.

My best friend just finished his second tour in Afghanistan, i don't know how he did it. I can't serve in that manner, i don't have the mentality for it. But i can do what i do, so i run out of the firehouse in uniform at the drop of a bell. Not the same but its a tradition of service so again my respect to those who do what i can't

It's still service, and someone's life will be saved and probably already has been because of your actions.

Thank you.

dkozloski
05-12-08, 05:22 PM
At least we now know what we are dealing with and how much credance to give his opinion. There are those who are willing to fight and die for their country and there are those who will stand on the safe sidelines and let others take the risks and do their fighting for them. It's just as well that he stays home hiding under the bedclothes. I wouldn't want to depend on him to guard my back.

I volunteered and served my three years, eleven months, and eighteen days and I'm proud of it. It was a million dollar experience I wouldn't give ten cents to repeat. If I got a notice in the mail today that my country needed me, I go again and give it my best, 68 years old and all.

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-08, 05:28 PM
At least we now know what we are dealing with and how much credance to give his opinion. There are those who are willing to fight and die for their country and there are those who will stand on the safe sidelines and let others take the risks and do their fighting for them. It's just as well that he stays home hiding under the bedclothes. I wouldn't want to depend on him to guard my back.

This is a guy who basically exists to be the troll in any thread. You can use words like "patriotism", "honor", "for country", and "service", and he will act like he uis better than anyone who uses these words simply because his stunted little mind will never understand them.

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-08, 05:31 PM

I volunteered and served my three years, eleven months, and eighteen days and I'm proud of it. It was a million dollar experience I wouldn't give ten cents to repeat. If I got a notice in the mail today that my country needed me, I go again and give it my best, 68 years old and all.

Semper Fi, sir, and thank you.

gary88
05-12-08, 05:51 PM
Just the fact that you are allowed to freely choose whether or not you wish to enlist is enough justification for showing the utmost respect for our troops of past and present. They're protecting the liberties we enjoy every day that we usually take for granted. I know a WWII veteran who survived the 3rd hour of D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge, and he brought me to tears the one time he ever told me and my father about his experiences. Words cannot express my thanks for those fighting for us. If I didn't get accepted to the college I'm at, I know I would be enlisted in the Navy right now.

dkozloski
05-12-08, 06:15 PM
Just the fact that you are allowed to freely choose whether or not you wish to enlist is enough justification for showing the utmost respect for our troops of past and present. They're protecting the liberties we enjoy every day that we usually take for granted. I know a WWII veteran who survived the 3rd hour of D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge, and he brought me to tears the one time he ever told me and my father about his experiences. Words cannot express my thanks for those fighting for us. If I didn't get accepted to the college I'm at, I know I would be enlisted in the Navy right now.
There is nothing to stop you from enlisting as soon as you get your degree. The country needs educated people.

Destroyer
05-12-08, 06:57 PM
This is a guy who basically exists to be the troll in any thread. You can use words like "patriotism", "honor", "for country", and "service", and he will act like he uis better than anyone who uses these words simply because his stunted little mind will never understand them.You are right, I've stated that I hold the military in high regards but it doesn't matter. You dont want to hear the other side, just wanna tear it up. This is the fight you were looking for and you will not get it. I stand down soldier, you the man. I'm unpatriotic, have no honor and offer no service. That is where you were going with this and I fed you. You do it all for me and I hide under the bedsheets and whine like a little girl. You nailed it on the head. Congrats.:thumbsup:

Destroyer
05-12-08, 07:01 PM

I volunteered and served my three years, eleven months, and eighteen days and I'm proud of it. It was a million dollar experience I wouldn't give ten cents to repeat. If I got a notice in the mail today that my country needed me, I go again and give it my best, 68 years old and all.I would fight and defend my country. I am by no means anti-war, I do however want to know that when we do go to war it is in fact to defend the country. Didn't mean to fuel your fire cause you guys just jump at the chance to call someone a coward and unpatriotic.

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-08, 07:17 PM
You are right, I've stated that I hold the military in high regards but it doesn't matter. You dont want to hear the other side, just wanna tear it up. This is the fight you were looking for and you will not get it. I stand down soldier, you the man. I'm unpatriotic, have no honor and offer no service. That is where you were going with this and I fed you. You do it all for me and I hide under the bedsheets and whine like a little girl. You nailed it on the head. Congrats.:thumbsup:

You're the one who wanted the fight, but you did get one part of all that rambling nonsense correct: I did nail you on the head.

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-08, 07:18 PM
I would fight and defend my country. I am by no means anti-war, I do however want to know that when we do go to war it is in fact to defend the country. Didn't mean to fuel your fire cause you guys just jump at the chance to call someone a coward and unpatriotic.

This war that we are in now WAS to defend the country, and still is being fought for that reason.

93DevilleUSMC
05-12-08, 07:28 PM
By the way, Destroyer, what exactly would you do if your son joined the military?

dkozloski
05-12-08, 07:43 PM
This war that we are in now WAS to defend the country, and still is being fought for that reason.

The liberal theory is that the war in Iraq was about oil. That's why we're getting the oil for free from Iraq and the price of gas at the pumps is so low. Sometrhings wrong with this picture. Somebody please explain where that theory goes wrong.

Destroyer
05-12-08, 08:15 PM
By the way, Destroyer, what exactly would you do if your son joined the military?
I'd have to know what the world affairs are at the time. Some time in the military to learn dicipline and responsibility wouldn't hurt. Neither would the future benefits. I'd have to be comfortable with the administration in charge. I would strongly advise him not to do it. I would use Iraq and Vietnam as points for not doing it. On the other hand what could I do if he's defiant and thats what he chooses?.

Destroyer
05-12-08, 08:17 PM
I did nail you on the head.Look up the word sarcasm.

dkozloski
05-12-08, 09:08 PM
I'd have to know what the world affairs are at the time. Some time in the military to learn dicipline and responsibility wouldn't hurt. Neither would the future benefits. I'd have to be comfortable with the administration in charge. I would strongly advise him not to do it. I would use Iraq and Vietnam as points for not doing it. On the other hand what could I do if he's defiant and thats what he chooses?.
It might be that he has a more enlightened view of world affairs and isn't stuck in the 60s and 70s.

Destroyer
05-12-08, 09:22 PM
It might be that he has a more enlightened view of world affairs and isn't stuck in the 60s and 70s.
Ah man, you really believe you have an enlightened view of world affairs?. I want nothing more than our troops to come back safely from a war they need not be in. A war that cant be won cause there is no definition of victory for it. You want them to stay there indefinately and get killed and diabled for nothing. Koz, there were no WMD's, the guy that caused 9/11 was never caught. We are just there brother. The notion of bringing Democracy to that demographic is ludicrous and may I remind you was NOT the reason we went there in the first place.

The video was good and each and every soldier is indeed someones brother/mother/sister/son/uncle/aunt, etc... Why would we want them to stay in that hellhole and die for no reason?. I supported going after Bin Laden, I was all for going into Afghanistan but through lies and deception per our Commander in Chief and his corrupt administration, Afghanistan got shifted to Iraq and here we are funding it all these years later with the blood of our soldiers and money. Call me what you will.

dkozloski
05-12-08, 09:59 PM
The troops that are returning to Fairbanks from Iraq are very encouraged. The surge worked and the Iraqis are becoming very fed-up with the insurgents and are being helpful in turning them in. The Iraqi government is getting a better handle on the running of their country every day. We're winning whether you like it or not. There are far more deaths day to day in Detroit and Washington D.C. than there are in Iraq.

The occupation of Japan lasted seven years after the war ended. Officially the allied occupation of Germany continues to this day because almost 60 years after the end of WWII a peace treaty has never been signed. Americans need to learn some patience. Thank God we have some leaders with vision and who have a firm idea of who the enemy really is that we face in the war on terror. The Muslim extremists have never faltered in their resolve to destroy us for thousands of years and we find it hard to hold out for ten.

Destroyer
05-12-08, 10:19 PM
The troops that are returning to Fairbanks from Iraq are very encouraged. The surge worked and the Iraqis are becoming very fed-up with the insurgents and are being helpful in turning them in. The Iraqi government is getting a better handle on the running of their country every day. We're winning whether you like it or not. There are far more deaths day to day in Detroit and Washington D.C. than there are in Iraq.

The occupation of Japan lasted seven years after the war ended. Officially the allied occupation of Germany continues to this day because almost 60 years after the end of WWII a peace treaty has never been signed. Americans need to learn some patience. Thank God we have some leaders with vision and who have a firm idea of who the enemy really is that we face in the war on terror. The Muslim extremists have never faltered in their resolve to destroy us for thousands of years and we find it hard to hold out for ten.You are joking right?. There is no winning in Iraq. We didn't go there to get a Democracy instilled. Are you forgetting the reasons we were told we were going there?. Are you aware how many times after no WMD's were found the reasoning for being there has changed?. You cant just occupy a country and instill your belief system, it cannot be done. It is and always will be a Muslim nation and there will be a revolution as soon as we leave, whenever we leave. Why wait, lets get the remaining troops home, the result will be the same. Besides man, the mission was declared accomplished in '03 on an air craft carrier. What happened?. Many troops are coming home wounded only to find there homes are gone, their wives bedding with someone else and dead broke. I'm more concerned about them.

lawfive
05-12-08, 11:00 PM
Sigh. Please knock it off, guys. I didn't mean to start a fight but I guess I should have seen it coming.

I served. I support the troops in both senses of the word. I'm a patriot and I believe in a strong national defense. As some here already know, I don't agree with the rationale behind this particular war and I often don't agree with this particular president. But all of that is neither here nor there: this video should stand alone, separate from politics, irrespective of your preference for imperialism or isolationism, militarism or pacifism, liberalism or conservatism. Anybody who isn't moved by this video should have his or her head examined, IMO.

Can't we just leave it at that? There will always be disagreement on this and nobody is going to change anybody else's mind.

Destroyer
05-12-08, 11:19 PM
Can't we just leave it at that? Very well spoken. I'd like to leave it at that as well. :thumbsup:

Rolex
05-12-08, 11:31 PM
I asked nicely to cut the bull 4 pages ago. :banghead: