: Thinking about getting an ext...need opinions..

darien99
05-07-08, 07:25 PM
Trading in my 05 Dakota for something bigger/more powerful, and the ext comes to mind. I love my sts, might as well carry on the tradition, hey? How big are the beds in the back of these? I acutally haul a lot of stuff, so this is kind of important. How's the aftermarket for the 6.2's? What advantages do these have of sierra denalis?

Thanks

airhammer
05-08-08, 08:03 AM
The EXT's bed is smaller than a standard pickup but it might be bigger than the Dakota. You'll have to check the specs for that. If you put a bedslide in the back you will probably find that cargo system is a lot more versatile than your dakota. The comfort, ride quality, styling, power, and utility make the EXT the finest utility truck you can buy, IMO.

Dif
05-08-08, 12:22 PM
Trading in my 05 Dakota for something bigger/more powerful, and the ext comes to mind. I love my sts, might as well carry on the tradition, hey? How big are the beds in the back of these? I acutally haul a lot of stuff, so this is kind of important. How's the aftermarket for the 6.2's? What advantages do these have of sierra denalis?

Thanks
The EXT fits my needs perfectly :cloud9: and you'll love the truck itself.
But, if hauling a lot of stuff is your main concern you'll want to see and inspect the cargo area and fold down midgate setup for yourself.
The bed is 5 feet 3 inches long.
50 inches wide.. flat side walls.. no wheel humps.
With the covers on there's about 21 inches of height.
I have a bed slide and really like it but lose 3-4 inches of height depending on the brand.
With the midgate down you can put 4x8 sheets of plywood in no problem.
But you lose the use of the back seats.
The midgate will fold down with the back window still in and the covers on so you'll have 8 feet of storage all enclosed with 21 inches of height.
Take the covers off for anything tall but with the midgate is down "and" covers off,..the back window has to be out, then everything's open to the outside.
Depends on the weather if that's good or bad. ;)
Hope this helps and as I say, check it out to see if it will fit your hauling needs.
Good Luck.

snomuncher
05-08-08, 11:26 PM
Much depends on your needs in a truck. Having owned many pickups over the years, I found that for my purposes a long bed pickup was unnecessary 95% of the time, so I ruled that out. A standard 6- 1/2 foot short bed pickup was usually too short for the long stuff and too long for most of the stuff I carry, but was a good compromise. I'm now on my second EXT. The bed has the utility of both worlds, especially the capability to carry eight foot long lumber, fluorescent lights, etc. with the midgate down. And with the midgate down and window removed, I've seen snowmobiles and ATVS stuffed in the back.

darien99
05-10-08, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the info guys, looks like you all love this truck. :cool: