: Old owner, new to the forum

Cadence
05-29-04, 09:02 PM
I figure that I might want to introduce myself like the others. I happen to be a proud owner of a '92 Seville (long live the 4.9!), which was at one time one of three sevilles at my home (the others being a '96 STS and a '97 STS). After 6 years with my '92, I'm ready to move up to the '97 STS. It's actually my moms car, but she no longer drives around as much as she used to. We figured, "Why let somebody else buy it? Keep it in the family!" So here it stays.

While I'm here, I figured I'd asked you posters here if any of you heard anything else about the rumored supercharger that was being developed awhile back? I figured that they would have it all sorted out by now. Judging from what Cadillac did with the STSi by raising the compression and such, the only real concern they should have is replacing the OBD-II with an aftermarket programable OBD. Tim Allen's DTS is a sweet ride, but it shouldn't have anything on an STS done in a similar manner.

elwesso
05-29-04, 10:55 PM
The supercharger deal has been pretty much a flop... :( Its been developed but not really on the market....... Not to mention IMO its not a good idea to do forced induction on the northstar unless you beef it up a little. We all know about the lovely headgasket issues.

Actually OBDII adapts to stuff like forced induction. its much smarter than OBDI so if you were to use moderate boost (say below 10psi) the computer should be able ot make up for it.....

Welcome aboard, thanks for signing up :wave: 3 caddys thats golden!! Id like to see all those 3 lined up, we'd all like to see some pictures!

Cadence
05-30-04, 02:42 AM
I wish I had those pictures of the '96 STS :rolleyes2 . I had a nice shot of all three on my hard drive at one time, but a virus wiped them out three months after I took them. The '96 was soon gone afterwards. It was my dad's ride. He traded it in for a Dodge Dakota. He needed a truck to haul some stuff around, but I wished he would have traded in my car instead, and gave me the keys to the '96 :annoyed: . The '92 is currently a work in progress as some kid decided to play with his brakes in the flow of traffic. I know I got to have the pictures of it somewhere near by in much better condition. And the '97 is just about the most pampered ride on the block. Those pictures shouldn't be hard at all to come by. As soon as I get my hands on them, I'll definately post them.

I find that most interesting about the OBD-II. It would seem that nobody would have a major issue with coming up with some sort of way to increase the performance of the Northstar. If it's just the heads and pistons or what not, that seems to be a easy enough mod to have done. My plans are to slowly restore the '92 and turn the '97 into the highway "ICBM" that it truly is. I can't help but to think that the Northstar has so much untapped potential, that it's current state couldn't be the limit of it's capabilities.

elwesso
05-30-04, 10:59 AM
If I were to do ANYTHING of serious modifications to the norhtstar, i would get CHRFAB heads and different head gaskets first......

However, i think your biggest hurdle is NOT going to be getting it working, but its FWD. You will never have enough traction to make it worthwhile......

CADDYBLACK99
05-31-04, 06:33 PM
Welcone Cadence!
Thanks for joining the forum!
:welcome:
Paul

Cadence
06-04-04, 06:00 PM
Thanks CaddyBlack.

Elwesso, from the sounds of things, since I been reading the board and a few others as well, the Northstar is better off as a natural aspirated engine. If so, this is definately the way I want to go with this project. I'm thinking along the lines of 100-150 hp increase right now.

Wouldn't a custom limited slip help matters with the traction issue? I saw something from Domestic Performance that led me to believe that traction could be improved with a better limited slip. Am I mistaken here?

majax
06-19-04, 04:23 AM
Ill keep it simple :welcome: hehe hope to see you around, i usually talk more.

elwesso
06-19-04, 11:56 AM
Thanks CaddyBlack.

Elwesso, from the sounds of things, since I been reading the board and a few others as well, the Northstar is better off as a natural aspirated engine. If so, this is definately the way I want to go with this project. I'm thinking along the lines of 100-150 hp increase right now.

Wouldn't a custom limited slip help matters with the traction issue? I saw something from Domestic Performance that led me to believe that traction could be improved with a better limited slip. Am I mistaken here?
Right on, I wouldnt do FA on a norhtstar without some serious beefing.. Plus, youll have to get some HUGE sticky tires to be able to put the poewr to the ground......