: Richard Hammond

70eldo
05-07-08, 08:47 AM
dang, he's been doing this forever! Just dug up this old footage of the NSX
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1569290ZrYbByGX&source=fl-mll

AMGoff
05-07-08, 03:55 PM
Ummm... Richard Hammond was no where in that video. The first gentleman was Clarkson of course... the guy driving the NSX was Tiff Needle.

This was from the original Top Gear, which actually started in 1977 as your standard "magazine" style car program and it ran until 2001. Clarkson had left the original TG a couple of years before that... after it ended, he came back to start the new Top Gear, that we all know in its current format with Richard Hammond and Jason Dawe... Dawe only made it through the first series and he was replaced with the "insufferable" (actually my personal favorite) James May... who has been a co-presenter for the last 9 series. The new format of Top Gear is nothing like the original TG... which is why it's drawn the audience it has - it may be centered around cars, but it's much more of an entertainment/variety show than it is your standard "car mag" show.

What was left of the cast and crew of the original TG (Tiff Needle included) went on to start "Fifth Gear," and continues with the more factual, albeit more boring car magazine style of the original TG.

MauiV
05-07-08, 04:52 PM
My wife isnt into cars and she suffers through my love affair with The V but she LOVES Top Gear.

BTW, she still wants the name of the designer at GM who failed to put an "O-Shit" handle in the V.

Her recent decission to go to med school has put the brakes on my "to-do" mod wish list but now someday she can buy me that Ferrari I have always wanted!!!

gary88
05-07-08, 05:00 PM
Top Gear has the format they have now because the BBC complained that the viewers were getting bored of strictly watching review after review of cars (like the first season). They had to add more of the challenges to keep most people interested.

New season in the summer though!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-07-08, 06:12 PM
I <3 TG. Did anyone catch the new episode on Monday? I was planning on watching it, but my overly dependent friend called me up instead.

nikon
05-07-08, 06:23 PM
I <3 TG. Did anyone catch the new episode on Monday? I was planning on watching it, but my overly dependent friend called me up instead.

what new episode....link? torrent preferably.... can't seem to find it...your not talking about the sports relief episode are you??

AMGoff
05-07-08, 06:31 PM
Methinks Chad was referring to a "new-to-us" episode on BBC America...

Last week's episode with the Top Gear "Awards" was the last episode of the 10th series... which actually aired/ended sometime back in December or so. The only new episode since has been the Sport Relief special... and they haven't aired that on BBCA and I actually doubt they will. Now they're just recycling series 10... they showed episode one this past Monday with Helen Mirren.

Series 11 isn't slated to start until sometime this summer.... who knows when we'll get it here. I'd just be happy if BBCA started airing full episodes prior to series 8!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-07-08, 06:35 PM
Yeah, the BBC America channel, #114 on Comcast in the Twin Cities.

MauiV
05-07-08, 06:36 PM
Monday was not a "new" episode. It was a rerun of the quest for the ultimate driving road in the Superleggera, the GT-3 and James May sweating his balls off in the Aston.

gary88
05-07-08, 07:26 PM
http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Haoleb
05-07-08, 08:04 PM
You really need to download the torrents to get the full experience. The one they show on BBC america is a watered down version thats been cut by like 15 minutes to add in commercials. Not to mention they show them 6 months or something behind them being broadcast in the UK.

When they are showing it in the UK I make sure to get it downloaded every sunday night as soon as its available. Its by far my favorite show of all time. The Top gear garden sports relief show is pretty funny too. Pay special attention to hampster when jeremy is talking about his fountain pump. :)

gary88
05-07-08, 08:14 PM
The destruction of James May's shed was priceless.

I really need to go to a taping of that show someday. Maybe Clarkson will point me out and make fun of me for something.

MauiV
05-07-08, 10:13 PM
The DVR is the greatest invention since Al Gore invented global warming (warm weather = hot chicks in less clothes).

70eldo
05-08-08, 04:38 AM
I meant Clarkson, sorry... :hide:

but hey, great show!