: Help with purchasing heads and cam

smoothq
05-06-08, 05:49 PM
I'm in the proccess of buying heads and cam headers and a chip. I was wondering what brand I should go with I already have a LPE CAI, and Corsa exhaust. I want to get headers also what do you guys suggest....? Lingenfelter or Patriot or what? I'd appreciate. Looking for bout 440 at the wheels.

Kaane
05-06-08, 05:59 PM
AFR Heads or Trickflow Heads or ETP heads for largest gains, Since they use their own castings. Ported 243 factory heads will never match up down low.

AlmostAV
05-06-08, 06:24 PM
Kaane hit it on the nail. As for a cam, I would get one specd to your mods....by Patrick G. if possible.

heavymetals
05-06-08, 06:45 PM
Maggie it.

You will need 100+ hp to get where you want to be.

smoothq
05-06-08, 08:30 PM
excellent thank you, is there anyway to get ahold of Patrick G.

silverAg
05-06-08, 08:36 PM
this is very good info

trukk
05-06-08, 10:03 PM
Smooth,

What are you goals for the car? Daily driver, street - strip, stiop only, street road course, dedicated road course car?

What's your budget? That's a pretty big factor as well.

PatrickG's screen name at LS1TECH is "Patrick G". His cam spec website is: http://www.guerragroup.com/camshaft_help.htm

To get to the point where I'm at engine-wise, I've spent about 9k. That is with no heads (full bolt-on cam only). To do the heads the way I want it will be about 4k more.

You will save a bunch of cash doing it all at once, as the install price will be cheaper (assuming you have someone do it for you), and you'll only have to pay for tuning once.

What part of the country are you in? We could recommend some speed shops for you.

Finally, depending on your goals, the magnacharger may be good bacng for you buck. Personally I wanted to stay N/A, but it depends on your goals.

-Chris

jbss71
05-06-08, 10:15 PM
Ed Curtis at Flowtech
Richard at proheads.com

smoothq
05-07-08, 11:29 AM
Well, my goal was to stay N/a becuz I want the noise that it gives and longevity of an N/A motor I have about 6k that i wanna spend now, more if it came to it. I wanna do it all at once heads, headers, cam, tune. I live in Issaquah, Washington. Is this even possible? I tought it was, but from the sounds of it im not sure anymore.

Kaane
05-07-08, 12:48 PM
6K won't get you heads. You could probably get exhaust, headers, cam, ported TB, intake, tune. If you are on a budget you could get stage 1 PRC ls6 or 5.3 heads or maybe Stage 2.5 those are still nice heads, but are almost $1000 cheaper then AFR or TF.

trukk
05-07-08, 01:11 PM
Well, my goal was to stay N/a becuz I want the noise that it gives and longevity of an N/A motor I have about 6k that i wanna spend now, more if it came to it. I wanna do it all at once heads, headers, cam, tune. I live in Issaquah, Washington. Is this even possible? I tought it was, but from the sounds of it im not sure anymore.

Do you want to retain your cats? What's your emissions situation up there?

How many miles on the car?

Do you car if the idle is fairly choppy, or do you want something a bit more mild mannered?

How many miles per year do you plan on putting on the car?

Is it a daily driver?

-Chris

heavymetals
05-07-08, 03:08 PM
A blower is just a variation of N/A.

Think of it as driving your car about 10,000 feet below sea level. :histeric:

trukk
05-07-08, 03:20 PM
A blower is just a variation of N/A.

Think of it as driving your car about 10,000 feet below sea level. :histeric:

Heh, kinda like driving in Holland.

-Chris

heavymetals
05-07-08, 04:42 PM
New Orleans could learn a lot from the Dutch on dealing with water.

Our problem is that our society accepts "band aid" fixes.

Off the soap box.......

SS from the "Wood"
05-07-08, 04:50 PM
I'm in a similar pickle, though I'm several mos - 1 yr. away from spending... I like the research and info I found on AFR's 205cc Monsoon heads, coupled w/ a Vengeance racing VRX2 camshaft. The cam's supposed to mate well w/ a S/C which I also have in store for my car.

Shannon (my patience is wearing thin)

smoothq
05-07-08, 05:04 PM
I have Corsa cat back and cai. Does that help..?

SS from the "Wood"
05-07-08, 05:09 PM
definitely a start

smoothq
05-07-08, 06:20 PM
Do you want to retain your cats? What's your emissions situation up there?

How many miles on the car?

Do you car if the idle is fairly choppy, or do you want something a bit more mild mannered?

How many miles per year do you plan on putting on the car?

Is it a daily driver?

-Chris

My car has 17,500miles on it.
I want it as choppy as i can go without losing the low in torque and i wanna be able to idle without it dying on me. I wanna put highflow cats on it.
Its not really a daily driver I have two other cars to drive but I tend to drive this one more.
I put about 6-8k miles a year on it.
I have the abillity to not have to pass the emmisions but if i can then il keep it registered here. lol I got connections

trukk
05-07-08, 10:29 PM
Based on what you said, and keeping a low to medium budget in mind, I reccomend something along these lines:

Full Exhaust: $2000 ish
1) Magnaflow Catback ($600) [option: for about $300 ish you could weld in an X pipe, and get some magnaflow rear mufflers on, using the stock V exhaust, which is actually a pretty nice 2.5" system]
2) TPIS Coated headers w/ cats ($750 + $375)
3) Weld that puppy up ($150)
4) Install $400 (???)
5) Options, new plugs $20 - $80, Koolsox (I'd recomend these), new wires.

Heads/cam: (Approx $4000-$5000)
1) Precison Race Components Stg 1.5 5.3L Heads & Cam
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=204&catid=47
Sounds like you want a fairly agressive cam, without sacrificing TQ, in a car that you drive some but not a lot. Consider the Torquer V3 on a 111 (this will be nice and choppy). While the lift is fairly high (necessitating better valve springs), it meets your goals, and will be a good performer. You will have to check with Texas Speed about the pushrod length (probabaly need 7.425). Get the gasket kit and pushrods as well. Skip the oil pump and timing chain. Cost: $1689.99
2) LS7 lifters: http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=690&catid=50 COST: $129.99
3) PRC Spring Kit: http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=173&catid=48 COST: $289.99

NOTE: You may be able to get some kind of package deal on all this stuff from Texas Speed. Best thing is to give them a call.
4) Katech timing chain: http://www.katechengines.com/street_performance/engine_parts_detail.php?id=24 (cost unsurem hafta call. Another option would be an LS2 timing chain, but I'd go Katech if you can, just to be safe, or with Cloyes) Approx $150.
5) As long as your oil pump is making good pressure, I'd keep it, and not get a new ported one.
6) Install: $1500ish (???)
7) Misc crap: Head bolts, etc. $250
8) Optional: Under drive pulley: $350 ish , including belts
9) Optional: New injectors $250 ish.

Dyno Tune: $500

There is a very rough ballpark for an economical heads and cam setup. This is very close in the ballpark to what a magnacharger costs, and your gains will be fairly close to it as well. You would probabaly get lowish 400's rwhp (410 -440 depending on dyno), and high 300's rwtq with this setup. There are a million and a half F body guys running something like this, without major issues. You might start pushing the uper limits of your fuel system with this.

Something to get you thinking.

If anyone sees any glaring holes in this, speak up.

-Chris

DownSouthV
05-08-08, 02:38 AM
I personally am about to run a vengeance vrx6 cam shaft with pushrods and comp springs+kooks headers and a CAI...install headers, intake(already have cat back)rods and springs myself...then have it tuned by vengeance racing. That type of build should put you around 420rwhp and if you can do the labor yourself it will save you a buncha money.:highfive:

Naf
05-08-08, 03:38 AM
6Gs, is a lot of cash, if i were you start simple them go up from there...The Cadi has plenty of grunt.

If you feel up to it go with the LPE package. Get a nice smooth cam i think you can still get a GT2-2, this is the best for NA setups.

Then get the LS6 stock manifold with 90mm mouth. Great for opennin up the power without spendin the bucks...

Change out the timin chain as mentioned before, to a Katech, i did...

Score a 90mm tb on ebay for a 100$ and you will have a near free flow intake setup...

Headers and a nice pair of cats will really open her up.

Dont forget a LS7 clutch setup, to keep everything goin to the rear rather then slippage...

That will be a nice 2-3Gs right now...Save up a little for later and if you still feel the need for more power score some nice heads GMPP lifters yella terra rocker arms injectors and dial her in.

This way you will get use to power without fishtailin all over the place...

I left my cam stock for two reasons i went with high compression and high flow heads. The stock lift @ 0.550" is plenty when you run this combo... I dont want the valves to be smackin my pistons if they float

smoothq
05-08-08, 11:40 AM
Thanks Trukk
I'l take everything in consideration. You guys really know your stuff about these cars. It doesnt seem like im outta my budget with what im plannin on doing.

smoothq
05-08-08, 11:43 AM
6Gs, is a lot of cash, if i were you start simple them go up from there...The Cadi has plenty of grunt.

If you feel up to it go with the LPE package. Get a nice smooth cam i think you can still get a GT2-2, this is the best for NA setups.

Then get the LS6 stock manifold with 90mm mouth. Great for opennin up the power without spendin the bucks...

Change out the timin chain as mentioned before, to a Katech, i did...

Score a 90mm tb on ebay for a 100$ and you will have a near free flow intake setup...

Headers and a nice pair of cats will really open her up.

Dont forget a LS7 clutch setup, to keep everything goin to the rear rather then slippage...

That will be a nice 2-3Gs right now...Save up a little for later and if you still feel the need for more power score some nice heads GMPP lifters yella terra rocker arms injectors and dial her in.

This way you will get use to power without fishtailin all over the place...

I left my cam stock for two reasons i went with high compression and high flow heads. The stock lift @ 0.550" is plenty when you run this combo... I dont want the valves to be smackin my pistons if they float

Hey what heads are you runnung and about how much money are in into your car also how much rwhp you running any ideas?
Id appreciate it

smoothq
05-08-08, 11:48 AM
I personally am about to run a vengeance vrx6 cam shaft with pushrods and comp springs+kooks headers and a CAI...install headers, intake(already have cat back)rods and springs myself...then have it tuned by vengeance racing. That type of build should put you around 420rwhp and if you can do the labor yourself it will save you a buncha money.:highfive:

How much money do you have into your car performance wise?'
About how much hp do you think your pushing?
And can you link me to where you went for the stuff you went with?
Id appreciate it

smoothq
05-08-08, 04:22 PM
Hey has anybody gone with patriot heads and cam, or LPE heads and cams. Just a thought how much HP they would give me...