: Are A & B Crankshaft Position Sensors the same sensor??

1998STS
05-06-08, 09:28 AM
I have a 1998 STS and I am having a problem with my car randomly stalling at red lights. I want to change both Crankshaft Position Sensors,but just want to make sure that the A & B sensors are different sensors. I went on Rockauto.com and it looks like they are the same sensor. Can someone please confirm if they are the same sensor or are two different sensors. Also where is the best place to buy these sensors from. Thanks in advance.........

Ted

Ranger
05-06-08, 10:00 AM
They are two different sensors.

tateos
05-06-08, 12:26 PM
I thought they were the same part#, just in two different positions, but I think maybe Ranger knows more than I do.

I would buy everything I could from Rock Auto, the rest from gmpartsdirect.com

AJxtcman
05-06-08, 01:33 PM
I have a 1998 STS and I am having a problem with my car randomly stalling at red lights. I want to change both Crankshaft Position Sensors,but just want to make sure that the A & B sensors are different sensors. I went on Rockauto.com and it looks like they are the same sensor. Can someone please confirm if they are the same sensor or are two different sensors. Also where is the best place to buy these sensors from. Thanks in advance.........

Ted

They are the same sensors.

In 2000 with the complete redesign of the Northstar they changed to two different sensors.

Submariner409
05-06-08, 02:42 PM
I wasn't quick enough on the draw for this one.....pre 2000 are the same unit, same p/n.

2000+ are different: two part numbers, different connectors, B is top, A is bottom. Here's a pair for my 2002. Click and scroll in. You can see the difference if you mentally rotate the gray one CW 90 degrees.

Ranger
05-06-08, 04:28 PM
Learn something new every day. Thanks for the correction guys.

1998STS
05-06-08, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the quick response everyone!!!! Would everyone agree that random stalling and a 1599 code on the OBDII ,would be a Crankshaft Position Sensor problem. Can a bad Crankshaft Sensor also cause a rough idle. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Ranger
05-07-08, 10:33 AM
A CKP sensor is the most likely cause for a random stall, but not a rough idle, I don't believe.