: Sick Baby

Cadillacstud
05-05-08, 09:03 PM
Hello everyone I am new to this site I find it as I was looking for parts for my caddie. I bought a 1997 Cadillac deville from a dealership with 74k miles and a blown gasket. I have never rebuilded and engine before this would be my first time and I am looking for some advise on how to remove the engine. I am going to buy a book thats going to run me around $125 brand new but I want to pull the engine first. To to my fellow caddie owners is an engine with 74k miles worth saving or should I invest in another one?:confused:

chubbyranger
05-05-08, 10:29 PM
You are as well off rebuilding the engine that you have as putting another in. You are in the 'zone' of 97-99 engine problems so another engine is just as likely to have the same issues. That said, a Northstar as your first engine rebuild is somewhat similar to deciding to climb Mount Everest for your first hike. Not that it can't be done, but be prepared for a few detours along the way. The complexity of this engine will take time and $.

Ranger
05-06-08, 10:29 AM
I hope the book you are buying is a FSM (Factory Service Manual) by Helm Inc.

Check the Tech Tips section for advice on dropping the engine and doing the head gasket job.

Also be aware that you should Timesert all 20 bolt holes to prevent it from happening again.

Cadillacstud
05-07-08, 09:31 PM
I hope the book you are buying is a FSM (Factory Service Manual) by Helm Inc.

Check the Tech Tips section for advice on dropping the engine and doing the head gasket job.

Also be aware that you should Timesert all 20 bolt holes to prevent it from happening again.

please explaine timesert so i do not f@# up anything PLEASE ..... I didn't Join this site for nothing I love them (caddies)

Cadillacstud
05-07-08, 09:42 PM
You are as well off rebuilding the engine that you have as putting another in. You are in the 'zone' of 97-99 engine problems so another engine is just as likely to have the same issues. That said, a Northstar as your first engine rebuild is somewhat similar to deciding to climb Mount Everest for your first hike. Not that it can't be done, but be prepared for a few detours along the way. The complexity of this engine will take time and $.

I know one thing. this is not going to be and over night thing I have long nights in front of me but i like caddies this is my second one payed for so I don't want to mess it up. I think I can climb mount everest with help.

thank you for ur advise.

chubbyranger
05-08-08, 01:11 AM
I know one thing. this is not going to be and over night thing I have long nights in front of me but i like caddies this is my second one payed for so I don't want to mess it up. I think I can climb mount everest with help.

Then the first step of your journey should begin with enlightenment - search these forums and read:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/126253-97-etc-n-head-gasket-project.html
http://www.midwestscc.com/viewtopic.php?t=205&page=1
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/136332-replacing-cylinder-heads-project.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/122667-dropped-filthy-n-out-sls-today.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/5052-n-head-gasket-repair-part-i.html

Ranger
05-08-08, 11:19 AM
The Timesert is a thread repair. DO NOT use a helicoil. It will fail.
http://www.timesert.com

tateos
05-08-08, 05:05 PM
Then the first step of your journey should begin with enlightenment - search these forums and read:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/126253-97-etc-n-head-gasket-project.html
http://www.midwestscc.com/viewtopic.php?t=205&page=1
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/136332-replacing-cylinder-heads-project.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/122667-dropped-filthy-n-out-sls-today.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/5052-n-head-gasket-repair-part-i.html

Chubby - thanks for including my post ('97 ETC...) in your list of recommended threads. I have noticed that some others have done the same, and I guess I must confess it always gives me somewhat of an ego boost; more important, though, is that I am happy when I see that the effort I made to document the project is helping others, just as I benefited from the threads before mine - Zonie's threads come to mind.

Cadillacstud - listen to what chubby says about replacing the engine. I replaced the first engine that blew the HG in my '97 ETC, and the replacement engine blew a HG 2 years later. If I had known when the first engine blew what I know now, I would have repaired it like I did the 2nd engine. That said, I did get 2 years and 21,000 miles out of the 2nd engine, so it wasn't a TOTAL disaster

I am still in awe over the power of this forum and the internet to share knowledge and help all involved. Think, for a minute, about attempting something like this before the internet. Unless you knew a Cadillac mechanic, your only source if info would be the FSM. That's it!

chubbyranger
05-08-08, 08:30 PM
I am still in awe over the power of this forum and the internet to share knowledge and help all involved. Think, for a minute, about attempting something like this before the internet. Unless you knew a Cadillac mechanic, your only source if info would be the FSM. That's it!

It works the other way too. After reading your thread and others I decided it was going to be a major F'show for me to try and do it myself. Months of weekends, the eternal quest for parts and endless posts to this forum. Of course, the guy I found to fix it has had it for a month already so that plan may not have worked out so well either. But without the effort you and others went through to document your experience I would never have figured out the extent of the work involved from the FSM.

Cadillacstud
05-08-08, 08:34 PM
I agree about this site and I will check out ur post

Destroyer
05-09-08, 07:37 PM
please explaine timesert so i do not f@# up anything PLEASE ..... I didn't Join this site for nothing I love them (caddies)
Seriously man, dont even try it. I've done many engine swaps/head changeouts, etc in the past and I would NOT attempt to fix the H/G's on a N* myself.

jeffrsmith
05-09-08, 08:30 PM
Seriously man, dont even try it. I've done many engine swaps/head changeouts, etc in the past and I would NOT attempt to fix the H/G's on a N* myself.

Nice! I am glad that someone out there provides the appropriate down check for someone wanting to try to fix their car.

Why do you make such a strong statement? What is so different about the N* over any other engine (obviously the DOHC setup) but why be scare dof this? Dropping the complete power train? With time and patience and the appropriate resources there is absolutely no reason why someone could not complete this job.

I am sure that there are many out there that fixing their N* HG problems was their first major mechanical undertaking. I appreciate that you may not want to undertake a job like this but please try not to scare everyone away. With the wealth of knowledge that exists in communities/message boards like this one, I think that even a moderately skilled individual stands a better than average chance of completing a major repair successfully if they take their time and patience.

Destroyer
05-09-08, 10:04 PM
Nice! I am glad that someone out there provides the appropriate down check for someone wanting to try to fix their car.

Why do you make such a strong statement? What is so different about the N* over any other engine (obviously the DOHC setup) but why be scare dof this? Dropping the complete power train? With time and patience and the appropriate resources there is absolutely no reason why someone could not complete this job.

I am sure that there are many out there that fixing their N* HG problems was their first major mechanical undertaking. I appreciate that you may not want to undertake a job like this but please try not to scare everyone away. With the wealth of knowledge that exists in communities/message boards like this one, I think that even a moderately skilled individual stands a better than average chance of completing a major repair successfully if they take their time and patience.He would be baptized by fire, thats for sure. Not trying to scare him away but if he thinks its gonna be like changing a H/G on a small block Chevy, that aint the case.

zonie77
05-10-08, 12:15 AM
He would be baptized by fire, thats for sure. Not trying to scare him away but if he thinks its gonna be like changing a H/G on a small block Chevy, that aint the case.

From Caddystud's posts he's trying to do it right and knows it's not a SBC. He definitely seems to have the right attitude and wants to do the job right.

Caddystud, it's a long tedious job, but if you do it right, the rewards are great.

If the original engine runs well, except for the overheating, you should just do the HG repair. A N* will go over 200K without a rebuild.

Look for a factory service manual on ebay or craigslist before you drop the engine. You'll be glad you got it!

jeffrsmith
05-10-08, 12:31 PM
:yeah: what he said

Cadillacstud
05-10-08, 06:01 PM
I just wanted to thank my fellow caddie drivers I want to hear both sides and this I have dicided to fix it myself and I will place some before and after pix when I get started I have learn alot from this site so keep them comming.

RickyHenry
05-12-08, 02:36 PM
I just wanted to thank my fellow caddie drivers I want to hear both sides and this I have dicided to fix it myself and I will place some before and after pix when I get started I have learn alot from this site so keep them comming.

looking forward to seeing the project progress. I'll keep monitoring it to see if i can add any of my two cents. Good luck and yes, what the other guys said, since I changed my HG and added the inserts.... Car runs GREAT!!!

tateos
05-17-08, 12:05 AM
Chubb - I am not saying you are wrong - for you I'm sure you made the right decision. You avoided a lot of agony, BUT:

You also missed out on the exhilaration when you start the car the first time and it fires right up. I did not do the repair because I needed the car or to save money - I did because I did not trust someone else to do a good job. Also, I have owned the car since new and thought of it as helping an old friend, and I have to say that I am pretty proud of myself - the feeling I get now every time I drive my car is almost priceless.

It works the other way too. After reading your thread and others I decided it was going to be a major F'show for me to try and do it myself. Months of weekends, the eternal quest for parts and endless posts to this forum. Of course, the guy I found to fix it has had it for a month already so that plan may not have worked out so well either. But without the effort you and others went through to document your experience I would never have figured out the extent of the work involved from the FSM.

chubbyranger
05-17-08, 06:48 AM
Chubb - I am not saying you are wrong - for you I'm sure you made the right decision. You avoided a lot of agony, BUT:

You also missed out on the exhilaration when you start the car the first time and it fires right up. I did not do the repair because I needed the car or to save money - I did because I did not trust someone else to do a good job. Also, I have owned the car since new and thought of it as helping an old friend, and I have to say that I am pretty proud of myself - the feeling I get now every time I drive my car is almost priceless.

You are right about the feeling of accomplishment that I missed and I spent a month and a half trying to find somebody I trusted so I know where you're coming from there. It was a tough choice for me. I have the space, tools and another vehicle to drive so it wasn't like I would have had to try doing HGs in the street. In the end it came down to time and to some extent NE weather. Insert a bunch more :blah: excuses and it boiled down to choosing to pay a mechanic for my car or a carpenter for my house, and they all charge about the same. Doing a N* head job is still on my list of things I want to attempt, but not right now.

jeffrsmith
05-17-08, 08:36 AM
Chubby,

I am a stones throw away and am going to start the process tomorrow. I need to get out today and round up a few more items - then its show time. If your interested in stopping by let me know - I will be working on it evenings and weekends. Hopefully it will only take a couple of weeks.

Jeff

tateos
05-21-08, 09:00 PM
I know about that New England weather - moved to Phoenix from the Boston area 6 1/2 years ago to get away from that nonsense!

You are right about the feeling of accomplishment that I missed and I spent a month and a half trying to find somebody I trusted so I know where you're coming from there. It was a tough choice for me. I have the space, tools and another vehicle to drive so it wasn't like I would have had to try doing HGs in the street. In the end it came down to time and to some extent NE weather. Insert a bunch more :blah: excuses and it boiled down to choosing to pay a mechanic for my car or a carpenter for my house, and they all charge about the same. Doing a N* head job is still on my list of things I want to attempt, but not right now.

chubbyranger
05-22-08, 10:12 PM
I know about that New England weather - moved to Phoenix from the Boston area 6 1/2 years ago to get away from that nonsense!

Yeah, and I actually moved to soutthern New England to get away from the cold azz weather in northern NE where I grw up. Still to friggen cold here sometimes. Middle of May and my heat is still coming on in my house. But the STS runs like a new car so for today all is well.