: Kind of an extreme reason to put down a horse !

dwight.j.carter
05-05-08, 02:26 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24458076/

So why can't a horse be nursed back to health after breaking it's legs ?
I am confused by this and am by no means an animal rights activist.

So why aren't we putting down the people that break there legs lol ?

CIWS
05-05-08, 03:44 PM
http://www.slate.com/id/2142159/

dwight.j.carter
05-05-08, 03:59 PM
Ok well that explains it better for me thanks man.

urbanski
05-05-08, 04:06 PM
look at the hell Barbaro went through due to selfish owners trying to "nurse" him back. dont work.

CadillacGurl
05-05-08, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I was watching the Derby with Jason's dad. So sad to see Eight Bells end her career that way. I would have love to see her beat Big Brown at the Preakness Stakes. Just damn she was fast for a filly...

dkozloski
05-05-08, 05:51 PM
They shoot horses don't they? Every old time Vet had a revolver in his little bag.

caddycruiser
05-05-08, 06:14 PM
They shoot horses don't they? Every old time Vet had a revolver in his little bag.

No, that's one way, but not overly common, if it can be avoided. Putting to sleep, as dogs and cats are, with an injection, is the typical.

In this case, it was a HORRIFIC thing that happened, especially being that the race just ended, the horse fell, and within a couple of minutes--while some didn't know and others were celebrating--the vets came and put it to sleep immediately.

It seems extreme, and I'm always disturbed by it, but that's an innate problem with horses. They weight so much and stand almost ALL the time, that if there's any kind of leg injury, it's next to impossible to ever nurse it back to health. There's no way to keep them from putting weight on it, and even if they could avoid it, then they run into issues of not being active and not getting exercise.

This case was particularly bizarre, as both front ankles literally snapped--out of the blue. The bigger problem is, of course, how much they're stressed to the max in these races (which I'm not a fan of...), however uncommon something like this is.

urbanski
05-05-08, 06:26 PM
yeah she was beautiful and fast as hell, for sure. RIP.

urbanski
05-05-08, 06:27 PM
thats why its called a coffin bone

caddycruiser
05-05-08, 08:32 PM
thats why its called a coffin bone

I had never heard that, but after a Google, SO true.

Watching the news tonight, one of their points was about certain problems that carry on through breeding, notable in this case being leg problems that the father and grandfather of this horse apparently had. Sad, just really sad. That's racing for you, which is debatable, for sure.

Submariner409
05-05-08, 09:05 PM
You breed horses to race, and you breed cars to race. Unfortunately torque wrenches can't fix a horses' legs or heart but will fix a broken mechanical widget in a car.

A living, breathing horse races its guts out through love, training and care. An iron horse races because you force it to.........

dkozloski
05-05-08, 10:18 PM
They juice up the horses with steroids just like pro athletes until their muscles overpower their skeletal structure; think Brian Bosworth. They literally break their own bones to please their owners, trainers, and riders.
It's a nasty business similar to fighting dogs and in my opinion about as ethical. The big problem with the whole operation is that the horse doesn't get a vote in the matter.

CadillacSTS42005
05-05-08, 11:58 PM
it all depends on the owner
my dad has owned hundreds of through bread horses in his lifetime
he even did have one run at the Kentucky Derby
when it comes to the horses treatment or ill treatment of that matter it all comes down to the scruples of the owners and training staff

70eldo
05-06-08, 04:14 AM
Horse meat makes very good smoked sausage. My favourite!

Jesda
05-06-08, 04:21 AM
MOAR GLUE!

dkozloski
05-06-08, 09:54 AM
Horsemeat is very popular in Europe. More than one seller of a thoroughbread horse has found out that the horse he just sold to an old world nobleman was destined for the stewpot.

CadillacGurl
05-06-08, 10:10 AM
it all depends on the owner
my dad has owned hundreds of through bread horses in his lifetime
he even did have one run at the Kentucky Derby
when it comes to the horses treatment or ill treatment of that matter it all comes down to the scruples of the owners and training staff

True. I've had my fair share of riding horses and going to different ranches to ride/help. You can tell whether some of those horses were either well kept or not by the owners + trainers. I was at a ranch in Michigan for one summer and the horse I was assigned to I swear was going to fall over, you could see his ribs. He had white foam around his mouth. Such a beautiful horse, black with white markings on his face... his name was Cody. I pretty much had to force feed him so he would eat.

Also the horse farm behind Jason's house, all/well most of those horses are malnourished. In the winter time when they escaped into Jason's backyard you could see their ribs too. Just makes you sick. The owner is really old, limps around alot. I would definitely love to help the guy out, I'll have to talk to the neighbors down the street since their daughter goes over to groom them.

I know a lot of people who think horse racing is abuse (since they use a crop to whip them)... I'm on the fence on that issue. I love seeing horses race, it shows their ability. But meh...

MauiV
05-06-08, 05:48 PM
I play the ponies a bit and follow thoroughbred news some. Most elite horses today are lucky to see a dozen starts. Trainers are forced to use steroids to keep up with the other trainers that use them. Until states like Ky, NY and Cali ban steroids it will continue to run rampant in the industry.

Another contributing factor is the inbreeding which occurs in this breed. All thoroughbreds can trace their lineage to one of 3 horses and with studs like Storm Cat continuing to pump out ($500,000 a pump) Graded Stakes winners and proven studs the gene pool overlaps at numerous levels.

Poly track seems to help on the injuries and Keeneland has seen its injury rate drop significantly after developing and installing the surface. The Cali Racing Commission has mandated ALL tracks in the state go to poly. Big problem is Churchill Downs and Keeneland are VERY big competitors and Churchill will resist adding the poly to the bitter end because Keeneland will gain from it.

CadillacGurl
05-17-08, 05:48 PM
10 minutes until Preakness Stakes race!!!

CIWS
05-18-08, 08:57 AM
..and Big Brown takes that crown as well :D

MauiV
05-18-08, 01:02 PM
I f'in hate UPS.

TexasCadillac
05-19-08, 06:06 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24458076/

So why can't a horse be nursed back to health after breaking it's legs ?
I am confused by this and am by no means an animal rights activist.

So why aren't we putting down the people that break there legs lol ?

The greyhound racing dogs are put to sleep when they get to old to race. They adopt the greyhounds out when they can but are not the best pets. A friend has one and the dog has to wear a muzzle because it bites.