: To buy or not to buy

Sandy
05-04-08, 10:18 PM
My 2003 Town Car, Spring Feature Car "THE LIMITED" has every known option to mankind, and is flawless in condition, and very rare among Towniees, with just 1,131 made. Mileage is just 11,700 miles in 5 years, and I am the only driver. She is in mint show condition. I have no problems with her, and she has a smooth quiet ride and no squueks, creeks or rattles. I really enjoy the car.
So...............................what's the problem?

I've got a burning desire for a 2008/2009 Dodge Charger SRT-8, with all 4 options, in "Tor-Red" I had a HEMI in 1970, and they were the best times in my life. At age 61 - I'd like one last fling. I cannot keep the Lincoln AND buy the Charger, since I will NEVER EVER sell my 1993 Sixty Special. My wife has a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4X4 that she is married to, and it too is flawless show-ready condition. (She waxes it !)

So, who thinks I would be making a mistake ? I have a ready, willing & able buyer for the Lincoln with $20,000 for it. I'd need to pitch in an additional $ 24, 000.00 for the Charger.
I don't worry about the gas ! I drive 2,200 miles a year, or 6 miles a day!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-04-08, 10:38 PM
Well I'm big on things that offer a nostalgic value, so I'd definitely go for the Charger.

Mark0101
05-04-08, 10:45 PM
Have even test drove the Charger? test drive it first before you regret selling your Town Car. BTW The price is good for your Town Car. Also I don't know about how the Charger will hold up in quality and reliabilty. I have an 02 Town Car bought new with 100,000 miles on it now. It doesn't rattle or anything. Just don't expect Town car reliability. Bottom line is sell your Town Car if you think your not going to be disappointed with the Charger.

hueterm
05-04-08, 11:11 PM
Since you have the 60 as a luxury car, I'd probably say to go w/the Charger if you really like the car. I'd test drive it first, though. And you're sure you'd rather not wait for the Challenger?

Sandy
05-04-08, 11:13 PM
TRUE, I have not even driven the Charger ! I'd assume a firmer & less forgiving ride than the T.C. The Caddy that I would buy would cost me $55,000. I can't go that high - that's just too much $$$ for me.
Here, in New Jersey, Charger are flying off lots. ALL models, all engines. Extremely popular. I've got to go drive a (smaller 5.9 version, just to get a feel for it.) Sick of Chrysler 300s - like the Charger's look better.

Sandy
05-04-08, 11:18 PM
Hueterm, The Challenger has allready been termed "A FLOP" ~
Was reading the web on it, today. It's not as fast as the Charger, due to poor aerodynamics, or so it said. Also, it's a coupe. I need a 4-door.
Challenger will be a 3 year run car, and it's really to small (interior-wise) for me.

My 1st choice would be a 2008 loaded DTS with Performance Pkg ... and my 2nd is the Charger. The Caddy is too costly. I thought when I paid off my mortgage, things would get easier - but now I am paying off our son's college loans. It never ends...

caddycruiser
05-04-08, 11:42 PM
Drive one...

As I said with the previous DTS "idea", the Town Car is really something I would be 150% sure about giving up before I did it. The Charger, especially in SRT-8 form is a complete 360. Firm, noisier, and really a monster. Still very comfortable and roomy, but in the way that a race track worthy big sedan is...i.e., zero of the supple or soft leather or wood of the Town Car, and nothing like it to sit in or drive. One is relaxing and a tank. One is a live wire that can race with the best of them and then settle down to cruise pleasantly enough.

But yeah, drive one. You can't know anything without that. And in the first few seconds of pulling on handles, closing the door, adjusting the seat, and hitting the first bump, you'll "know". If you don't want to get back in the TC or just really do want it gone after the drive, well, then you've answered the question.

Destroyer
05-04-08, 11:57 PM
I've got a burning desire for a 2008/2009 Dodge Charger SRT-8, with all 4 options, in "Tor-Red" I had a HEMI in 1970, and they were the best times in my life. At age 61 - I'd like one last fling. I cannot keep the Lincoln AND buy the Charger, since I will NEVER EVER sell my 1993 Sixty Special. My wife has a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4X4 that she is married to, and it too is flawless show-ready condition. (She waxes it !)

So, who thinks I would be making a mistake ? I have a ready, willing & able buyer for the Lincoln with $20,000 for it. I'd need to pitch in an additional $ 24, 000.00 for the Charger.
I don't worry about the gas ! I drive 2,200 miles a year, or 6 miles a day!Sandy, DO IT!. Hell, you are 61 years old, its now or never man!. If you have someone willing to pay $20k for an '03 Town car you would be dumb to turn that down even if you didn't buy the Charger. Sell the Town Car and buy what you really want to be driving. Like I said, life is short, go blow away some punks in Mustangs. :thumbsup:

hueterm
05-05-08, 12:19 AM
Would the DTS have to be brand new? I would think that you could get a CPO decked DTS for the price of a new Charger SRT-8. Especially if you drive so few miles.

Kev
05-05-08, 01:47 AM
Hey Sandy! :wavehi:

I love the idea of nostalgia but agree that you need to drive one as close as possible to what you'd end up with to get the best opinion. Then, if you feel the car would give you what you are looking for and you won't miss the Town Car too much ..... Go For It!!! :thumbsup:

70eldo
05-05-08, 09:23 AM
One last fling?

Well, then go for it!

96Fleetwood
05-05-08, 10:13 AM
Get the Charger! But drive one first!! The ride is harsh and the feel is sporty, if you want luxury, this is not it.

Sure you get modern electronics like Navigation, DVD, heated seats, and Bluetooth... but the luxury stops there.

The advantage of buying a 2008 is the available Xenon headlights. Other than that, stay away from 2006 models because they had issues with the Brembos.

My Father had a '06 Black SRT8 Charger and now has a '07 SuperBee as his daily driver. They are amazing cars for the money.

FYI, he is selling the '07 Superbee SRT8. It has 8,000 miles on it. Showroom condition and every option. It is number 844/1000. I will be putting it on eBay for him next week. He loves the car but wanted another convertible.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Picture075.jpg

He just bought a new daily driver... 590 ft/lbs of torque V12 biturbo hardtop convertible :cool2:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-05-08, 12:20 PM
Since you have the 60 as a luxury car, I'd probably say to go w/the Charger if you really like the car.

One problem, he never drives that car. Sandy, keep the Town Car. IMHO, if you really want to have a "last fling", go and search for the real thing. I know they aren't cheap or easy to come by, but look around for a classic Charger like the one you used to own. My grandfather recently bought a 1958 Ford Truck, just like the one he used to own after he got out of the military, and he loves it. He's 71 years old and undergoing massive chemo treatments every day and it really brings a smile to his face when it gets nice out and he can drive it around.

AMGoff
05-06-08, 12:06 AM
Sandy! Good to see ya posting some more... How are you feeling? Much better I hope...

Anyway... My two cents...

First off... If I were to go out and spend the money on a new LX Chrysler... it would be the Challenger. The car is certainly not a flop... Unless for some reason you require four doors for others to easily get in and out of, there's really no extra practicality from one to another. As far as you would personally be concerned, there will be just as much space in the front seat of a Challenger as there would be in the Charger... the cars are virtually identical - it would be like saying there wasn't enough room for you in a Coupe Deville compared to a Sedan Deville. The same can be said for the speed, at least in your day to day driving... I doubt you'll be topping either of them out up there in the North!

Anyway... I (for me at least) guess my point is... If you have the choice between two cars that ride the same, offer the same amount of driver space, and are otherwise not much more than 2 and 4 door versions of the same car... I know I'd go for the 2 door version (which I know you've mentioned your preference for coupes before), because A.) When available, I'd always go for the coupe, B.) I'd say the Challenger is the better looking of the two, and C.) As you pointed out, at least here in the great State of New Jersey - those LX cars still sell very well... there are tons of Chargers and 300s on the road, so I know I wouldn't want one that looks like everyone else's.

Beyond that.... if you were dead set on buying 4-doors, why on earth would you waste your money on a brand new one?? The only real benefit (other than two more doors) the Charger offers over the Challenger is the fact that it's been on the market for a few years now... You can find pristine examples of pre-owned Chargers that are still under factory warranty for as much as anywhere between 30-50% off the original sticker price. Like pretty much all other domestic makes, these things depreciate like crazy... I'd just hate to waste your money, especially since there aren't any real discernible changes between the brand new ones and the pre-owned ones... the only big difference would possibly be that fancy new warranty they have, but not with these since they aren't offered on SRT models.

But as others have mentioned... Go drive one first because honestly, coming from a TC any SRT LX car will feel like driving a slab of sheetrock with four wheels! But if you're not concerned with ride quality, especially because you're keeping the 60, then please please please check out a pre-owned Charger if you're sure you'd rather have one of those instead of the sexy Challenger!

hueterm
05-06-08, 01:24 AM
SO yeah that ^^^

Sandy
05-06-08, 09:51 AM
WOW
Loads of thoughts! I took out a 5.9 (half) HEMI Charger, late yesterday. It's a neat place to visit ~ but I am not sure I'd wanna live there. I am pretty sure that I am going to keep Towniee.

When I was in the car business (Salesman for "only" 27 years) I was with a small "in-town" suburban middle to upper middle class town. We simply could not draw the number of shoppers to us, that the "Super-Duper Highway "Discounters" could. So.... I came up with the idea of "Rallye Alley" ~ We had a long, and narrow strip next to the building (The Alley) and we went after the Hi-Po segment and stocked (YES....STOCKED) cars that would give the other Dodge dealers nightmares! You cannot imagine what we had. Hemis galore!
Coronet R/Ts Super Bees, Charger 440 Six Pacs, and HEMIs, Challenger HEMIs, Hemis in Challenger Convertibles, 383 4-Bbl Dart Swingers, etc. Nothing was too wild, and we sold the crap outta them! To advertise, we 4 salesmen and out Sales Manager all drove them, and also ultra rare limited editions.

I had a little known genuine MOPAR 45-day availability "BULLIT EDITION Charger, triple black, leather and a 440 underhood. I had a Plum Crazy Challenger R/T S.E. 340 6-Pac hardtop, and a Coronet R/T HEMI Convertible (1 of 17 made). We had folks coming out from New York and even from Pennsy to see Rally Alley. It was indeed....AWESOME !

We treated customers like family and never raped buyers. We were a "Clean House" and had hoards of repeat buyers.

In 1969 for a fleeting moment in history, Chrysler seperated the IMPERIAL from the Chrysler line and was offering the Imperial Franchise as a seperate entity ~ We bit. We were the sole Imperial / Dodge store in America. In 7 months, Mother Mopar took it away from us. To this day, I've never seen another IMPERIAL / DODGE sign. This was in 1969.

So, I think I'll keep Towniee. She is perfect. Never had even the slightest adjustment needed. Only thing Town Cars need is more power. H.P. is 239.
I miss the raw power, and smile it brings.

I may be 61, but I'm still havin' fun ! The kid in me never fully grew up.
The body ages, the mind don't !!!!:histeric:

Still I remember:
Plum Crazy > Sublime > Tor-Red > Top Banana > Sassy Grass Green > Panther Pink > Hemi Orange > Vitimim C > I am Curious Yella > Blue-By-You > and others...

96Fleetwood
05-06-08, 10:18 AM
Why not modify the Town Car?

With the money you were going to spend on the Charger you could do so much! I have seen several Marauders with the V10 swap and so many supercharged.

The P71 suspension and bars would swap over perfectly...

and there are adapters to put the Mustang Cobra 18X8.5/9.5 wheels on the Panther chassis!

The sky is the limit.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-06-08, 11:57 AM
Why not modify the Town Car?

With the money you were going to spend on the Charger you could do so much! I have seen several Marauders with the V10 swap and so many supercharged.

The P71 suspension and bars would swap over perfectly...

and there are adapters to put the Mustang Cobra 18X8.5/9.5 wheels on the Panther chassis!

The sky is the limit.

The ultimate sleeper. :yup: No punk little kid would expect a 61 year old man in a Town Car to kick their ass. You could have a lot of fun with that idea Sandy.

96Fleetwood
05-06-08, 01:48 PM
http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2111a.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cYpQjZgz7o

hueterm
05-06-08, 05:28 PM
Since your TC is probably out of warranty, even more of a reason to mod it.

AlBundy
05-06-08, 07:04 PM
http://www.auto-rv.com/Browse.aspx?AdName=CM3100019

http://www.auto-rv.com/Browse.aspx?AdName=CI6040283

http://www.auto-rv.com/Browse.aspx?AdName=BI6050289

Sandy
05-06-08, 08:55 PM
No, modding Towniee is not an option. It's not stock, and 'ya all know my middle name is "STOCK" ! :) It's keep Towniee or buy a SRT-8. Thing about the Charger was that it LOOKED to be good size overall, but inside it felt small-ish. Maybe it was cause of the bucket seats / console set up.... ? Too late to order a '08, anyhow. By September, I will make up my mind. 67% chance keep Towniee and a 33% chance for a SRT-8

I priced out the SRT-8 totally maxed out (How I always buy).... MSRLP $47,957.00 -
Option Group I
Option Group II
Option Group III
Rear Seat Television
HID Headlights
Power MoonRoof
Side Air Bags
SRT-8 "DESIGN" Wheels
Performance Tires
Tor-Red Paint
Back-Up Warning Alert
Remote Start
Illuminarted Entry Sills
Pedal Dress-Up
Cargo Tray

$45,500 Selling Price
$28,700 including 7% Sales Tax Minus the $20,000 for Townie = $ 28,700 fresh cash. Ummmm.

caddycruiser
05-06-08, 09:57 PM
It is a large car. But a lot of what probably made it "feel" small to you is a) the all black inside, and b) the high up and short windows. The chopped top window look has become common, even on cars like our new '08 Malibu, and has its way of making a roomy car seem closed in when it really isn't. You get used to it.

But sure...COMPLETELY different animal than a Town Car. One is a beast that could go 100k's even without great treatment and still pamper you with soothing leather, a plush ride, and silence, and the other is a hulking beast meant to cruise nicely when asked but otherwise grip every iota of road like a racer, while still providing family space. Different, different cars. Probably if the Charger interior was a bit richer with softer or better leather and dash/door designs, as well as lighter colors...you might have thought otherwise.

Destroyer
05-06-08, 10:10 PM
WOW
I may be 61, but I'm still havin' fun ! The kid in me never fully grew up.
The body ages, the mind don't !!!!:histeric:

Are you sure Sandy?. You DID decide to keep the Townie. With two children and a shitload of bills I refrain from doing everything I want to but you Sandy should go full speed ahead and do everything you want to do and drive anything you want to drive NOW. To quote Van Halen:

"Don't wanna wait 'til tomorrow
Why put it off another day?
One by one, little problems
Build up, and stand in our way. Oh
One step ahead, one step behind it
Now ya gotta run to get even
Make future plans I'll dream about yesterday, hey!
Come on turn, turn this thing around

(Right now) Hey! It's your tomorrow
(Right now) Come on, it's everything
(Right now) Catch your magic moment
Do it right here and now
It means everything"

Sandy
05-07-08, 12:57 AM
You got 2 children, and I am still paying off a college loan. At least the mortgage is toast, but.....it's N.J. AND frickin' property taxes are out of control.
Years & years ago, we shoulda moved to Iowa ! IF I coulda sold Dodges, I sure as heck woulda been able to sell corn !
"Would you like undercoating on your corn, sir?"

Destroyer
05-07-08, 01:13 AM
You got 2 children, and I am still paying off a college loan. At least the mortgage is toast, but.....it's N.J. AND frickin' property taxes are out of control.
Years & years ago, we shoulda moved to Iowa ! IF I coulda sold Dodges, I sure as heck woulda been able to sell corn !
"Would you like undercoating on your corn, sir?"All I'm saying is do it while you can. A good friend of mine died months ago. Like you (at 76 though), he kept puttin things off. I told him, like I'm telling you, just do what you need and want to do cause there may be no tomorrow. These are your golden years, make them count.

After the kids are grown and I'm a bit older (about your age), I plan on doing all the shit I always wanted to do like travel, get a badass motorcycle and just have a good time till my body says I cant do it anymore. After that it'll be doctors and Depends till I die.

Sandy
05-07-08, 01:29 AM
I cannot think that way. Dr says that I am out-performing 99% of the patients there (and there are ALOT). 77% cured, in 6 months. 3 months to go.
Granted, NOW I feel sick most of the time from the Chemo...But the colon cancer symptoms are gone. Having uncountable really ~HOT~ demos, during my career, AND even buying my own car, while have a demo, and later when married, my wife's car, and then when I retired, buying my own cars....one more or less car (Charger) really in the grand scheme of things, would not sadden me, if I didn't buy it, and would not make me a world happier if I do buy it.

We'll talk again, tomorrow. Tired now. Bedtime.:yawn:

Sandy

AlBundy
05-07-08, 02:27 AM
Sandy, you know you can get the car you grew up with for a certain price without giving up the TC. So unless you want a newer car, I don't understand why you don't go after the cars your use to in your past? The $$$ your going to put out for another car could also cover the tab for the car your experience remembers.

Kev
05-07-08, 02:57 AM
Yes, but for some people it's not the same when it has been rebuilt or reconditioned and that's OK. Some take pride and joy knowing that they were the first to own the vehicle and that it is just as clean now as when it rolled off the showroom floor. There is the smell and feel of newness still about it. The gleam of untarnished metals. The comfort of plush, unworn upholstery. The odometer showing no more than 5 digits.......

Sandy
05-07-08, 10:40 AM
1970s. Been there - done that syndrome. I want air bags for safety. and the new "toyz" they offer.

THE car that woulda been AAA purr-fect for me, was available....but only in TEXAS. There was a L-M dealer in Texas that was taking new Town Cars, ordered to your specs, and swapping out their engines and putting in Mustang Cobra V-8s, ordered new from Ford. I understood that they were about as easy as replacing a 100 watt light bulb with a 75 watt light bulb! (and) The Cobra V-8 was 100% fully covered under FoMoCo warrantee !! The rest of the car remained stock. It was highly suggested that the buyer order the Trailer Tow Pkg on their ordered TC to get the HD cooling Pkg & Radiator and the higher axle ratio, and 1 or 2 other things that option included. That woulda fit me perfect.

This coming Saturday is my looong awaited show. The North Jersey CADILLAC show. It's terrific!!!! God willing, i will feel okay, and the Chemo effects will take a day off (Okay, i'll settle for a few hours) :worship: and i am planning on taking my flawless pristine 100% original stock virgin Sixty Special.

IF you would like to go, it's at ROYAL CADILLAC/HUMMER on Columbia Turnpike in Florham Park. You can get directions here:
http:www//RoyalCadillachummer.com

Starts at 9AM ! IF you are going to show a car, it's $15.00 and you must have a fire extinguesher on board. (I have no idea why~)
No kids under 12 and no pets.
There will be food / drink.
The cars that show up are like the photos in Collectible Automobile Magazine!

Sandy
05-07-08, 10:43 AM
1970s. Been there - done that syndrome. I want air bags for safety. and the new "toyz" they offer.

THE car that woulda been AAA purr-fect for me, was available....but only in TEXAS. There was a L-M dealer in Texas that was taking new Town Cars, ordered to your specs, and swapping out their engines and putting in Mustang Cobra V-8s, ordered new from Ford. I understood that they were about as easy as replacing a 100 watt light bulb with a 75 watt light bulb! (and) The Cobra V-8 was 100% fully covered under FoMoCo warrantee !! The rest of the car remained stock. It was highly suggested that the buyer order the Trailer Tow Pkg on their ordered TC to get the HD cooling Pkg & Radiator and the higher axle ratio, and 1 or 2 other things that option included. That woulda fit me perfect.

This coming Saturday is my looong awaited show. The North Jersey CADILLAC show. It's terrific!!!! God willing, i will feel okay, and the Chemo effects will take a day off (Okay, i'll settle for a few hours) :worship: and i am planning on taking my flawless pristine 100% original stock virgin Sixty Special.

IF you would like to go, it's at ROYAL CADILLAC/HUMMER on Columbia Turnpike in Florham Park. You can get directions here:
http://www.royalcadillac.net/

or here, also
http://www.royalcadillac.net/HoursAndDirections

Starts at 9AM ! IF you are going to show a car, it's $15.00 and you must have a fire extinguesher on board. (I have no idea why~)
No kids under 12 and no pets.
There will be food / drink.
The cars that show up are like the photos in Collectible Automobile Magazine!

I would enjoy meeting anyone!

96Fleetwood
05-07-08, 11:09 AM
Is your son still in College, graduate school, or is he working?

If he is working, I say it is time for you to enjoy your money and your son to pay back his loans. :thumbsup:

On another note, you can buy a slightly used STS-V for the same price as a new Charger SRT8:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-Cadillac-Sts-V-Sedan-Over-77-000-msrp_W0QQitemZ260235850395QQihZ016QQcategoryZ12411 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now that would satisfy the luxury & power need! It was a GM company car and they state they will certify it till 100K miles for $1,000 more. What more can you ask for?

Sandy
05-07-08, 11:27 AM
He graduated college, earned a degree in finance & accounting and passed his state exams and is a Certified C.P.A. and then went back to earn a J.D. (Law Degree) ~ he is paying for law school, from doing accounting privately on the side, while I am meeting my verbal commitment to him of paying off his initial college loans for his 4 years, prior.
He is also making car payments on his 2007 Mazda 3 Grand Touring Edition. He is maxed out financially, but, in the end, he will be wealthy. Was voted MLTS by his peers in Accounting. Was president of the Accounting society on campus and president of his Frat. Very involved in giving, he headed a group to fund raising money for Danny Thomas research hospital in Denver, Colo. by breaking all records of $$$ raised on a college campus. He was the leader of the group and did it by making a tie in with a National Pizza Chain. He raised $ 18,854.08 in 6 weeks !
He is a really good kid, and I made him the promise that I'd pay for his college. (4 years, thereof).

gdwriter
05-07-08, 02:15 PM
He is a really good kid, and I made him the promise that I'd pay for his college. (4 years, thereof).Good for you, Sandy. I really respect how you're honoring your promise to your son. If he continues along the path in life that he's shown so far as described in your posts, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to buy you the car of your dreams. He seems like the kind of kid who would do that (and will likely have the $$ to do it in a few years).

AMGoff
05-07-08, 04:11 PM
Sandy...

Just out of curiosity, if there still is a 33% chance of getting the SRT-8.... Have you even looked at pre-owned models? I don't know you personally, so I don't know what your car buying habits are, ie - if you're the type of person who have to buy brand new for no other reason than it being brand new. As I said, the only real benefit the Charger offers over the Challenger is the fact that it's been on the market for a few years now. Chrysler has made almost zero changes to the brand new ones versus any late model Charger... anyone who bought a new one 2-3 years ago would find the brand new ones today virtually identical. So unless you're one of those people who have to buy brand new, you could save a lot of money buying a pre-owned example. If they had made sweeping changes to the model, that would be one thing but they haven't... and just remember, this time next year your new SRT-8 will be just as "new" as one that's a couple years old - the only difference being that by this time next year you'll have lost $10-20K versus a late model one that's already taken its biggest hit in depreciation.

Being that you were in the car business, you know full well the value lost in the first 1-2 years of ownership. These things depreciate like crazy... So why waste the money? Why not buy one that someone else has already taken the biggest hit on? There are many low-mileage, super-clean, pre-owned examples out there of the exact same car you're looking at for thousands upon thousands less... the only real difference is that the owner's manual will have an "06" on the cover rather than an "08." That's it... nothing more... Is that number really worth tens of thousands of dollars?

I also know you've said you're "sick" of the 300s... but if you are still interested in such a car, you might want to at least drive an SRT-8 300... you're going to get the same car, but a softer ride and a nicer interior... and that softer ride might make a bigger difference than you realize. Where are you going to spend the most of your time with it? On the inside... and that's all that matters! Regardless, they're still handsome cars... and the SRT versions do add a little extra to the exterior appearance, so you'll still be driving something different compared to all of the "pedestrian" versions out on the road.

Sandy
05-07-08, 05:29 PM
Nope! Wise words wasted on deaf ears. Sorry. I am - and have always been, a new car buyer. I do, however, save on other things. My wife sometimes goes to house sales of million dollar homes and buys furniture pieces for pennies on the dollar.
The Chrysler 300 & Charger SRT-8 have identical interiors. BOTH need upgrading !!

I wish Mother MOPAR would get off the pot & bring back the Imperial.

Build it off the Charger/300 but stretch it 6-8 inches, and give it those sucide-doors, that they
had shown to us. Padded Leather Door Panels trimmed with REAL wood, deep carpeting,
Soft Supple QUALITY leather, unique (not shared) paint colors, and the 6.1 HEMI.
I'd buy it. I had 5 Imperials. My dad had double that. My uncle had 21 Imperials !

But.... ChryCo will not. WHY can't high performance go hand & hand with luxury ?
People no longer want Dusters with 360 V-8s. They want comfort, convenience, luxury
AND HI PO ~ The Charger SRT 8 hits a two base hit. I want a home run !
There are many imports that do it - but I will only buy American, or Mazda or Volvo
or Saab, as GM and/or FoMoCo own them.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-07-08, 05:34 PM
Sandy, you know this would be a lot easier if you weren't so damn picky. :thepan:

No used cars, won't mod anything. Where's the fun in that?

96Fleetwood
05-07-08, 05:36 PM
They offer the performance for under $45K with some modern ammenities. If they made it luxurious like the STS-V, then it would be reflected in the MSRP just like the STS-V ($77K).

Head over to www.chargerforums.com (http://www.chargerforums.com)

It is a whole different ball game with the SRT8 guys. Plenty of 600+ RWHP SRT8s on that forum and a couple T56 conversions.

My Father is about to take a $10-12,000 dollar hit on his 2007 SuperBee SRT-8. It only has 8,000 miles on it :( He changes cars way too often.

Why not consider a loaded '08 STS V8? The luxury is there and the performance is better than the Town Car.

RightTurn
05-07-08, 06:55 PM
I am - and have always been, a new car buyer.

:highfive: Ya, baby. :D

AMGoff
05-07-08, 07:23 PM
I guess I'll just never understand it, especially since there are some really good deals out there:

'07 Dodge SRT-8 in Camel, NY with 5K on the clock for $39K (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=229501493&dealer_id=679176&car_year=2007&model=DODCHAR&num_records=25&systime=&make3=&make2=CHRY&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=8+Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&only_price=1&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&model2=300&search_lang=en&make=DODGE&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=07042&advanced=y&only_photo=1&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=50)

A "used" 2008 Dodge SRT-8 with five (5!) miles for $36K in Orange, NJ (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=241575437&dealer_id=80425&car_year=2008&model=DODCHAR&num_records=25&systime=&make3=&make2=CHRY&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=8+Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&only_price=1&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&model2=300&search_lang=en&make=DODGE&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=07042&advanced=y&only_photo=1&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=3)

A 2007 Chrysler SRT-8 in Levittown, NY with 16K miles for $30K(!) (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=242682095&dealer_id=1361728&car_year=2007&model=DODCHAR&num_records=25&systime=&make3=&make2=CHRY&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=8+Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&only_price=1&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&model2=300&search_lang=en&make=DODGE&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=07042&advanced=y&only_photo=1&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=37)

An Inferno Red '07 Chrysler SRT-8 with only 12K miles for $29K in Westbury, NY (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=242288790&dealer_id=94396&car_year=2007&model=DODCHAR&num_records=25&systime=&make3=&make2=CHRY&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=8+Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&only_price=1&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&model2=300&search_lang=en&make=DODGE&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=07042&advanced=y&only_photo=1&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=35)

Another '07 Chrysler SRT-8 with 12K miles for $29K (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=241255969&dealer_id=91593&car_year=2007&model=DODCHAR&num_records=25&systime=&make3=&make2=CHRY&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=8+Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&only_price=1&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&model2=300&search_lang=en&make=DODGE&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=07042&advanced=y&only_photo=1&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=41)

A 2007 Dodge SRT-8 Demo with 7K for $39K in Bedford Hills, NY (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=240517846&dealer_id=570188&car_year=2007&num_records=25&model=DODCHAR&make3=&systime=&make2=CHRY&start_year=1981&engine=8%2BCylinder&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&only_price=1&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&model2=300&search_lang=en&first_record=26&make=DODGE&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%253A%253Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=07042&only_photo=1&advanced=y&end_year=2009&pager.offset=25&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=39)

The list just goes on and on.. there are hundreds of examples in the NNJ area alone. Yes, the interiors are virtually identical.. although I still think the ones in the Chrysler are a little bit nicer... but maybe that's because I've only ever been in the more "luxury" oriented 300C, with the creamier leathers and the tortoise shell (which I actually like.) The fact remains though... a top of the line 300 is about as close to an Imperial as you're going to get for a long, long time - even if they had gone and made the Imperial... it still would have only been a slightly stretched LX car - and it would have all come from the sheetmetal in the form of overhangs and such (since even though the concept was 17" longer than the 300, the wheelbase was stretched less than 3" than the 300). Regardless... I'd still say that although still much firmer than the TC, the ride of the 300 would be much more to your liking than the Charger.

I know, I know... I'm just beating a dead horse here. If people can afford it, then they should go and buy whatever they like. I know several people who insist on only buying brand new, but for me it's just a hard proposition to swallow... probably because even though the wife and I live very comfortably, I still couldn't afford to lose upwards of $20,000 in a years time. I guess if I were in your particular position, I would look at it like... I have this TC that I really, really like and I would want $20K for it... If I bought a brand new SRT-8 for a fun, "poops and giggles" car - I'm going to have to spend $48K... but if I bought a 2007 SRT-8 with almost no miles I could afford to keep my TC that I love and get this new toy! I guess the other reason I'm brining it up is because I remember how you were saying how much you liked those Volvo S80s, but that they were too much money for you to swallow.

But I also know that I keep bringing my own personal feelings to the situation... I won't buy a new car as I can't justify the loss. I've only ever bought one brand new vehicle and the was my '04 Regal GS and the only reason I did so was because I got a phenomenal deal on it which drastically lessened the depreciation hit.

Either way.... as others have mentioned... have you even checked out any of the new Cadillacs? Again, this is just my personal feeling, but if could drop $40-50K I would certainly be looking at a new Cadillac... you'd be getting a ride you're much more accustomed to... you would be getting VASTLY better build quality and materials... and you'd still be getting some rip-snorting performance. It's a win-win....

Heck, for that kind of money.. you could possibly look into getting a custom shop to take a Deville/DTS and turn it into a coupe for ya!! :)

96Fleetwood
05-07-08, 09:09 PM
Wow, so my Father priced his pretty good. He is asking $35K obo for his Loaded '07 SuperBee SRT8 with 8K miles.

Sandy
05-08-08, 03:51 PM
The SRT-8 Charger would cost me $ 21,000 "new" money. $21,000 + the $20,000 for the Town Car = $41,000 the cost of the Charger including NJ sales tax. So.... I'd be spending $21,000.

Today, I took out the Town Car, for a ride. Truth be told, I cannot bring myself to sell her.
I love everything about her, short of having more ponies underhood.

I mean, I have a soft spot for gadgits. I click the remote, the doors unlock, the seat changes from
my wife's posistion to mine, via the remote, the stereo station pre-sets switch from hers to mine,
the power trunk also power closes itself, from fully opened posistion and the thing has a
single slot in Dash CD, a Cassette, and a remote controled from dash trunk mounted 6-disc CD.
The only car that I have found that has more "toyzz" is the Volvo S-80 AWD V-8 with its Personal Car Communacator feature and the rest of the stuff.

I went again & looked at the SRT-8. I do not blame anyone for wanting one, but I just can't give up my TC. If it was giving me trouble, well then....yes. But, it is not. I just got the New Car buzz I guess.
I guess I'll just take 2 Aspens and call ya in the morning.

Sat is the big Caddy Show. I'll be there (I hope & pray). It will be the FIRST time my Sixty will have left the garage since last October. I got it going this AM. Charged up the battery real good. She's got a full tank of $2.25 Premium Gulf from last October, and was under velvet wraps. Love Blooms. Mikleage is 9,908.

AMGoff
05-08-08, 06:08 PM
Did you use any additives/stabilizers in the gas?? I've never found it to be a good thing letting gas sit for 6+ months, especially over winter... not that it necessarily goes bad, but seasonal changes do have an effect on it over time.

Sandy
05-08-08, 11:00 PM
I used to put in a can of stabilizer, but I stopped doing it when someone at show told me it could do more harm than good. I have had zero trouble.
[I] filled the tank with Mobil Premium and disconected the battery, covered her with 2 soft lined quilts and then a nylon-like car cover. She shares the garage with the Town Car, who also avoids old man winter. Wife & I share her 2001 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Limited 4x4 from Nov. thru April. Garage is tight as a vault, no windows nor foot passage doors. Double wall construction, insulation and a 7 year asphalt roof. Electric Door with no windows in it.
Jeep lives in driveway along with son's '07 Mazda 3 G.T. Driveway has motion sensor 3 High Intensity lights.

What Caddy needs is a nice long ride, without stop 'n go traffic. Easily found at 6AM on a Sunday morning ! But....I have been too sick, as of late to muster up the GO GO GO I used to have. It seems to have WENT WENT WENT:noidea:

caddycruiser
05-09-08, 12:21 AM
SO...what will be the next car to give you dirty thoughts about the TC? ;)

I'm going through "that thing" still with the Fleetwood, even being 13 years and 132k old...even in looks alone, it's just special. But then also still an old, crotchety beast due for quite a bit of work, not super efficient, etc. It's a trade-off, just like with any car.

So you've done DTS and then Charger SRT-8...hmm...

Sandy
05-09-08, 10:00 AM
My other 2 favorites are a Mustang GT Convertible and the Volvo S-80 V-8 AWD Premier Edition. But, I am gonna hold on to Towniee, for now.

70eldo
05-09-08, 01:28 PM
My other 2 favorites are a Mustang GT Convertible and the Volvo S-80 V-8 AWD Premier Edition. But, I am gonna hold on to Towniee, for now.

I bet you will end up selling the TC for the Camaro next year :rolleyes:

Sandy
05-09-08, 06:52 PM
Do not bet ! (Hint) I would NEVER own a Camaro. They might be nice, even great, but the brand just turns me off, totally. Ditto, the Javelin, & the Cougar. and the Firebird. The only ones I liked were the 'Cuda, the Challenger and the Mustang.

They may look nearly identical, but the 2003 T.C. was the T.C. high water mark. Beginning 2004, onto 2005 & 2006 as well as 2007 & 2008 Ford in each year decontented the car, in only ways that a 2003 owner would discover.
I learned this because evey time I took her in for service, they gave me a new one to drive home. With each following year, I found designed in features that were missing or "plugs" over holes where prior controls had been located. Therefore, I have much more appreciation for my 2003 "The Limited" and I am gonna keep it a while longer. Wife is (naturally) against the Charger SRT-8 and is drawn to the Lucene or a DTS .... or a Grand Marquis.

Sandy
05-09-08, 07:41 PM
Just a small example:

In 2003 the glove box is lined on all surfaces with a felt-like material. In 2004 that thin material was deleted. Then the interior of the glove box is hard smooth plastic. Stuff constantly slides around in there and bumps around hitting the sides of the glove box.

In 2003 the reverse warning alert was BOTH audible AND visable. The audible was a pleasant but firm chime, and located above the interior rear window was a bank of 6 LED red lites. Think of them like this 000 000 and call them 1-2-3-4-5-6. When you are 2 feet from whatever is in back of you # 1 & 6 illuminate, when you are 1 foot away #s 2 & 5 JOIN 1 & 6 and when you are 6 inches away #s 3 and 4 join in making the entire OOO OOO illuminate. For 2005, they did away with this visable warning leaving only the audible alert.

In 2006 the carpeting went from honest to goodness GOOD carpet with a 3/4 inch nap TO a PREMIUM felt, similiar to the stuff they lay UNDER your carpet at home ! The 2005 leather was of somewhat less premium...

2007 saw the demise of the number of paint colors from 13 down to 9 and the mid-year dropping of the fog light option....

2008 saw the dropping of the Power MoonRoof, the Navagation, the THX Stereo, paint color choices down to 7 No Fog Lights, El Cheapo headlingng material and only 1 model (or series)....

So, you can see it just got a bit less each year as the price continued to climb. The 2003 was the ultimate of the 1988-2008 group.

96Fleetwood
05-10-08, 01:36 PM
Those "gadgets" on the TC are pretty commonplace now and I think you would be amazed at what the European and Japanese luxobarges offer as far as options. Even my fiancee's Father's Chevy Trailblazer LTZ has that remote option. He has remote number 1 and his wife has number 2, and it changes all the seats, mirrors, presets, etc with the click of a button.

The SRT-8 brings go fast fun for a reasonable price with a few frills. No other sedan but the CTS-V can bring you that much HP for under $50K.

The other sedans that match that with tons of luxury & gadgets are the BMW M5, Mercedes E63, and Cadillac STS-V... but they all cost double.

AMGoff
05-10-08, 02:04 PM
Oooohhh... Sandy - Listen to your wife!!!

Have you gone and checked out the new Lucernes?? I had the opportunity to drive a fully decked-out '08 Lucerne CXS and let me tell ya... she's one hell of a nice car! Being that you'd be coming from a TC, I think you'd absolutely adore the Lucurne... plenty of room, plenty of gadgets, and the ride is phenomenal - for the money, I honestly think the Lucerne is second to none (in its target segment of course).. And actually... if your main complaint about the TC is its rather anemic/puny power, then you'd really like the Lucerne... you get all of the "cush" of the TC but with wonderful amounts of power on tap whenever you need it!

So yeah... if you haven't done so, go check one out... you'd be pleasantly surprised!! :thumbsup:

Sandy
05-10-08, 02:37 PM
Yes, it was THE FIRST car we looked at. As a matter of fact it was the first Lucerne SUPER delivered to a dealer in this county. It's IS very nice, I agree >>> but then I went onto a Buick Lucerne board and those folks have many concerns. Center armrest is too short in length to be useful, Squeeks & Rattles(THAT REALLY BOTHERS ME) and you cannot get it with HID headlights, a glaring (PUN) omission in that class. Furthermore there were 2 other items (I can't recall them at this moment) that were also "missing" ~ so, I pretty much wrote it off.
The owners liked them, but wished they could get fixed what was wrong, which was mostly creeks and squeeks.

This AM we 2 went to Cadillac to see a DTS Performance Level III in Crystal Red. I hate the dash panel in it, but was willing to test drive it. It would not start. They jumped it and it stalled at the entrance/exit of the dealership, and would not re-start. I may wait for the forthcoming Lincoln MKS - Should be here soon....
or, just keep Towniee.

AMGoff
05-10-08, 04:21 PM
That's weird about the Lucerne... while I didn't have it for an extended period of time, I didn't notice any squeaks or rattles... it seemed to be extremely well built... and from everything I've heard from my uncle who bought his last year, he's had nothing but good things to say about it.

I couldn't even consider any of these new generation of Lincolns... the only thing they do is highlight just how cash-strapped Ford is these days... there's nothing unique about them and all I would ever think while driving an MKS is that it's nothing more than a gussied-up Taurus. Once the TC is officially gone, I won't be able to think of Lincoln as a luxury car maker... but only one that makes premium/entry-lux cars... they've basically become the "American Acura."

Sandy
05-10-08, 04:58 PM
That leaves you 28 days (exactly) to continue thinking of Lincoln as a Luxury Car. I notice that HIDs at GM have become the sole domain of the Cadillac Division. I wonder why?
I sure miss the Imperial LeBaron and the Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham.

:cloud9: RIDE

hueterm
05-10-08, 11:40 PM
What is the difference in a Lucerne Super and a Lucerne CXS w/the V8?

Sandy
05-11-08, 12:29 AM
Super has a has a unique grille, Suede & perforated leather, 15 H.P. more,
4 Exhaust port outlets at the rear, chromed, and all but 4 "options" made standard. Sadly, it's limited to (I think) 5 paint colors. It also had it's own unique wheels that are chromed and are really nice. There is matched suede on the door panels to match the seats, and a darker style of interior wood trim.
Comes in Gold, Diamond White, Black & Metallic Red. Black or Tan Interior in each.

AMGoff
05-13-08, 12:50 AM
The Lucerne Super is really kind of a rip compared to the LaCrosse Super... at least with the latter you go from a little six cylinder to a big ol' 5.3... The Lucerne CXS vs the Super would be more akin to a DHS vs a DTS.

hueterm
05-13-08, 01:59 AM
I guess it's not too much different from SLS vs STS or Deville/DHS vs DTS. Those had only a 25 HP difference.

Night Wolf
05-13-08, 11:11 AM
So, you can see it just got a bit less each year as the price continued to climb. The 2003 was the ultimate of the 1988-2008 group.

I take it you mean 1998?

Yeah, I know what you are saying though.... but in '05 or '06 the instrument panel did get updated to finally get a tach and a more updated dash layout.

I miss all the digital buzz of my '96 tho that the '98+ do not have.

Sandy
05-13-08, 11:01 PM
Wolf, I was "M.I.A." for a while, sick, in hospital, surgery, you name it.... Tell me, did they EVER find your Coupe DeVille? I really still feel really badly about your loss. Such a nice car. I was sure they'd find it. I am sorry, but maybe you did... like I said, I was gone for some time. Do you still have the old Oldsmobile ? Are we EVER gonna meet? I ain't getting any younger, ya know ! R-U stillwith Amy ??? Ever come back up North to N.Y. ?? Invite still stands !!!!!

Night Wolf
05-14-08, 12:27 AM
Wolf, I was "M.I.A." for a while, sick, in hospital, surgery, you name it.... Tell me, did they EVER find your Coupe DeVille? I really still feel really badly about your loss. Such a nice car. I was sure they'd find it. I am sorry, but maybe you did... like I said, I was gone for some time. Do you still have the old Oldsmobile ? Are we EVER gonna meet? I ain't getting any younger, ya know ! R-U stillwith Amy ??? Ever come back up North to N.Y. ?? Invite still stands !!!!!

Man, long time no talk.....

Glad you are feeling better tho! :)

Coupe was never found, heard of or saw again..... locating another 1 of 119 1993 Slate Bronze Metallic Coupe has not turned up anything either.

The Olds was sold back in '06 right after I got the Isuzu.... sold it to a friend of the forum here, I do miss that car but the rust/rot was too much for the use and type of driving I was doing, since it was my only car.

We'll have to see when we can meet... I work for an airlines, so I can fly for free, helps to make going places cheaper.

Aimee and I split up about 7 months ago..... quite alot involved there though.... I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss her from time to time, we left on about the best note we could with no hard feelings either way. Nobody else has came into the picture so far, since then I've been on one date, but other then that, nothing. I bought a house in January so I've been busy working around the place getting things cleaned up, fixed up and made the way I like it. I just got the Isuzu running again last weekend after being down for 6 months due to blown headgasket/chipped piston. Just got back from taking the Town Car on a 1,200 mile road trip this weekend.

Sandy
05-14-08, 05:48 AM
Thamks for the update.
From where I sit, you've got it good! Obviously, a good job, a recent homeowner, and single ! What more could ya want? Sorry about Aimee, but it will all work out. The man above has it all planned out.

Airlines is a great field. Good benefits.

I am sick, that is why I am on the computer at 4:30AM !! Bad cold. Our son earned his CPA and is now a
certified Public Accountant. and supports himself !! Still lives home, as he actually does not make very much money & housing up here would take 90% of his net income. He bought a 2007 Mazda 3
gran
touring
edition (the top model) in dark purple metallic. It's a really nice car, but too small for me !!!

I have found a 1991 Caddy Fleetwood SIXTY SPECIAL with the Italian seating (the 22-way seats) that is in excellent condition, and I could buy. I think it has like 19,000 on it. But I am looking for a garage, to move 1 of my cars into, so this Sixty could have a "nest" People look to get a small fortune up here for a dirty crappy garage. $ 275 @ month seems to be the "norm"
Too much !! I keep looking.

caddycruiser
05-14-08, 09:23 PM
^^Sandy, oy. That whole post contributes further to my "issue" if and when one of my Somerset, NJ area job prospects may pan out. The north Jersey insane cost of...everything.

Not to take this off topic, just read that, and had to comment. Guess that's another big reason I've lived in PA and DE but only even ventured to the land of Jersey once realistically.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-14-08, 10:53 PM
Gee Sandy, if you need space, I'm sure Adam(Goff) would be more than willing to let you park the additional Fleetwood on his 100 acre farm.

Sandy
05-15-08, 04:31 PM
But...I could not use it, it's far from me.
EVERYTHING is REALLY expensive here, because so so so many work in NYC and NYC wages are high, so they can command high prices for everything. The worst is rent, or selling prices of condos or homes.
2nd is Food Prices. Very High for good food - so so for lower levels
3rd is, of course gas and we are allready ShIvErIng thinking about home heating oil this coming winter !! !! !!
There are three classes of people in NJ.
The wealthy,
those just eeking by,
and those in forclosure, riding the bus, as their car was yanked.

AMGoff
05-17-08, 03:18 AM
Gee Sandy, if you need space, I'm sure Adam(Goff) would be more than willing to let you park the additional Fleetwood on his 100 acre farm.

Chad... lol, I just caught that! Not quite, more like 6... just enough to keep me away from the neighbors!

There are three classes of people in NJ.
The wealthy,
those just eeking by,
and those in forclosure, riding the bus, as their car was yanked.

Umm... You forgot the fourth one Sandy - those in South Jersey! Totally different way of living down in these parts... I still think they should've just split the damn state in two years ago.

If things are getting too expensive for you up there in the north, there's plenty of room (cheaper too) down here for ya!

soupero
05-17-08, 02:38 PM
He just bought a new daily driver... 590 ft/lbs of torque V12 biturbo hardtop convertible :cool2:
Mercedes SL 65 AMG?

Sandy
05-17-08, 04:24 PM
But all my friends are up here, AMGOFF, and all the places I go to. I'd be so lost down there, it wouldn't be funny.
Really.

AMGoff
05-18-08, 12:55 AM
But all my friends are up here, AMGOFF, and all the places I go to. I'd be so lost down there, it wouldn't be funny.
Really.

Ahh.. It's not so bad! If anything... such sentiments just help to highlight the stark differences between the two halves of the state.. You'd be lost down here while I'd go totally nuts up there.

I give you big kudos for being able to live up there... I could never do it!

I remember way back when during my freshman year of college, I dated a girl who went to Montclair and I used to drive up there all the time... I really couldn't stand it... far too many people, far too much traffic, not enough open space, and worst of all... everybody talked funny! Even today, we deal with some organizations based in the Montlair/Bloomfield area as well as the Elizabeth area... any time I go up there I get that same feeling - just this overwhelming sense of anxiety... and the Parkway... MY GOD the Parkway... it must be the most wretched stretch of pavement ever laid! Needless to say, I never breathe easy until I hit around Exit 8 or so going south on the TP.

Again, it just highlights the differences... You're used to all of the hustle and bustle, all of the people, all of the roads that are either 25-35mph or highways...

I guess it's just the sheer amount of people and all that comes with them that I find uncomfortable... not that I'm anti-social per se... it's just that I need my space. As I mentioned, we have about six acres, half of which are wooded... our closest neighbor is about a 1/3 of a mile away... it's all farms, woods, and marshland around here... I'm just used to open space and I get a little uncomfortable when I don't have it.

Not to mention the fact that my home county (Salem) is the least populated in the whole state with only about 67,000 people... compared to the most populated Bergen County which has about 900,000 people!

I guess I just love the thought of being so "far" out of the way while only being 45 mins from Philadelphia, 2 hours from NYC and 2-2.5 hours from the Baltimore/DC area. If nothing else, NNJ is a nice place to visit but I certainly couldn't live there!

AlBundy
05-18-08, 01:19 AM
Ahh.. It's not so bad! If anything... such sentiments just help to highlight the stark differences between the two halves of the state.. You'd be lost down here while I'd go totally nuts up there.

I give you big kudos for being able to live up there... I could never do it!

I remember way back when during my freshman year of college, I dated a girl who went to Montclair and I used to drive up there all the time... I really couldn't stand it... far too many people, far too much traffic, not enough open space, and worst of all... everybody talked funny! Even today, we deal with some organizations based in the Montlair/Bloomfield area as well as the Elizabeth area... any time I go up there I get that same feeling - just this overwhelming sense of anxiety... and the Parkway... MY GOD the Parkway... it must be the most wretched stretch of pavement ever laid! Needless to say, I never breathe easy until I hit around Exit 8 or so going south on the TP.

Again, it just highlights the differences... You're used to all of the hustle and bustle, all of the people, all of the roads that are either 25-35mph or highways...

I guess it's just the sheer amount of people and all that comes with them that I find uncomfortable... not that I'm anti-social per se... it's just that I need my space. As I mentioned, we have about six acres, half of which are wooded... our closest neighbor is about a 1/3 of a mile away... it's all farms, woods, and marshland around here... I'm just used to open space and I get a little uncomfortable when I don't have it.

Not to mention the fact that my home county (Salem) is the least populated in the whole state with only about 67,000 people... compared to the most populated Bergen County which has about 900,000 people!

I guess I just love the thought of being so "far" out of the way while only being 45 mins from Philadelphia, 2 hours from NYC and 2-2.5 hours from the Baltimore/DC area. If nothing else, NNJ is a nice place to visit but I certainly couldn't live there!

I guess if I showed up at your door, you'd have a heart attack.:histeric::sneaky:

AMGoff
05-18-08, 01:54 AM
I guess if I showed up at your door, you'd have a heart attack.:histeric::sneaky:

Why's that?

Like I said... I'm not anti-social, I just don't like the idea of having so many neighbors right up my rear end!

gary88
05-18-08, 02:12 AM
:crowded:
..^..
AMGoff

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-18-08, 01:25 PM
I agree with ya Adam, I like my space. I was in a residential area in downtown St. Paul last night and I remembered how much I'd hate to live right smack dab in the middle of a busy city...the traffic, the noise, the crime, the people, the crowdedness, the traffic, etc etc. Distant suburbs for me all the way!

DopeStar 156
05-18-08, 02:58 PM
I like my space.

http://www.myspace.com/chadmyer :thepan:

Sandy
05-19-08, 12:31 AM
AM I LAUGHING!! I LIVE IN BLOOMFIELD - ON THE MONTCLAIR BOUNDTY - NAIL HIT ON HEAD!!

But, I am used to it all. I am 6 feet from the houses on either side of me. But, it's all I've ever known, so it's all good for me. But everything costs so so so so much money !!!!

Sandy
05-19-08, 12:38 AM
Some of my neighbors
:badger::arghh::nana3::kissrock::youarewoman::domo ::domo::domo::crowded::crowded::crowded:

Night Wolf
05-19-08, 11:49 PM
man, I could never do that type of living.... heck I can't even do typical sub divsions.

Growing up, my moms house was on an acre, but we were surrounded by apple orchards.

In Clearwater, I lived in a big apartment complex, the sity type life was a big change for me... it was cool, but I woudln't want to live there.

I agree, I need my space as well. That was one of the requirements when looking at houses... everything was crammed in sub divsions, pretty much reguardless of price... when I was getting out to the 1acre+ lots I was getting 45mins+ from work... which I didn't want.

So I have my house now with just a tad over half an acre... sure it's not the best, but it's a quite dead end street. Once I clear the mini-forest, I'll actually get to enjoy the land too.

Tho someone moved in a nearby house, they have a big dog, they leave it out alot, and it barks all the time.... very annoying. Although my parents are on 10 acres, and they still hear a barking dog.... so I guess you can never really get away from it.

But, the sub divisons, where all the houses look the same, nearly are the same, jambed against each other..... not my thing at all...

AMGoff
05-21-08, 02:50 PM
As far as I'm concerned, subdivisions/housing developments occupy the third circle of hell... I can't stand them. They are THE biggest threat to South Jersey and they're creeping further and further south. For years, they seemed to be contained up in Camden and Gloucester Counties... but now they've reached the southern portions of Gloucester and are basically sitting on the doorstep of my county.

There's not all that much we can do about it... a lot of the farmers around here are getting old and their kids want nothing to do with it, so the one's who aren't under farmland protection are selling out. Luckily though, many of the townships around here have instituted a 2 acre minimum for any new construction and a few, including mine are considering bumping it up to a 3 acre minimum.. So at least that way, we won't be plagued with "cookie-cutter" homes.

It still sickens me though... It's all a bunch of people looking to get out of the cities and suburbs... but none of them freaking realize that they're just turning all this "country" into where they just came from.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-21-08, 02:57 PM
j1qnKJOhKHg