: OMG -- 3 days w/a rental Hyundai Sonata

hueterm
05-03-08, 12:24 AM
OMG -- the rant I left in the Eldo forum about having to replace the door panel on the ETC -- FORGOTTEN!

What an utterly miseable car for 80% of what I used it for. Appx. 6 hrs on not so smooth interstate = back and tail PAIN in said Hyundai.

The seats were ok except for the headrests that never did adjust right and the UTTER LACK of any lumbar.

However even more of an issue was that the ride was TERRIBLE on the highway. Every expansion joint in the road was a jar. It was like a constant hammer.

Driving around Dallas Metroplex was OK, it had OK power for a base 4 banger. It was homelier than Sadie Hawkins, but at least it had a decent stereo w/XM -- so I didn't have to drag out the windshield mount XM receiver.

The N* system's RSS is I guess akin to Russian Roulette -- but after the past 3 days of such a terrible riding car...probably worth it.

Jesda
05-03-08, 04:21 AM
Sure it wasn't an Elantra? Otherwise, it sounds like your typical Camcordabu when compared to any large Cadillac.

hueterm
05-03-08, 10:11 AM
No, it was a Sonata. Maybe the higher trim levels would be better, but the econoversion was lacking. Of course, I really have no idea how much these cost. Probably as much as a Civic or a Corolla, which is a much smaller car -- so it might be worth it then.

It was surprisingly spacious though. W/the seat all the way back, my arms were fully extended to reach the wheel, and I couldn't reach the firewall. And with the seats all the way back, the back seat was actually useable. If the fronts were moved up some, the back had plenty of room (for 4 -- 5 would be a joke...).

Florian
05-03-08, 11:26 AM
hyundai = pos.

F

LS1Mike
05-03-08, 06:06 PM
I don't caer for Hyundai, but most rental cars are usually poop.
We had a rental Maxima, last time we were in HI. It rattled and was just plain cheap feeling.
I know they are better than that though. Car had 18,000 miles on it. In rental car speak that is like 150,000.

Jesda
05-03-08, 09:16 PM
The rental cars I've had have always been pretty nice, in particular a 2007 DTS from Enterprise and a Mazda 6 from Hertz. The only disappointment was a PT Cruiser from Enterprise that drove fine but smelled awful. They swapped it for a Kia Optima which was bland but smooth and quiet.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-04-08, 12:25 AM
How much was that DTS per day?

Jesda
05-04-08, 09:39 PM
How much was that DTS per day?

It was a weekend special. About $200 from Enterprise.

caddycruiser
05-04-08, 10:03 PM
I'm thinking of picking up an Enterprise special for an upcoming weekend roadtrip (just thought of it today). Being 22, I'm "limited" to a max choice of full-size...but no problemo there.

For all of December that I had a rental, it was an "Intermediate" which--by the website--I expected to be a Cobalt or Focus. Only to get there and have her say "the Malibu is yours" and I got an '07 Malibu that I loved and that set on a whole course of events afterwards...

With the 50% off weekends, I can do a Friday to Monday full-size rental for $105 total ($10 per day for being 21-24). The difference to go down a class or two is literally only a few bucks, so why not. Then again...if last time their Intermediate was a Premium (I think), I wonder what a full-size would be. The site says Impala/Altima...probably a Lucerne or base 300 (either would be fine), with the office near home. Or maybe really an Impala. No biggie.

The only thing that can be iffy is the no guarantee factor, regardless of if you book before. I don't mind that with a car, but I just booked a cargo van in 2 weeks to move out of my apartment...and there's really no substitute in that case. Hope there's no issue.

caddycruiser
05-04-08, 10:09 PM
Oh...and a funny Enterprise story.

I had the '07 Malibu 4-cyl for a month while my Fleetwood was having its passenger side completely rebuilt (thanks to a lady in a Subie Outback). I really enjoyed having a new, zippy, solid car, and getting more than double the gas mileage.

Then when I returned it, the office guy (office is connected to the body shop) had been chatting with the shop manager who was also waiting for me, and said "I bet you're glad to get out of that and back to the Cadillac!" I said "Hmm, not really..." and chuckled, and shocked him a bit. Probably a rare reaction for them, especially having seen the beast. Kind of threw the shop manager for a whirl too after they just spent a month perfecting my 13 year old beast, even after being insurance screwed. Oh well...I did still appreciate it, and am impressed.

And what else? I kept the Malibu as spotless and detailed as my own car, and had freshly detailed it the day before turning it in. I told them this, and they went "REALLY? Wow, thank you so much." They're used to things coming back disgusting...and actually never do ANY more than run the cars out back to a hose, and let them air dry. Talk about huge, nasty, water spots. So, I was more than happy to ablige.

For me, unlike others, rentals don't = donuts in the lawn, going in reverse, I guess;)

Stewthebassman
05-05-08, 11:38 PM
I had a rental Sonata a while back....it was smooth and sort of comfortable...the "manual" mode for the At was quite good. Overall the car was competent....no more than that. But that is all some people want!!

And Caddycruiser....you are priceless....detailing a rental! They must have loved you!

Benzilla
05-06-08, 01:48 AM
lol, when I went to Detroit back in '06 I detailed the new Impala I rented. I actually ended up loving that car. No Cadillac, but it was pretty comfortable, and had good power. Just nice for what it was.

Ben

caddycruiser
05-07-08, 03:26 PM
And Caddycruiser....you are priceless....detailing a rental! They must have loved you!

Yes, they did! "Oh, thank you!"

Here was the day I picked it up, after running back up to PA before our Thanksgiving trek:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Fleetwood%20Accident%20Oct%2010%202007/Rental%20Car/IMG_0078small.jpg

And here was the day in December I turned it back in. Amazing what a very quick wash and tire shine can do to a car...even one that's a neglected rental that otherwise gets hose & air dry jobs:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Fleetwood%20Accident%20Oct%2010%202007/Rental%20Car/IMG_0083.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/Fleetwood%20Accident%20Oct%2010%202007/Rental%20Car/IMG_0087.jpg

I'm possibly planning another rental for a road trip...and still trying to figure out what to get. Hmm...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-07-08, 03:35 PM
Oh, you had the "old" Malibu...

blunted
05-07-08, 03:55 PM
Man I got one that blows the Sonata out the water.. in a very bad way. I've been working out some issues with my 05 STS this past month and the caddy dealership I deal with uses Enterprise for all their loaners. So the first time I get a Trailblazer (ok), second time a DTS (woohoo), third time a Malibu (ehhh).. now this fourth a most recent time they happen to be out of cars and the only thing they had for me was... a Chevy AVEO (insert multiple profanitys). I'm not the type to bitch and moan about the rental I get but this is one car you dont wanna be seen in. Since I had to get back to work I took it and went on my way.. well where do I start.. to move the side mirrors you had a a stick that looked like it got ripped out of an arcade, it rattled at stop lights and had no pickup to the point it was almost dangerous to merge with. All in all it was the biggest POS I have ever in my life driven. Had they offered me a late 80's honda I woulda been more than happy to swap. I ended up calling my service advisor the next day and when I told him what they gave me his response was "They gave you the AVEO?? Oh damn thats not right.." calls up Enterprise while I'm on the phone and goes "hey you guys gave my customer an Aveo.. he's telling me he farted and the thing changed lanes.. switch his car out now" LOL

Oh yea.. here's a pic of this egg shaped horror.
http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/2008/Chevrolet/2008.chevrolet.aveo.20120310-396x249.jpg

caddycruiser
05-07-08, 04:06 PM
Oh, you had the "old" Malibu...

Yes...but it was my experience with this car that led DIRECTLY to buying mom her "new" loaded '08 Malibu less than a month afterwards. This wasn't the first time something like this happened, as actually, when her 300M was slam-dangled and being rebuilt, she had a new '02 LeSabre for a month. Bland, boring, etc. but she LOVED everything about that car so much, she started shopping for one to trade the 300M in on immediately.

Didn't, of course, but still jokes about that when she sees a LeSabre..."Nice car, but jeez, can't believe I almost bought one." On the contrary, with the Malibu, she's a fanatic, and loves it to pieces. Plus, hers is well above typical rental grade...but really, it was my constant raving about that frumpy turd of an old one that made her buy the new one.

Rentals, when good, have a way of doing that...despite the bad image of base model cars and fleet sales.

caddycruiser
05-07-08, 04:09 PM
Oh, and I JUST booked a full-size for a 4-day weekend road trip. I'm still in PA between the end of school and graduation, but thinking of heading west to see family & such while I can.

Anyway, I called the office, wanting to see if they could give me specifics. Driving by today, they had next to nothing except for a van and a small car, but I wanted to see--especially since, at home, my "Intermediate" was a step up or two from what they said.

Know what the desk girl told me? "A full-size would be like a Taurus or Intrepid." I pressed, wanting specifics, saying "Well, if I rented right now...what specifically would it be?" "It could vary, but those are the general guidelines."

So...no help. I could end up with anything from a Galant to an Impala to a Maxima. We'll see. I'd love if it ended up being something like a Lucerne CXL...or a new Taurus. And curious to try out a CVT Maxima, too. But not too hot on the idea of an Impala or various other things.

hueterm
05-07-08, 04:11 PM
Yes, the nearest Caddy dealer to me stuck me with a Hertz Aveo when my EXT was getting warranty repair.

That was the biggest piece of useless crap I've ever driven. It sat in my driveway for 3 days and I drove the Concours...

caddycruiser
05-07-08, 04:26 PM
Yes, the nearest Caddy dealer to me stuck me with a Hertz Aveo when my EXT was getting warranty repair.

That was the biggest piece of useless crap I've ever driven. It sat in my driveway for 3 days and I drove the Concours...

Seems it's a popular rental...obviously so, because it's the entry level choice. Oddly enough, I've yet to be at an Enterprise that actually had anything below a Focus/Cobalt, but I do see plenty of Aveo's with e's on the back running around.

Not a bad car, just a small economy model, and a shock if you're not used to that.

jonnyd
05-07-08, 04:28 PM
ok check this.....from a light do a 3rd gear pull....count to 20 seconds and keep waiting till you hit 60 mph =P

caddycruiser
05-07-08, 04:30 PM
ok check this.....from a light do a 3rd gear pull....count to 20 seconds and keep waiting till you hit 60 mph =P

What?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-07-08, 04:44 PM
We use Aveos because the customer is always happy to get their car back when it's done.

caddycruiser
05-07-08, 05:47 PM
We use Aveos because the customer is always happy to get their car back when it's done.

Hah! I like that theory:cool2:

caddycruiser
05-07-08, 05:53 PM
Roadtrip...here I come!

Booked a full-size and they're picking me up at 2pm tomorrow. Odd time, but that was how I "figured it" so I had the car early Friday morning, will hit the road, and be in Punxsutawney (oh...the joy of western PA) by lunchtime Friday. Then back on Monday, to Philly.

I just ran by the office to see, and right now they just got a new black pearl base '08 Chrysler 300...that would be very nice. Not stellar, but I've never driven an LX car. And still a bare lot otherwise. We'll see. Booking my pick-up, a new girl gave me another "by the book" response.

Me: So with this reservation, any specifics on the car?
Her: No, we just guarantee that we'll have something. Could be anything from a Grand Prix (ok...) to a Focus (HUH?...I think she stumbled) to an Altima (ok...)
Me: Okay then. I booked a full-size, so hopefully that turns out. See you tomorrow.

We shall see. I think the Focus was a slip up...but they sure are persistent with Altima, even if there aren't any. Chrysler 300? That could work...

I'm hoping for:
-Chrysler 300
-Buick Lucerne
-Nissan Maxima...or Altima
-Chevy Malibu...they've NEVER had any of these, and I got one as an Intermediate before, but you never know...
-Or?

We'll see...and the Fleetwood will remain safely in its garage here.

Jesda
05-07-08, 06:11 PM
Rental car classes are so ridiculous. Its amazing what they'll try to claim as full size sometimes. I try to ask for a specific car or there's no dice. Of course, thats harder to do with airport locations.

caddycruiser
05-07-08, 06:21 PM
Rental car classes are so ridiculous. Its amazing what they'll try to claim as full size sometimes. I try to ask for a specific car or there's no dice. Of course, thats harder to do with airport locations.

Exactly. That's what I wanted to do now, request--at least--that Chrysler.

But we'll see. If it's something truly ridiculous, I'll work what I can to change.

For anyone who has rented an Enterprise full-size before...what'd you end up with?

caddycruiser
05-07-08, 06:25 PM
Hey...even keeping on topic...a Hyundai Sonata is probably full-size by some office's standards. Never know.

blunted
05-07-08, 06:38 PM

SOOO damn true.. I almost kissed the STS's steering wheel when I got it back, I also may have whispered "please.. never leave me again". :shhh:

hueterm
05-07-08, 07:05 PM
It was full size for Avis (the Sonata). I wouldn't mind one for in town, but 5-6 hr drive one way on a bad Interstate was a bit much...

I've sworn off that Cadillac dealer that gave me the Aveo to drive 40 miles home in w/F350 duallys screaming past me on the highway. The Chevrolet dealer I use has now received "special dispensation" from "the seat of the holy GM" to fix my EXT under warranty now...

caddycruiser
05-07-08, 07:58 PM
It was full size for Avis (the Sonata). I wouldn't mind one for in town, but 5-6 hr drive one way on a bad Interstate was a bit much...

I've sworn off that Cadillac dealer that gave me the Aveo to drive 40 miles home in w/F350 duallys screaming past me on the highway. The Chevrolet dealer I use has now received "special dispensation" from "the seat of the holy GM" to fix my EXT under warranty now...

Interesting, in both ways. Especially how a Sonata = full-size, which it does. Odd rental classifications, I say, like Jesda.

Waiting to find out what my surprise is tomorrow...

Jesda
05-07-08, 08:05 PM
Be sure when you request a specific car to write down the person's name that you spoke to. When I reserved my DTS with Enterprise they didn't have it when I showed up later in the day. Apparently the guy who took my call was from another branch and failed to record my reservation.

I ended up waiting a couple hours for them to bring a DTS over from a dealer, have it detailed, inspected, and top off the tank. They were friendly about their mistake though and I ended up having the car for an extra couple hours, which was great because I took my time coming home. They also dropped me off at my apartment which was about 5 miles away and outside their normal pickup zone.

caddycruiser
05-07-08, 08:56 PM
Be sure when you request a specific car to write down the person's name that you spoke to. When I reserved my DTS with Enterprise they didn't have it when I showed up later in the day. Apparently the guy who took my call was from another branch and failed to record my reservation.

I ended up waiting a couple hours for them to bring a DTS over from a dealer, have it detailed, inspected, and top off the tank. They were friendly about their mistake though and I ended up having the car for an extra couple hours, which was great because I took my time coming home. They also dropped me off at my apartment which was about 5 miles away and outside their normal pickup zone.

I should have done that today, with the pamphlet reciting office people. But alas.

I just took a stroll, and now they're down to a Grand Prix, an Edge, and a new Tundra parked in front of the wash bay. Things seem to change pretty quickly, so I'm still hoping for something good. If it isn't, I guess I can always request a change or even another office.

Not that I'd rent higher...but it still stinks to be max'd at a full-size for 21-24 year olds. Makes sense, and at least Enterprise ONLY charges $10 extra a day due to age (compared to others at $25+, which is nuts).

caddycruiser
05-07-08, 09:09 PM
Hertz is even closer...literally at the intersection of my apartment complex entrance. And they have a nice black G6 GT (and before an '08 Malibu, etc.). Pricing isn't bad either...except for that darn $25 a day age fee. Too bad for that, or that there isn't a way around it, because I'd go with them if possible.

Stewthebassman
05-07-08, 09:52 PM
I just ran by the office to see, and right now they just got a new black pearl base '08 Chrysler 300...that would be very nice. Not stellar, but I've never driven an LX car. And still a bare lot otherwise. We'll see. Booking my pick-up, a new girl gave me another "by the book" response.

300 FTW!!!

LX cars are excellent.....smooth powerful ride, great suspension, surprising handling....hope you get the 5-speed with the 3.5l engine!!!

ps I drive a Magnum!

caddycruiser
05-07-08, 10:10 PM
300 FTW!!!

LX cars are excellent.....smooth powerful ride, great suspension, surprising handling....hope you get the 5-speed with the 3.5l engine!!!

ps I drive a Magnum!

I wish. The car that was there was a typical '08 300 LX with the 2.7L...but then that disappeared. Something like it would still be perfect, especially in size, because I need comfort for my long drive...and space for all my crap. Hey! If only they had a Magnum...

If it's really something stinky, I guess I could complain or get out of it somehow, and there are other offices locally which I might call in the morning to see if any of them can give a firm answer on what they'd give me.

Otherwise, when I'm out running morning errands, I'll see what has appeared again. And I'm also playing with the Hertz site right now to maybe make that an option...if they could match an Enterprise deal, that would be GREAT.

caddycruiser
05-08-08, 02:03 AM
Anyone done Hertz much? My only experience has ever been with Enterprise, but I'm tempted.

The sticking point is price. An Enterprise full-size for Thursday-Monday is $183 with their $10 a day age fee. For Hertz, a Malibu/G6 type for the same time would be $213...the car itself is priced a bit better, but their age fee is insane at $27 a day.

As Hertz is so close and I know they tend to have a bit nicer of cars, I would go with them IF I could get them to drop the price a bit. Thinking of trying an "I've always gone with Enterprise but if you can match their $xx I'll go with you" in the morning. Wonder if they'll bite...or just laugh.

Jesda
05-08-08, 05:50 AM
Theres LOTS of room to negotiate with rental car companies. I got Budget to upgrade us to a large car (Galant) for free and put my under-25 friend on the rental agreement without being charged extra per day. On top of that, Budget allowed us to put 4000 miles on the car taking it across the country! I was tempted to get the oil changed before turning it in.

caddycruiser
05-08-08, 02:25 PM
Solved my issue...just canceled the trip altogether. Too many things going on. OH well, someday there will be a genuine roadtrip.

I didn't cancel Enterprise until 12:30 (was to be picked up at 2pm) and at this time they actually only had an Edge and a Tundra, so I wondered wtf they would have given me. Called to cancel the pick-up, and got "Oh...okay."

The next rental coming up is for an Enterprise cargo van in a week and a half to move out of my apartment...just hoping there's no availability issues, as you can't really substitute for a cargo van. Yet they guarantee nothing, so luck of the draw.

Stewthebassman
05-08-08, 04:13 PM
The Edge might have been interesting..........or the Tundra.....anyway, you saved money, that is best!

caddycruiser
05-08-08, 07:24 PM
The Edge might have been interesting..........or the Tundra.....anyway, you saved money, that is best!

Yeah, if only my fun roadtrip plans didn't ALWAYS get squashed...

I drove by Hertz this afternoon, and they had a nice selection--including a new '08 Malibu (love it...as we own one). I'm heading home for a few days, and debated calling them right up and taking that car...but didn't. I had some 8.5ft boards and other things to haul, which fit in my Fleetwood, but I wasn't sure with the Malibu...though the folding rear seats probably would have solved that.

caddycruiser
05-16-08, 01:28 AM
To bring this back up again...time for another rental. This time, just for the hell of it.

It's graduation weekend and I'll be doing a lot of running around, etc. with different people, and got the rental car itch again. Just booked one with Hertz (this will be my first) because it's so close, and the price was right after I Google'd some current promo codes (ALWAYS great).

They go:
-Hyundai Accent or similar
-Ford Focus or similar
-Mazda 6 or similar
-Chevy Malibu or similar
-Chevy Impala or similar

I booked the Malibu or similar, but the next step up is only $2. I ran by a few minutes ago and right now on the lot they have a black G6 (I assume which is the "similar" to a Malibu), a Focus, an Equinox, and a new Accord LX (full-size?). The Accord is probably a step up, and I wonder if I might like to try that for a weekend vs. a G6...hmm. Walking the few hundred yards to the office at 8am.

So...G6 or Accord. Tis is the question.

hueterm
05-16-08, 05:56 PM
Accord