: Wheels chattering... Need help

dbarnard67
05-02-08, 04:23 PM
OK everyone, has posted a few times and really needing some help on this. I have a 2002 Escalade AWD. Power steering fluid is fine, diff fluid just changed with syn, new wheel hubs, new rotors, new brake pads. Here is the problem, after I have driven for about 15 to 20 minutes and I go to turn into the parking lot at low speeds, the tires seem to chatter or hop. I have finally broke down and went to 3 different shops and all have a different idea. I don't want to pay their labor prices so posting it here for some help. One says it sounds like the front Differential. One says it is the transfer case fluid needing changed. And another one says that I have some power steering fluid leaking and after it has been ran to heat up there isn't enough there to handle the tight turn. Has anyone else had this and if so what resolved yours? And... anyone have any ideas to help me out.

cadillacroadside
05-02-08, 04:41 PM
does it feel like you are in 4wheel drive on dry pavement, if so there is a bulletin for changing transfer fluid, and to inspect the viscous clutch in the transfer case either of the two will do that. does it feel as if its in the steering??? if that is the case a steering pressure test is in order, if your fluid is leaking, fill it up to proper and try to get the condition (it cant be leaking that fast) the front diff theory could also be in play BUT normally on diff failure you would hear the condition while driving down the road

dbarnard67
05-02-08, 04:52 PM
Yes it does fill like the old 4WD on dry pavement thing. I don't notice much when I drive but when I am at low speeds and start the turn. It is funny because it sort of feels like a steering issue but the steering doesn't have any play or hard to turn. Only the chatter of the tires and a low groan.

cadillacroadside
05-02-08, 04:57 PM
my first step would be to change to tranfer case fluid, if that doesnt work it could be the viscous clutch in the transfer case, any reputable trans shop can make that repair if you dont want to pay dealer price

dbarnard67
05-02-08, 05:00 PM
thanks for the input. Not wanting to sound to dumb on this but what type of fluid should I use in the transfer case. Don't believe I have changed that before.

cadillacroadside
05-02-08, 05:34 PM
its manual trans fluid, gm has a product called autotrac

dbarnard67
05-02-08, 05:39 PM
Thanks.