: radiator hose sucking itself in after car cools off

RickyHenry
05-02-08, 03:26 AM
2. The upper large radiator hose appears to be depressing after the car is returned to normal room temperature. Dunno if that is normal as it never happened prior to replacing the head gaskets in the car. I can let the car sit all night and come out the next morning and the hose is still compressed together (guess it tells me there isn't a water leak). Basically, when the car is warmed up, the hose is filled with water and is expanded fully. When I turn off the car and wait til it cools down, the hose is flat, like a snake run over on the road (but without all the road kill guts). Also, when the car is cold now, I have to really work off the coolant fill cap as the pressure is sucking the cap into place.

Since I got the car march of 2007, this didn't happen. But at the same time, I maybe didn't see it as I've had a cooling leak problem since I got the car. Looks like the HG repair fixed this issue though. Any thoughts on this pressurizing would be greatly appreciated.... THANKS!

ewill3rd
05-02-08, 06:36 AM
Replace the cooling system cap. The valve in it is broken. When the coolant sheds its heat after shutdown the coolant is contracting but no air is being drawn back in to equalize the pressure.
It happens from time to time.
Cheap, quick, easy.

Submariner409
05-02-08, 07:29 AM
^^^^^ Been there, done that. New cap.

RickyHenry
05-02-08, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the response! I'll get a new cap today and let you know how it turns out.