: upper trans oil cooler hose leaking

RickyHenry
05-02-08, 04:21 AM
1. The upper trans oil cooler line is leaking where it's connected to the radiator... and it's not coming through the threads in the connection, it's coming through behind the connection where the actual metal tube of the line meets the connection/(bolt of sorts). The line was loose before I replaced my head gaskets but it wasn't leaking. Any idea why this would have a slow steady leak of tranny fluid?

Submariner409
05-02-08, 08:43 AM
Is this the type of fitting which uses an O-ring and snap retainer ? Maybe bad O-ring, or, if it's a flare connection maybe a chip in the flare.

RickyHenry
05-02-08, 04:00 PM
Is this the type of fitting which uses an O-ring and snap retainer ? Maybe bad O-ring, or, if it's a flare connection maybe a chip in the flare.

YES, I bought a couple of o-rings from the caddy dealer here. I put them on the inside of the connection, but that did nothing as the leak was coming from where the hose connects to the end nut. I did notice there is some type of seal that goes over the end of the hose after you plug it into the radiator, and this must be the flare you are talking of. I will visually inspect the flare again and see what I come up with tonight regarding some type of chipping. if that is the case, i would imagine there would be no way to put just a new flare on.

What do you think about using JB Weld on that hose?

Submariner409
05-02-08, 04:34 PM
I've never been a fan of temporary patches or sticking things together with glues. .....also, once the fitting has become oil wetted, your chances of getting something to stick are slim and none. There has to be an easy, correct fix.

RickyHenry
05-02-08, 04:41 PM
http://www.fmsiinc.com/images/4220.jpg

RickyHenry
05-02-08, 04:41 PM
This is the connection. It's leaking at the top of this connection, where the hose goes inside.... you can't see the hose in the picture though.

Submariner409
05-02-08, 04:45 PM
Ah so !!!! That's a quick connect, similar to the STS oil cooler line fitting. The manual says to replace the fitting itself if the hose is pulled. Dealer, not expensive. Maybe even find them (2) at a NAPA or hydraulic repair shop. The hose should snap all the way in.....that little circlip holds it all together.

91parkave
05-02-08, 04:56 PM
you could always try RTV around the flare and tighten it up again.

RickyHenry
05-02-08, 06:25 PM
dealer is 7 business days away from getting this connection... that would be like 2 mondays from now. I'll drop into Napa tonight to see what i can come up with. I just purchased some JB Weld at Kragen Auto parts, i'm gonna try that out if I can't find a new fitting tonight.

Submariner409
05-03-08, 11:15 AM
91park.........There is no flare. Both the outer fitting thread and the hydraulic hose tip are sealed by O-rings. Take a hard look at the base of the outer threads on his fitting.

Ricky, Is there a Caterpillar or John Deere dealer near you? How about a commercial/industrial hydraulic dealer ? How about a shop which repairs farm equipment: those fittings are not specific to the Northstar........

You slap some JB weld on there and you just might be in the radiator tank business when you try to get it apart to install a new fitting........My .02

Ranger
05-03-08, 12:05 PM
I agree with Sub. That's not the place for JB Weld.

RickyHenry
05-03-08, 01:21 PM
too late, i put jb weld on, the leak is gone. I didn't place the jb weld on the portion that connects to the radiator, just on the outer hose. I'm going to order a new line anyway, so the next time i'm taking it off, i'll be cutting the metal portion of the hose.

Shawney1986
02-16-12, 05:49 PM

im a few years late but sub i have the same problem but with that oring and snap retainer piece! where do i find these at and do they actually come as one piece together?!... really need to know!

00 Deville
02-16-12, 07:09 PM
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/0005056K04-034.JPG

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=387409&ukey_make=1023&ukey_model=14465&modelYear=2002&ukey_category=19405&ukey_driveLine=0&ukey_TrimLevel=0&ukey_modelRange=0&searchString=