: Corvette Owners - oil change

ahahnu
05-01-08, 04:34 PM
Yesterday my girlfriend's dad told me he took his Vette to have the oil changed. He said he has to bring the oil - local place doesn't stock synthetic and usually he just stays in the car as they work in the pit underneath. I kinda made fun of him and told him I change the oil in the V, why can't he do it? He proceeded to tell me that there is no where to put the jack, or you need ramps. Now that I think of it I kinda remember hearing the Vette has no frame. Is that true or can one of you help a brother out so I can look good to the guy who let's me...... Well you know. It always helps to be on the father's good side. Thanks.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-01-08, 04:44 PM
We can hoist them, but we need to put special pads on the hoist arms so it doesn't bend the lower moldings on
the side of the car.

What does his place charge for the LOF on the Vette?

MauiV
05-01-08, 04:50 PM
You just need some sturdy ramps like they use on a carry trailer and a ditch to pull it over. Ive seen it done more than once.

nikon
05-01-08, 05:07 PM
http://www.z06vette.com/diy_lift.php

or just some jacking pucks.

Highline Cady
05-01-08, 10:03 PM
You can just use wood blocks also when hoisted, that's how I do mine, but most Vette owners get nervous, pucks are the best idea for those types, they do look much more professional. You have to let them drain forever because of the baffles in the oil pans. So GM says on the 'puter. That's my .02.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-01-08, 11:55 PM
I have come to learn that any sports car or muscle car that sits low to the ground is a PITA to work on. With my friend's Camaro, we have to use a tiny bottle jack to get the car up high enough to get the real floor jack underneath. Takes well over an hour just to change the oil that way.

ahahnu
05-02-08, 03:29 PM
I think they banged him over the head like $75. I personally don't know if my jack would fit. I just use ice hockey pucks for the V.