: For those w B&B EXHAUST....

BigAndyZV
05-01-08, 04:33 PM
After reading the bulletin about GM voiding the powertrain warranty for aftermarket tunes I am trying to make a deciison and would like your input. I have B&B X pipe, and B&B headers, no cats, obviously.

I have 2 choices:
1. I believe B&B can actually sell you high flow cats as add ons? Does anyone have these and if so does it still make your CEL (emission) light up? Or do the cats prevent the warning signal from coming on? If so I will probably go that route, no tune, and get my state inspection (TX) cleared that way.

2. otherwise my only option would be to get a tune to turn off the CEL light, and then pass isnpection that way, but of course voiding the powertrain warranty (possibly) when they catch it.

Your input is appreciated. Thanks guys!

CTSV_Rob
05-01-08, 04:45 PM
I have the high flow cats on mine and it still threw codes. I disabled it in my tune but you do have another option. They sell O2 simulators so you can "fool" the computer into thinking the cats are OK.

O2 extender, Not sure if this works but maybe (link):
http://www.inlinefour.com/blcelelad.html

O2 simulator (link):
http://www.o2simulator.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10&zenid=1b61e5d16f117b29ce4fd22a6c0347ca

heavymetals
05-01-08, 05:18 PM
Have the cats on mine with the resonator.

Had the rear 02's turned off.

Had Stealth tune it.

As far as voiding the warranty, if I was that concerned about it I wouldn't have modded the car.

urbanski
05-01-08, 06:53 PM
even with BB hi flo cats my CEL never came on....removing them necessitated a tune w/ the rears off. hopefully you can pass the sniffer then remove them again :devil:

RGRATTAN
05-01-08, 07:23 PM
It depends on how sensitive your stock O2's are, they are voltage driven IE they output a voltage signal to your ECM. What you can do is the same thing the Mustang crowd does and install some sort of voltage reducer inline before the ECU on the rear O2's ex: http://www.brothersperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1310 these worked well on the stangs with OBD2 I am almost sure that they would work on a GM platform as well.

Does anyone know what voltage the ECU sees on these sensors? I would think that it's is the same as stangs which is 0-5 Volts. All the inline connectors do on the above link is cut voltage since the ECU won't throw a code unless it sees a relatively high voltage.

Hope that helps....

GMBOUND
05-01-08, 10:43 PM
After reading the bulletin about GM voiding the powertrain warranty for aftermarket tunes I am trying to make a deciison and would like your input. I have B&B X pipe, and B&B headers, no cats, obviously.

I have 2 choices:
1. I believe B&B can actually sell you high flow cats as add ons? Does anyone have these and if so does it still make your CEL (emission) light up? Or do the cats prevent the warning signal from coming on? If so I will probably go that route, no tune, and get my state inspection (TX) cleared that way.

2. otherwise my only option would be to get a tune to turn off the CEL light, and then pass isnpection that way, but of course voiding the powertrain warranty (possibly) when they catch it.

Your input is appreciated. Thanks guys!

This is what you do....
Immediately remove the B&B headers, set them aside, I'll make a trip down to Texas and remove them for free.:D:yup:
Being the caring forum member that I am, I would hate to see you loose your warranty:canttalk::thehand: I'm obliged to take them off your hands at no fee to you:D

bossplayer
05-01-08, 10:49 PM
This is what you do....
Immediately remove the B&B headers, set them aside, I'll make a trip down to Texas and remove them for free.:D:yup:
Being the caring forum member that I am, I would hate to see you loose your warranty:canttalk::thehand: I'm obliged to take them off your hands at no fee to you:D

Feeling frisky tonight, aren't we GM? :bouncy:

GMBOUND
05-01-08, 11:04 PM
Feeling frisky tonight, aren't we GM? :bouncy:

Of course, I was getting very excited as I clicked on this thread. I just knew he was going to selling a pair of B&B Headers:cloud9: This was a big let down.
These used unmodified B&B headers are hard to come by. Still waiting on CTSV-Rob

CTSV_Rob
05-02-08, 03:01 AM
Your going to need to pry them from my cold dead fingers. :D

BigAndyZV
05-02-08, 12:19 PM
Thanks for all the help fellas!! I will probably just say F&*K it and get the tune! And pray to god nothing huge snaps lol. I love the b&B exhaust and headers! LOVE IT!

v10boost
05-02-08, 12:40 PM
Hey guys,

I have almost brand new B&B sports cat back for sale. It is ready to bolt up to kooks headers. It is in classifieds but asking 750+shipping.

RGRATTAN
05-02-08, 04:35 PM
Andy, don't tune the thing man at least I wouldn't...
Doesn't some one have a shop manual with a wiring diagram?
Go to radio shack or some equivalent and get a resistor to cut the voltage by 1/2 or 1/4 then worst case just splice it in-line with the two rear O2 signal wires. It can't hurt to try and it really should only be an hour worth of work.
If some one can get a shop manual of some sort and tell us what wire is the signal wire for the rear O2's that will expedite the process. Or turn the KEY ON IGNITION OFF and get a multi-meter ground it on the frame and look for the wire with a signal I know a Mustang will show about 1 volt with K-ON-IG_oFF.

I know I'm beating this to death but this is a problem that Iíve seen 100 times on Stangs... Oh and sorry i keep mentioning the S word.

AlmostAV
05-02-08, 07:27 PM
he still wont be running the proper a/f ratio.....

Vee
05-03-08, 10:53 AM
I have the high flow cats on mine and it still threw codes. I disabled it in my tune but you do have another option. They sell O2 simulators so you can "fool" the computer into thinking the cats are OK.

O2 extender, Not sure if this works but maybe (link):
http://www.inlinefour.com/blcelelad.html

O2 simulator (link):
http://www.o2simulator.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10&zenid=1b61e5d16f117b29ce4fd22a6c0347ca

Careful of those 02 simulators...Someone in the Buick Grand National community got in trouble with the feds for those...

http://thechromepony.com/News-07-10-07.html

CTSV_Rob
05-03-08, 04:16 PM
Jail time without the possibilty of parol?
Death row?

If your smart about it how will the Fed's find out?

PISNUOFF
05-03-08, 06:22 PM
If you simply lower the voltage, won't the pcm still throw a code for insufficient O2 switching?

lunarx
05-03-08, 09:48 PM
You need a tune if you have headers.

Buy a 2nd ECU and get it tuned.
Switch back to the stock ECU (and Exhaust Manifolds), if you need to visit the dealer.

RGRATTAN
05-06-08, 07:00 PM
If you simply lower the voltage, won't the pcm still throw a code for insufficient O2 switching?

I don't think you'll throw a code since the rear O2's are there only to verify the existence or function of the Cats (I think). The front O2's are responsible for the AF adjustments.

If the rear O2's were part of the AF acquisition you would figure that after the cats the AF ratio would be all screwed up anyways...

RGRATTAN
05-06-08, 07:17 PM
Careful of those 02 simulators...Someone in the Buick Grand National community got in trouble with the feds for those...

http://thechromepony.com/News-07-10-07.html

Actually Vee that was the Mustang guys and where those guys messed up was they should have put a statement on the product saying (For Off-Road Use only). That is what the all the exhaust manufacturers for off-road pipes have been doing for years for us CA guys. Here in California the enviro Nazis are in full effect and you can get a couple thousand dollar ticket for removing your smog equipment. Ridicules... I really doubt anyone in a CTS-V just driving around (Not Street Racing) would EVER get messed with for not having cats on the street. I used to get pulled over ALL the time in my younger years in CA doing dumb shit in a LOUD ass car w/no smog equip and not once did a Man of the Law look under my car for cats. If I was driving a Honda or import look out but not in an American Pushrod-Gearbox machine.