: How Much Coolant?!?!

racinrod67
05-01-08, 04:19 PM
I am in the process of draining the coolant in my 1996 N* Seville STS. Manual states 12.3 quart capacity, how much can I expect to drain out of the radiator? I have removed the lower rad hose to install cooling system tabs and pulled the thermostat, but only another quart came out. All in all, figuring in some spillage, I have approximately drained 9 of the 12 quarts. Should the recovery tank be removed or is there another drain plug somewhere on the engine block or is this all the coolant you can normally drain out???

Submariner409
05-01-08, 05:25 PM
Based on my '02 manual and posts over the last 2 1/2 years, if you got just over 2 gallons out, that's it. The manual clearly states that about 3 quarts (their liter interpretation is wrong) remains in the block and other passages. Refill with as much of the volume as possible, run the car, allow to cool and bring the coolant up to around halfway in the tank. Check it in a day or so......

Ranger
05-01-08, 05:31 PM
The drain is under the radiator on the left (drivers) side.

racinrod67
05-01-08, 08:30 PM
The drain is under the radiator on the left (drivers) side.That's where I drained the system from. I actually used a mini air grinder with a cut-off wheel to open up a small rectangular access hole to the drain and the petcock. There were already two small diameter holes in the core support but neither one lined up with the drain, couldn't even fit a small piece of tubing on it to direct the flow. I knew as soon as I opened the petcock the coolant would run along the bottom of the core support and drip at every opening from wheel to wheel. Decided to take a little extra time to make the next go around much easier and cleaner!

racinrod67
05-01-08, 08:33 PM
Based on my '02 manual and posts over the last 2 1/2 years, if you got just over 2 gallons out, that's it. The manual clearly states that about 3 quarts (their liter interpretation is wrong) remains in the block and other passages. Refill with as much of the volume as possible, run the car, allow to cool and bring the coolant up to around halfway in the tank. Check it in a day or so......Thanks for the info Sub. Too late today I'll finish tomorrow.

racinrod67
05-02-08, 01:18 PM
Now that I'm finished with the coolant change job and started filling my jugs up with the used Dexcool, it turns out that there is just shy of 2 gallons that came out of the system. I have also attached a picture of the aluminum pieces left in my drain pan, they are similar to size and shape of small grinding burrs. Is this normal?

Submariner409
05-02-08, 03:40 PM
Have you ever replaced the water pump ? The only rotating part in the cooling system is the pump impeller, and I've seen posts in here about some pumps shedding the impeller cover which would grind on the housing.

Just a guess..........

racinrod67
05-02-08, 10:12 PM
I will have to look back in my records, but the dealer installed a new water pump about 4 years ago while it was still under warranty. How long of a life should an OEM waterpump have?

krimson_cardnal
05-05-08, 10:53 PM
I would certainly suspect more than 4yrs. Near as I can tell I'm still running the original in my 96DeVille. K_C

racinrod67
05-06-08, 11:57 PM
Could it be that some of that debris was from the original waterpump? I would have to look at the dealer repair paperwork and see if it states an actual amount of coolant added. I'm sure the standard practice is to just drain enough coolant to change the pump and top off.