: anyone been to hawaii?

"G$"
05-01-08, 11:15 AM
if you've been there and you had a great time, let me know where you went.

I'm looking for a good place to book my honeymoon in August.

thx in advance

everyone says if you've never been there, you have to go. So I'm going to try and get us out there to the AMERICAN pacific islands!

G

thebigjimsho
05-01-08, 11:22 AM
I haven't been but I'm thinking about going next winter. I'll mooch off of your thread...

EcSTSatic
05-01-08, 11:24 AM
Even though Hawaii is expensive, or so I'm told, it is the US so there's no devaluation of the currency as in other, stronger countries.

I spent 2 hours in the airport there on the way back from my far east tour. After we got back to the states, two sets of order came down for a 2 year stint in Hawaii. My buddy and I wanted to take them, but they sent two new guys who didn't want to go. I would have extended my enlistment for the chance!

"G$"
05-01-08, 11:31 AM
I haven't been but I'm thinking about going next winter. I'll mooch off of your thread...

please do. assuming our fellow caddy owners actually respond.

MauiV
05-01-08, 12:00 PM
I lived on Maui for a few years. 2002-2005.

All the Islands are pretty different so it depends on what you are looking for.

IMO Oahu is like L.A. with better beaches. Its crowded, its hectic, it has chain restaurants and a ton of shopping and even more Japanese tourists. The only "must do" thing on Oahu is the USS Arizona memorial. Its the most powerful place I have ever been.

Kauai is very beautiful but kind of rustic because of the lack of rebuilding after Iniki leveled much of the Island almost 20 years ago if memory serves.

Big Island (Hawaii) is nice but also a bit behind in infrastructure. Its bigger than Connecticut and hard to get around because of the 2 HUGE mountains in the middle but it does have the most active volcano in the world.

Maui has the best mix of everything. Its got some very rural parts for great hiking and exploring. Its got more miles of beaches than any other Island. Its got world class hotels (as do the other Islands, they just have fewer) and some of my favorite restaurants in the world. It has great exclusive shopping and economic options too. It has a good mix of locals, transplants and tourists (I think the West Side is to touristy, but thats me).

Molokai is VERY rural, very sparsely populated and tourists are not generally accepted with the most open of arms. It IS old Hawaii and the most "Hawaiian" of all the Islands. It is also where the Leper Colony is still located on a secluded North Shore peninsula.

My favorite place on all the planet is the Island of Lanai. Its where Bill Gates was married if that gives you an idea of the kind of place it is. It was once owned by the Dole company as a pineapple plantation but now has 2 of the best resorts in the world. Manele Bay sits on bluffs over looking the Pacific and my favorite (and top rated property in North America) is the Lodge at Koele. It only has 102 rooms and the service is INCREDIBLE. The food is INCREDIBLE and the golf is INCREDIBLE. If you want a secluded place where you can do absolutely NOTHING, Lanai is the place. I took my now wife their for her birthday a few years ago and it The price of paradise is not cheap but it is worth it and you dont need any shots or a passport to get there.

http://www.fourseasons.com/koele/?source=9E1bld00S&kw=lodge+at+koele&KW_ID=p87619913&creative=1374247348

If you have any questions I will be happy to try. My knowledge of Kauai and Big Island is limited but I know where to look for any answers. I know damn near anything you would want to know about Maui and a split trip between Maui and Lanai (the easiest and cheapest way to Lanai is the ferry from Lahaina, Maui) would be my recommendation and a week isnt even enough time to do just Maui correctly but many people try.

Red_October_7000
05-01-08, 02:16 PM
I've been to Oahu. Great fun place with lots to do, lots to see, and of course the very viable option to do none of it and lay on the beeches and look at pretty girls in their minimalist swimwear. Best hotel to stay at is the Hilton Hawaiian Village, especially if you are a Hilton member and get the discount or anything like that. The Hotel is really like a village and you never have to leave it, you can have anything you want to eat there, just by walking around the grounds. Great fun. Rent a nice, big, well air-conditioned sedan and you can drive around the whole island one day, there is lots to see and some views of places that you swear are only in magazines. All in all great fun. It would be IMHO a wonderful honeymoon destination.

CadillacGurl
05-01-08, 02:36 PM
My parents had their honeymoon in Maui, they want to go back within the next years. My great uncle and aunt live on Oahu part time, they told me either Oahu or Maui you'll have a great honeymoon.

"G$"
05-01-08, 04:13 PM
thanks for the help so far. that lanai place, maui, & hilton sound awesome.

MauiV
05-01-08, 04:44 PM
Hilton Hawaiian Villages is nice, but nowhere near the best place to stay on Oahu. It is older (the Rainbow Tower that is in the opening shot of Hawaii Five-Oh is part of the complex). It is HUGE and it is sort of on Waikiki beach but not really. Oh Oahu you dont really need a car. They have the best bus service in the US, the Wiki-Wiki (which Wikipedia is named after for some reason) that runs the whole Island. You can actually take te bus all the way around the Island with a day pass and just hop on the next one by to your next destination.

Waikiki has the nightlife and the restraunts but for a romantic honeymoon I would recommend Turtle Bay on the North Shore or the JW Marriot Ihilani in Ko Olina on the West Side of Oahu (its the hotel in Blue Crush, and where the actual NFL Pro Bowlers stay). But Oahu would definatly be my 5th choice among all the Islands.

#1 Lanai
#2 Maui
#3 Kauai
#4 Big Island
#5 Oahu

In a perfect scenario I would say a few days on Maui (rental car is a MUST on Maui) including maybe a night at the Hana Hotel, then ferry over for a few nights on Lanai (you can mix your stay between Manele Bay and The Lodge as both are owned by Four Seasons) then back to Maui for a few nights and you may even be able to package the stay with the Four Seasons Wailea (PHENOMINAL Hotel) on Mauis South Shore since they are all the same company.

That was actually the plan for my wedding last year but we had to pull the trigger early and got married at The Biltmore instead but it is the way we will do our next Hawaii trip if my wife ever gets a break from school.

Krashed989
05-01-08, 05:44 PM
I live on the Big island of Hawaii. I lived here since 2000. It's a very nice place especially if you're trying to get away from city life. Mauiv is right though about the mountains and the volcano. There has been some recent activity there too which caused the islands to be covered in vog. So it got pretty hazy here due to the sulfur dioxide levels. Since the trade winds came back it's been pretty nice though.

Sights to see on the Big Island:
1. The volcano
2. Waipio Valley -- Take a tour of the valley, they got horseback tours, van tours, and ATV tours. If you wish to be your own tour guide you will need a 4 wheel drive vehicle as it is one of the steepest paved roads in America.
3. Akaka Falls
4. Rainbow falls
5. South point
6. The Mauna Kea Observatories
7. Of course the beaches -- Here's some truth about this though. If you're going to the beach, stay on the west facing side of the island. Although the waves may be bigger on the east facing shores, the water is unhealthy. Especially in Hilo bay. Nasty nasty water. This is okay though becausea lot of the better resorts on the island are on the west facing side.
8. Golf courses
9. Reef - good snorkeling (stay away from the turtles. It's illegal to touch them, or so I hear.)

There are also Cruise Ships that go all around the islands.

MauiV
05-01-08, 06:15 PM
Howzit Krashed!

If you have ANY type of sinus problems you dont want any part of vog. If I woke up on Maui in the morning with a massive headache I knew the winds had gone Kona and that a layer of vog was settled in around Haleakala. Since I lived in Wailea on the South Shore we got a pretty good dose of it on the few days a year that the Konas came.

Once she finishes school and if my wife can do any of her residency there we plan on moving back to Maui ASAP. Hawaiian time bothered the shit out of me for about my 1st year on Island, now I miss it SOOOO much.

Aloha.

P.S. send some mac crusted Opakapaka

Ranger
05-01-08, 09:58 PM
Been there many, many times, though not lately. Can't add much to what has already been said. Definitely go. You'll love it.

Red_October_7000
05-02-08, 09:14 AM
Hilton Hawaiian Villages is nice, but nowhere near the best place to stay on Oahu. It is older (the Rainbow Tower that is in the opening shot of Hawaii Five-Oh is part of the complex). It is HUGE and it is sort of on Waikiki beach but not really. Oh Oahu you dont really need a car. They have the best bus service in the US, the Wiki-Wiki (which Wikipedia is named after for some reason) that runs the whole Island. You can actually take te bus all the way around the Island with a day pass and just hop on the next one by to your next destination.

You may not strictly need a car but for a vacation, and specifically a honeymoon it's probably nicer to be able to go where you please when you please, outstanding bus service or no. "Wiki" in Hawai'ian means "Quick" or "Expediant", and in Hawai'ian doubling a descriptor ads emphasis, so a Wiki-wiki bus is a very quick bus.

dkozloski
05-02-08, 09:48 AM
I was home ported in Pearl Harbor when I was in the Navy and the anti-white racism and anti-military attitude in general of the indigenous population made it one of the most miserable periods of my life.

Good Luck!

MauiV
05-02-08, 11:39 AM
There is a bit of Haole hating on Oahu, especially if you run across the wrong group of surfers. They are VERY territorial and dont have much to lose. The military hating isn't quite as bad but there is a small core group of secessionists that want to return Hawaii to a separate kingdom (notice that Hawaii and Texas flags look very different than the rest of the states, since they were once sovereign).

Personally I dont care for Oahu. It isnt a "vacation". Its a trip to a big city with great weather. It isnt the Hawaii that I went looking for. It doesnt have the Aloha spirit that the other Islands do.

dkozloski
05-02-08, 01:11 PM
The part that griped me was being refused service in a nice restaurant because I was in the uniform of my country and being served and charged for expensive menu items that I hadn't ordered in another place and being threatened with bodily harm when I tried to peacefully protest. Cab drivers give you the scenic tour and everybody else gives you that smug snear. If your wallet is thick enough to sit you up high enough I'm sure you'll get the glad hand.
In stark contrast, Fairbanks is a military town and we take great pride in showing our appreciation for the servicemen.

MauiV
05-02-08, 01:51 PM
There are still those that believe Hawaii would have been better off to have to be under Japanese control.

I worked with a couple of full blooded Hawaiians. One went to Texas Wesern to college and was the first minority in a fraternity there and he said that people would start speaking Spanish to him and he would just look stupfied. He said he was often refused service in places because they thought he was Mexican and he would have to explain that he was in fact Hawaiian and he was then greeted with open arms because it was in the early 50's and Americans had a huge curiosity about Hawaii since it had just become a state.

I dated a full blooded sansei Japanese girl from Utah for a while. I would get the stink eye from local guys that thought I had stole a local girl. It is frowned upon.

dkozloski
05-02-08, 02:01 PM
There are still those that believe Hawaii would have been better off to have to be under Japanese control.

I worked with a couple of full blooded Hawaiians. One went to Texas Wesern to college and was the first minority in a fraternity there and he said that people would start speaking Spanish to him and he would just look stupfied. He said he was often refused service in places because they thought he was Mexican and he would have to explain that he was in fact Hawaiian and he was then greeted with open arms because it was in the early 50's and Americans had a huge curiosity about Hawaii since it had just become a state.

I dated a full blooded sansei Japanese girl from Utah for a while. I would get the stink eye from local guys that thought I had stole a local girl. It is frowned upon.
Fifty years ago in Fairbanks, a local girl dating a GI was considered a defacto tramp and was immediately cast out of the clique. A program was initiated that allowed members of the military that hadn't finished high school to attend the local school in civilian clothes. It was a huge success and even the students weren't aware of what had been going on until graduation day and the soldiers were handed their diplomas. It was a great eye opener and the beginning of a new attitude that has flourished. A very high percentage of local residents made their first visit to Fairbanks courtesy of Uncle Sam and liked what they saw.

Krashed989
05-02-08, 06:59 PM
Howzit Krashed!

If you have ANY type of sinus problems you dont want any part of vog. If I woke up on Maui in the morning with a massive headache I knew the winds had gone Kona and that a layer of vog was settled in around Haleakala. Since I lived in Wailea on the South Shore we got a pretty good dose of it on the few days a year that the Konas came.

Once she finishes school and if my wife can do any of her residency there we plan on moving back to Maui ASAP. Hawaiian time bothered the shit out of me for about my 1st year on Island, now I miss it SOOOO much.

Aloha.

P.S. send some mac crusted Opakapaka

Ohh man! I haven't had mac crusted Opakapaka in a long time! That's some good fish!... I type this as I'm eating my friends spicy Poke made with marlin. Mmmmmmmmmmm... No rice shortage here. haha!

MauiV
05-03-08, 08:43 PM
Last time I went fishing with a buddy from work we were on the backside of Lanai and caught a small Ahi. It was put on ice for about an hour and then the shoyu and wasabi got busted out for some FRESH sashimi. We found a cargo net floating a bit later and filled the boat with Mahi Mahi until we couldnt hold any more. It was well over 400lbs worth.

Im the only guy in Hawaiian history that doesnt like sticky white rice.

LS1Mike
05-03-08, 09:38 PM
I have been there 14 times. 8 with the Navy and the rest on my own. Been to the Big Island, Maui and Oahu. I have never had a bad time. If my wife left me tomorrow the Trans Am and I would be on our way. Ah T-tops out most of the time and my fat belly getting sunned on the beach. I love it there.
Good "adult entertaint" on Oahu if your are into that.
I can't say enough about how much I like it there. The only thing I can say is Oahu has changed since the early 90's it is more crowed and seemed dirtier the last time I went in 2007.

hueterm
05-03-08, 11:39 PM
I would stay away from Honolulu other than for Pearl Harbor/USS Arizona (and now the USS Missouri). The Missouri wasn't there when I went, but I saw the USS Alabama a few years ago in Mobile, and I'm sure the MO would be much more awesome.

Maui was incredible, though. If you go, go to Haleakala and make the drive to Hana. Guaranteed to have a great time.

LeftyCTS
05-06-08, 09:31 PM
if you've been there and you had a great time, let me know where you went.

I'm looking for a good place to book my honeymoon in August.

thx in advance

everyone says if you've never been there, you have to go. So I'm going to try and get us out there to the AMERICAN pacific islands!

G

I went to Oahu in April 2007. Spent a week in Waikiki and had a great time.

http://usera.imagecave.com/LeftyCTS/DSC00007_005-copy.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/LeftyCTS/hawaiiDSC00022_020-copy.jpg

JTraik
05-07-08, 12:17 AM
I have been to Maui and Kauai... Maui absolutely blew my mind. Kauai was great too, but I liked Maui much better.

dkozloski
05-07-08, 12:34 AM
It took me a while to pin down what gave me a strange feeling in the Hawaii outback. If you're in the spruce woods around here it smells like a coniferous forest. If you're in the brush in Hawaii it smells like the garbage at the local landfill. Here the vegetation lays on the forest floor and slowly decays. In Hawaii with the warmth and the moisture, the vegatation rapidly rots and stinks. I suppose it's a small thing if you're used to it but I wasn't. Some orchids also stink. Just an observation.

MauiV
05-07-08, 12:49 AM
I have been to Maui and Kauai... Maui absolutely blew my mind. Kauai was great too, but I liked Maui much better.

Your welcome. Oh you werent talking about me?

MauiV
05-07-08, 12:53 AM
It took me a while to pin down what gave me a strange feeling in the Hawaii outback. If you're in the spruce woods around here it smells like a coniferous forest. If you're in the brush in Hawaii it smells like the garbage at the local landfill. Here the vegetation lays on the forest floor and slowly decays. In Hawaii with the warmth and the moisture, the vegatation rapidly rots and stinks. I suppose it's a small thing if you're used to it but I wasn't. Some orchids also stink. Just an observation.

The worst thing your gonna run into in that Hawaiian jungle is a centipede, not a Kodiak.

One of my favorite things in Maui is to stand in a bamboo forest with the wind blowing and listen to the rattle. It is absolute tranquility and peace.

dkozloski
05-07-08, 01:34 AM
The latest estimate is that there are as many as thirty grizzlies inside the city of Anchorage. Carry your .458 Win. Mag. to the dumpster.