: Very very weird......

KiwiCadi
05-01-08, 08:13 AM
The final chapter of getting my 75 SDV brought here to New Zealand has finally closed. The car's been here since late February, but during the course of the purchase back in December the seller (a CA dealer) sent me some forms from the DMV to fill in and sign, which I did.

To cut a long story short, it turns out that there was no need to go the DMV at all as the car was leaving the US, the car's title should have been sent straight to US Customs instead (which it was eventually).

The DMV were apparently uninterested in the fact that the car was never to see its homeland again, and were adamant that they needed the title, so when the authorities over here were done with it, I sent it - along with all its other paperwork - back to the dealer so they could forward it to the DMV.

I figured that would be last of it, until yesterday when I got a letter from the DMV, and sure enough inside there it is, "STATE OF CALIFORNIA CERTIFICATE OF TITLE"...............with my NEW ZEALAND address on it!!!!!!!

Still says 296MIW, even though the old blue plates are hanging on the garage wall.....it even has a new VIN now.

Bureaucracy really know no bounds I guess........:thepan:

Rolex
05-01-08, 10:55 AM
Glad it worked out for you. :cheers:

MauiV
05-01-08, 01:31 PM
Could have been worse. You could have had to stand in line at the DMV.

RightTurn
05-01-08, 01:35 PM
:rimshot:

xshrpshtr
05-01-08, 11:03 PM
^^^I can play drums on rockband better than she can...LOL

70eldo
05-05-08, 10:03 AM
The final chapter of getting my 75 SDV brought here to New Zealand has finally closed. The car's been here since late February, but during the course of the purchase back in December the seller (a CA dealer) sent me some forms from the DMV to fill in and sign, which I did.

To cut a long story short, it turns out that there was no need to go the DMV at all as the car was leaving the US, the car's title should have been sent straight to US Customs instead (which it was eventually).

The DMV were apparently uninterested in the fact that the car was never to see its homeland again, and were adamant that they needed the title, so when the authorities over here were done with it, I sent it - along with all its other paperwork - back to the dealer so they could forward it to the DMV.

I figured that would be last of it, until yesterday when I got a letter from the DMV, and sure enough inside there it is, "STATE OF CALIFORNIA CERTIFICATE OF TITLE"...............with my NEW ZEALAND address on it!!!!!!!

Still says 296MIW, even though the old blue plates are hanging on the garage wall.....it even has a new VIN now.

Bureaucracy really know no bounds I guess........:thepan:

Good thing you got it in NZ safe and well.
I purchased my 70 Eldorado in CA and had it registered in AZ as I was doing flight school there. When I shipped the car to Holland, a school buddy from the flight school who took over my apartment in Tucson said the DMV was still sending me bills for tax...

I have no idea if that's going to be a problem and I don't know how to deal with that either... That was 8 years ago.