: How much softer is the ride between these Cadillacs?

BeelzeBob
06-02-03, 10:05 AM
STS to the SLS
ETC to the ESC
DTS to the DHS and the DeVille

HotRodSaint
06-02-03, 10:27 AM
Remember Goldilocks and the 3 Bears?

What one person calls soft, another one thinks is firm.

mnymaker
06-02-03, 10:54 AM
Well from experience of owning both an SLS (first) and a STS (currently), both being the same year car, here's my take.

The SLS is a much more softer ride than the STS although the STS is no where near a harsh ride. The SLS is spongeier in the curves and over speed bumps where (blasphamy) the STS handles and rides more like a 5 series BMW. Firm and stable yet very comfortable and smooth.

Just my 2 cents...

Katshot
06-02-03, 10:56 AM
Spring rates are significantly higher on the "sport" models, and some have higher rate shocks as well. Cars with the "active" suspension have significantly higher rate performance curves programmed in. So relative to the "standard" versions of the same model, the "sport" version IS significantly stiffer but whether it would be considered TRUELY stiff, or just barely firm, or even still too soft would depend TOTALLY on your personal taste.

kempie
06-04-03, 12:01 AM
I had a 97 Deville Concours w/active suspensoin and I thought it rode a little rough, for a Cad. Handled OK.
The 99 STS rides better than the Concours and handles even better.
I'm told the new magentic shocks do an even better job of smoothing out the bumps and flatening the corners.

Ralph
06-04-03, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Katshot
Spring rates are significantly higher on the "sport" models, and some have higher rate shocks as well. Cars with the "active" suspension have significantly higher rate performance curves programmed in. So relative to the "standard" versions of the same model, the "sport" version IS significantly stiffer but whether it would be considered TRUELY stiff, or just barely firm, or even still too soft would depend TOTALLY on your personal taste.

I thought the new DTS (even my '91) had a firmer ride adjusted by the computer at higher speeds, and at low speeds the valving in the shocks or struts are relaxed to give a soft, floaty ride? The new DTS is supposed to be firmer, but around town it's a real *****cat of a soft ride. Mind you, I guess my Fleetwood MIGHT seem a little softer, but it is difficult to really tell.

Katshot
06-04-03, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
I thought the new DTS (even my '91) had a firmer ride adjusted by the computer at higher speeds, and at low speeds the valving in the shocks or struts are relaxed to give a soft, floaty ride? The new DTS is supposed to be firmer, but around town it's a real *****cat of a soft ride. Mind you, I guess my Fleetwood MIGHT seem a little softer, but it is difficult to really tell.

Ralph,
Notice I said cars with"active" suspensions do it through the programming. Besides that, there are still other hardware-based performance mods done to the sport version cars too.

mnymaker
06-04-03, 12:42 PM
Ralph have you or when are you gonna post some pics of this Canadian Caddy mannnnnn!!! I'm interested in seeing that ride.

Ralph
06-05-03, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by mnymaker
Ralph have you or when are you gonna post some pics of this Canadian Caddy mannnnnn!!! I'm interested in seeing that ride.

I know, I am going to get some nice ones up, you see I don't own a digital camera, my friend does, so it has to be at his convienence, I will e-mail him tonite to ask him if we can take some tomorrow after work. Thanks for the interest, I have one pic on this site, but I know it is very dark and you have to double click it.:(