: Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger

Mitch3
05-29-04, 11:23 AM
I've been watching the TV and Magazine ads for these two cars and have to say I was pretty impressed. Neither was the run of the mill design that the auto industry has been putting out lately. Well yesterday I finally saw the 300 in real life. It was parked in the grocery store parking lot and I had to stop and give it the full once over. Now I'm not sure I like it. The design is really somewhat radical by today's standards. The color was a crappy looking cream which I don't think helped. Not saying I don't like it--Just not sure. Some of you guys thought the interior was cheap. I disagree. I've always had great luck with my Chryslers and thought they were really well built. Now on to the Charger. Has anyone seen this one in real life ?? Wondering what the feedback is.

Brett
05-29-04, 01:37 PM
I read in Motor Trend, there is a SRT-8 model coming with 425 horsepower, if true, things are getting really interesting out there. Im not a huge fan of the look, ive seen several, never seen the interior and havent seen a Magnum either. I think a magnum sedan would be pretty cool, better than the 300 imo

brougham
05-29-04, 01:52 PM
The interior is so-so. For a car that costs as much as the 300C you'd expect to see something nicer. Or at least more fake wood or something instead of black plastic. If you saw the cream colour that I've seen on them that's the colour that I like best. Usually black is one of my favourite colours for cars but on them I didn't like it and dark grey didn't look much better.

The Charger isn't out yet. The wagon back of the Magnum is kind of pointless. When you're inside looking at the back the ceiling looks really low. I don't know what it's actually like back there. I wasn't interested enough in them to spend the time looking.

RBraczyk
05-29-04, 02:22 PM
I saw one at a dealership. I don't like it. Its not gonna go anywhere in snow.

Pimpin_Whity
05-29-04, 02:31 PM
i sat the 300C on the NYC Auto Show, it was a midnight blue metallic, and i thought it looked relly good (they also have an amazing black-lava pearl). last year they had the concept next to the ole 50's 300 and you can see where they got the styling from. as for the interior, it's a big step for american cars in the mid price range. i cant say that the interor in the G35s is any better, if not worse. i'm 6'1" and i had plenty of leg and head room. the only thing i would change though is the whole aluminum trim, i would go for nice red/mappa burl wood or cadillac's zebrano.

Ralph
05-30-04, 02:51 AM
I'll take a 300 over the Magnum station wagon-look.(even with a hemi I'm not impressed) I NEED to see the new Charger, does anyone have a pic they can post?

Ralph
05-30-04, 03:16 AM
Here is an excellent review of the 300 and Magnum. Still looking for Charger.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=180&sid=180&article=6938

Msilva954
05-30-04, 08:02 AM
I just drove a Black 300C about 4 days ago, my fathers friend bought one he got every option possible and walked out paying $37,000 not too bad. The black is gourgeous and when he let me drive it, there was just a ENDLESS amount of power. At almost 40mph when you floor it, you can actually get wheelspin. I thought the interior was nicer then I expected...anyone who says that it is cheap hasnt sat in it. The interior in my opinion is nicer then anything Caddy has done up to the new STS. He had the optional Walnut and that is a big improvment over the turtle plastic. He said the only thing he didnt like was that there should have been more wood around like you say.

Overall its a great car, and one of the top 3 american cars now in my opinion. Its nice enough to sway my mother from buying another BMW 3-series. We drive a conv...and now she wants this.

c5 rv
05-30-04, 08:09 AM
Now the gangsta rappers have spoken:

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0405/30/c01-167862.htm

Reading this reminded me of those recent comments by Bill Cosby.

Mitch3
05-30-04, 08:14 AM
Well now that I have everyone looking for a Charger, I meant to say Magnum.

Old age creeping up on me. I don't think Dodge makes a Charger anymore, unless it's on their upcoming lineup. Seems to me I did read something about it.
Sorry for the mixup.

Pimpin_Whity
05-30-04, 10:55 AM

did they "translate" snoop's message? :histeric: although i do see some people having trouble understanding that :suspense: but yeah, if he gets his hands on that car then it'll have more popularity then the CTS wilth it's Matrix commercial

FastCTS
05-30-04, 11:19 AM
I ordered the 300C Hemi earlier this month, it will take a couple of months to get it. Different strokes for different folks, it's like when the CTS first came out, either you loved it or hated it. For me there is nothing neater then having a CTS and 300C parked in your garage with your Harley.
Like I did with the CTS I'll be adding some more wood trim to the interior, should look nice. The car will be black with chrome wheels and nice chrome pieces on body. Going to have to do something different with the grill like I did with the CTS, not sure what.

Devil_concours
05-30-04, 12:27 PM
http://www.racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=739&p=6
(slow download speed if you're not a premier member)

Anyways they basically said not to cancel your order on 5 series. Also there was a lot of comments regarding interior material and dash flex.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-30-04, 03:18 PM
we wont see charger for a few more weeks , approx 2 before we may get the cahnce to see a spy shot as a stock body and racecar are sent to nascar for approval .

current rumor has the 4th of june for submission to nascar for 2005 season approval

Pimpin_Whity
05-31-04, 04:51 PM
http://www.racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=739&p=6
(slow download speed if you're not a premier member)

Anyways they basically said not to cancel your order on 5 series. Also there was a lot of comments regarding interior material and dash flex.
they're just mad that we're better :want:

Msilva954
05-31-04, 04:59 PM
I think soooo too pimpin......were a BMW owner but I just think that it is crazy that some of them are die-hard. If a car is good its good, but I tend to see to many BMW owners brag and what not........I guess we just arent die hard because ours was free:)

Pimpin_Whity
05-31-04, 05:27 PM
i dont want to offend anyone here, but BMW owners are some of the most arrogant and ignorant people out there (kind of like ricers). and most bimmers aren't fast at all. the M ones are quite fast, the 750 and 760 are fast for big cars, and the 850 is fast too. but most bimmers aren't any of those models, and the owners talk about them like they're ferraris. they even say that a Z4 is better then a C5, and when you put them in their place they say that the interior is way better. but that's not ture, i think the C5 has alot more room and is more comfy then the Z4, or any other bimmer besides the 7series, and with nice wood or carbon fiber trim it'll look even better.

JBsZ06
05-31-04, 05:51 PM
I drove the 300C as well and its a very nice ride.

I'd buy it before almost any other automatic V8 rwd four door car at this point.

Looking foward to seeing the new Dodge Charger too.

Dead Sled
05-31-04, 07:28 PM
I like the magnum but not the styling of the 300C. And why the hell isn't it the 300N? makes no sense to call it the C when your trying to folow the liniage of the 300 series.

Msilva954
05-31-04, 08:54 PM
I think the styling of both are great and Chrysler also did a very good job of making both the models look different. My mother actually wants a 300C and the father actually wants a Magnum......Ill stick with Caddy's though.

Devil_concours
05-31-04, 10:30 PM
I think soooo too pimpin......were a BMW owner but I just think that it is crazy that some of them are die-hard. If a car is good its good, but I tend to see to many BMW owners brag and what not........I guess we just arent die hard because ours was free:)
that clip link was from a british tv show called top gear. They review cars like motortrend and car and driver.

Pimpin_Whity
05-31-04, 10:49 PM
i didn't see the clip, but i know top gear and fifth gear (which probably reviewed the 300 because top gear usually does exotics), they are such european bull*****ers. they said both of the hummers are big, sluggish and use lots of fuel for no reason :annoyed:. and they're happy that the crossfire doesnt have a "big gas-guzzling v8" :helpless:, but they didn't say anyting about the v12 in the CL65 :hmm:. anyways, i love their reviews for exotics but not regular street cars.

Devil_concours
06-01-04, 12:09 AM
i didn't see the clip, but i know top gear and fifth gear (which probably reviewed the 300 because top gear usually does exotics), they are such european bull*****ers. they said both of the hummers are big, sluggish and use lots of fuel for no reason :annoyed:. and they're happy that the crossfire doesnt have a "big gas-guzzling v8" :helpless:, but they didn't say anyting about the v12 in the CL65 :hmm:. anyways, i love their reviews for exotics but not regular street cars.

well i actually agree with what they say. Hummers and Escalades just doesn't fit in with eurpeans because 1) their gas price is riduculously expensive 2) their roads are narrow compared to us.
also crossfire doesn't need a v8 since they are using supercharged amg v6 and v12 in cl65 will of course burn gas like crazy just like vipers drink gas.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-01-04, 12:09 AM
ALot of the BMW hype is because it is a very balanced car , even the lowleist 3series handles great . The m cars just get beatter powertrains , which i always thought comprimised the balance a little .The 330 is probably the best of boath worlds

I come from the Lotus school of thought , I dont need power to beat someone in the twisties , just good balance and light weight .

but i have to admit i love my V8s

I do notice a few BMW drivers out there that are P_u_n_k_S (im sorry but there not what the computer subs that for "love gods"), but theres still quite a few that are the nicest guys youll meet ,esp the ones that own the car on its merits and not as a status symbol .

I meet more p_u_n_k_s in c5s when were out in our c3 , there is a wave among us vette people , c5 guys never return the wave and stick there nose in the air instaed . Z06 people tend to be more freindly , once again becuse that car caters to the more enthusist minded individual .

So if your out in a newer vette and a couple guys in a white 73 wave at you , be nice and wave back damit !

lowscola
06-01-04, 02:03 PM
The 300c is nice...I saw it last winter at a Motor Trend Car show. The Chrysler idiots had a base model ( cloth interior, etc. ) on the turn table that left me uninspired and ultimatley led me to the DeVille. I think it's the Hemi badge that makes the car look better because when I see a regular 300 and then a 300c, for some reason knowing whats under the hood makes the car look better even though the exterirors are similar if not the same. They do have a nice presence on the street and I started to get worried but my DeVille can still post up with the best of them even the 300c.

I don't like the back end though, looks like a Galant

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2004/Mitsubishi/100161648/022810-E.jpg

...the a$$ on my DeVille is fatter...and thats what I like. Still wouldn't race one though.

Pimpin_Whity
06-01-04, 02:20 PM
ALot of the BMW hype is because it is a very balanced car , even the lowleist 3series handles great . The m cars just get beatter powertrains , which i always thought comprimised the balance a little .The 330 is probably the best of boath worlds

I come from the Lotus school of thought , I dont need power to beat someone in the twisties , just good balance and light weight .

but i have to admit i love my V8s

I do notice a few BMW drivers out there that are P_u_n_k_S (im sorry but there not what the computer subs that for "love gods"), but theres still quite a few that are the nicest guys youll meet ,esp the ones that own the car on its merits and not as a status symbol .

I meet more p_u_n_k_s in c5s when were out in our c3 , there is a wave among us vette people , c5 guys never return the wave and stick there nose in the air instaed . Z06 people tend to be more freindly , once again becuse that car caters to the more enthusist minded individual .

So if your out in a newer vette and a couple guys in a white 73 wave at you , be nice and wave back damit !
i think it's because most Bimmer and C5 drivers are young kids who got the car by begging their rich dady to buy it for them. they think they can get anything and are above everyone else, and that's not cool :tisk:

Msilva954
06-01-04, 08:47 PM
They tend to be like that cause they think that they have the best of the best in their particular class of car.....usually they do....but no reason to act like that.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-01-04, 09:09 PM
Those are the kids in the BMWs that look surprised when a old 510 shows them up on track days , the look is priceless. Snobs think they have the best becuse they have no clue what else is out there .

Lots of these snob kids are aweful behind the wheel too , make easy prey when you have your rental car
like i say there are very nice BMW drivers out there , boris said is one of them , very nice guy and a hell of a shoe

Pimpin_Whity
06-01-04, 09:42 PM
i didn't say all of them are messed up. i was talking about the ones i meet, which happen to be in my age group. and sadly they're not too bright :helpless:

Pimpin_Whity
06-01-04, 09:51 PM
anyway.......back to the topic

i would love it if they would make a sedan or even a coupe version of the Magnum SRT/8 :worship:
http://www.maximum-cars.com/Cars/Dodge/2003%20SRT-8%20C/2003-SRT-8-C-1.jpg
cause u have to respect 430hp 480ft-lbs torque stock :coolgleam

davesdeville
06-02-04, 07:31 PM

Does this spell the end of the Snoop DeVille?

Msilva954
06-02-04, 09:49 PM
I hope Snoop stays faithful to the Caddy line too....I wouldnt mind havin one of those Snoop Devilles though.

Only Pic I could find.

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c447344a.jpg

Stoneage_Caddy
06-02-04, 11:10 PM
what the snoop deville is a car you can buy ? i thought it was just his car he had made ...

vouge got something to do with it ?

Pimpin_Whity
06-02-04, 11:25 PM
i think all those parts could be purchased separately from vogue

Msilva954
06-03-04, 07:11 AM
Originally it was supposed to be a Snoop/Cadillac deal but it fell through and it ended up being a Snoop/Memphis Cadillac Dealer deal. The Out side appears to be all Vogue Equiptment but its the Inside that has all the works done to it.

1.3 Flat screen TV's
2.Hand made leather seats w/ GENUINE MINK inserts
3. Custom Rear Sunroof that is ajustable by back seat passengers
4.Sound system

I hear at one point they were like $80 grand but id imagine they are cheaper then that...Alot of celebrities have bought em....P.Diddy....etc.

I like it alot as it is classy. I want to have a deville like that one day. My current is sort of a early 90's Snoop Deville.:)

Playdrv4me
06-07-04, 04:48 AM
Im currently shopping the 35,000 vehicle price range and a 300C simply doesnt appeal to me when I can purchase a 60,000.00 2003 Navigator for less money and that speaks volumes about why Im not crazy about alot of domestic vehicles to begin with... resale value. That being said, the 300C does represent a solid value in the mid-sized car market for those who WANT to spend the money on something new, its rivaling the much more expensive Town Car, LS and STS from Lincoln and Cadillac. If they put Climate Controlled seats and a park distance sensor in the 300C they will steal hoards of business from GM and Ford if nothing else for the aggressive look and the extremely competitive price. The interior is NOT cheap, in fact I feel the comment above is completely backwards, this is not "too little" interior for the price paid, it is in fact MORE than adequate interior quality and amenity for the price paid, especially with the navigation system and audiophile stereo. I believe the sedan will get better with time, and used ones will cost next to nothing. Additionally, with the underpinnings (primarly transmission, quite literally the BEST piece they could have plucked) sourced from the Mercedes parts-bin, this Chrysler should also prove to be something many arent...Reliable.

On a sidenote, from the first moment I saw this car, I knew it would fit Snoop quite well, if you throw some mean big chrome wheels on this thing it is quite "sick" as some would say.

Randy_W
06-07-04, 08:00 AM
Playdrv4me, if your 330 is fairly late model with a 5speed automatic trans, that trans is built by GM! I just thought you might like to know that!:D

Raze
06-07-04, 12:20 PM
I've seen the 300c and the magnum, never seen even a concept pic of the charger but that's cool they're bringing it back. I have to say that the rear end of the 300c is terrible considering how nice I think the front end looks. It seems to me that they designed the Magnum first, then chopped off the rear roofline and turned it into a sedan and it looks awkward on the 300c.

The magnum on the other hand is downright gorgeous. I drove an old stationwagon POS in highschool and got laughed at, but what the kids driving their saturns, civics, and other small cars didn't know was that the power of the station wagon isn't in it's performance, handling, or goodlooks, but in the fact that you have a portable bed for you and a "guest" whenever and wherever you wanted which was awesome when you lived at home...
I can honestly say the Magnum would have made me even more proud to have driven a station wagon back in the day and given me even more reason to laugh at everyone who was laughing at me! I mean it's got great looks, insane power, handling is still not the best but what do you expect, it's a freakin station wagon, and of course it's still got room for 2 ;)

Randy_W
06-07-04, 12:38 PM
I still think the front of the 300 looks like an old Checker Marathon!:D Paint it yellow and put 'YELLOW CAB' on the doors and start collecting fares.;)

AirJigga25
06-07-04, 12:58 PM
I was watching ESPN yesterday and saw a review on the Dodge... the review was great. It's like a hotrod station wagon that looks good imo. I'd like to drive one actually. Why's everyone so negative?

Plus it has the technology that shuts down a couple cylinders seamlessly to help you increase gas mileage when you're slowing down or somthing like that. Therefore, its a powerful V8 that gets the gas mileage of a V6.

Devil_concours
06-07-04, 01:16 PM
I was watching ESPN yesterday and saw a review on the Dodge... the review was great. It's like a hotrod station wagon that looks good imo. I'd like to drive one actually. Why's everyone so negative?

Plus it has the technology that shuts down a couple cylinders seamlessly to help you increase gas mileage when you're slowing down or somthing like that. Therefore, its a powerful V8 that gets the gas mileage of a V6.
did you actually see the epa figures for those?
i think on highway it was like 25mpg for 300c.

Ralph
06-08-04, 02:09 AM
from the Mercedes parts-bin, this Chrysler should also prove to be something many arent...Reliable.

I would think that if you are talking electronics, Chrysler did much better W/O Benz. :lildevil: Supposedly, the 300's are selling quite well according to my dealer, but he may be biased. ;) Even without heated/cooled seats, they are a hit because lack of these type of options keeps the cost down. People would probably complain and NEVER buy a 300 if it cost as much as a new DTS. :shhh:

Glad you are back Ian. :)

Playdrv4me
06-08-04, 04:39 AM
Thanks,

Yes youve got a point about the options, but I think if you conservatively select a FEW whiz bang options, maybe even just the heated and cooled seats or something else as snazzy, you can increment the price just a little bit without destroying the category altogether.

As far as the Benz thing, I pretty much just meant the tranny, otherwise yes, Benz electronics are not exactly top notch when it comes to being problem free. But then all the german marques suffer from electrical issues.

brougham
06-08-04, 10:40 AM
You never hear about a lot of problems from the newer style Intrepids and other big Chryslers. Daimler Chrysler always seems to be saying sales are bad and they're loosing money but there are tons of new Chryslers all over the place. The one good thing about being based off a Mercedes is that some people are going to look at it that they're getting a Mercedes for a lot less.

To me the interior does have a cheaper look then you'd expect and when we were at the Chrysler tour that's what a lot of people were saying about them. Like I said before you don't expect to see that much plastic in a car that costs that much. I like the interior of the last LHS better. It had a bit of a classic look to it with the big grille and the winged badges and it kept it inside. The 300 is different. But it's still one of the 2 new cars that I'd get.

lowscola
06-23-04, 12:45 PM
Damn:

http://www.autospies.com/images/uploads/medium/IMG_0215.JPG

ChiMick
06-23-04, 01:31 PM
Charger Spy Pic:

http://www.modernracer.com/spyshots/spyshotsdodgecharger1.jpg