: smoking engine after install

RickyHenry
04-30-08, 06:18 PM
hey all,

we have the car running today, a 1999 cadillac seville sts... we let it warm up to operating temperature and the engine keeps letting off major amounts of smoke. My speculation is the new head gaskets are heating up and burning. If it is this, how long would it take before the smoking stops? also, we used GUNK and cleaned off the engine a couple of weeks ago before reinstalling it. Is it common to have lots of smoke burning off the engine after you reinstall it?

The smoke doesn't smell like oil or anything... and we have no leaks yet that we see. The smell of the smoke is definitely not rubber either. Just wondering what your guys thoughts are on this. We can also rule out an exhaust leak as it doesn't appear until the engine starts to warm up.

Submariner409
04-30-08, 06:56 PM
If you used Gunk and didn't really hose it off, that's the smoke, but it should smell like hot Gunk. Did you paint something? Use oil or anti-seize on exhaust bolts or parts? Head gaskets do not heat up and burn, ever. Is the cooling system temperature normal, as measured with tempil sticks (from NAPA)or a handheld IR thermometer? Thermostat starts at 188 and is fully open at 206.

If the "smoke" is coming up around the engine and out under the hood, it's something hot. If it's coming out the tailpipe, you got big troubles.

RickyHenry
05-03-08, 01:36 PM
the tailpipe is void of smoke, the engine stopped smoking after about 2 hours of running time, and has not smoked since. I didn't recognize the smell at all. At this point, since it's been a few days since the smoke issue, I think I'm just going to have to accuse my lack of cleaning off the gunk fully. Thanks for the insight on HG's not burning up.