: Question about the L9H Engine for 2009

Dif
04-30-08, 04:24 PM
The (L9H) Vortec 6.2L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI engine is Replacing the (L92) Vortec 6.2L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI engine for 2009 and beyond.

I read the "only" difference is the L9H has Flex Fuel capability.

My question is:
Will the L9H also run on 8,6, or 4 cylinders ?

GM-4-LIFE
04-30-08, 04:26 PM
The (L9H) Vortec 6.2L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI engine Replacing the (L92) Vortec 6.2L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI engine for 2009 and beyond.

I read the "only" difference is the L9H has Flex Fuel capability.

My question is:
Will the L9H also run on 8,6, or 4 cylinders ?

The answer is YES! The L9H will feature GM's AFM or Active Fuel Management which will allow the engine to run in V-8 or V-4 mode. It will not ever run on 6 cylinders. That is great news for 2009 and up Escalade owners!

SG

SWRidin
04-30-08, 06:41 PM
I had a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with AFM & FlexFuel... V-4 only came on when going downhill or cruising without accelerating. Like if you are going 65 and keep your foot steady, the slightest additional pressure and V-8 mode switches on. With 24's I was averaging 16.2 mpg according the the DIC. I put the stock 20's on when we took a 1,000 plus mile trip to Cali for a week and it still avg 16.2 mpg. Now in my 2007 Escalade AWD, I'm averaging 15.1 mpg (DIC) on 24's. I was afraid the Escalade would be a dramatic loss in mpg, but I'm happy to see I only lost 1 mpg.

My opinion is AFM and FlexFuel are great ideas, but in real world applications they seem to be just hype.

For those that don't know, E85 FlexFuel is not available everywhere. Its kind of hard to find. Its usually only a few cents cheaper than regular fuel, and it contains less energy therefore a full tank of E85 has less distance range than regular.

Like I said, they are great ideas but in my opinion they are only tiny steps in the direction we need to be taking to be more fuel efficient.

Dif
04-30-08, 10:26 PM
I had a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with AFM & FlexFuel... V-4 only came on when going downhill or cruising without accelerating. Like if you are going 65 and keep your foot steady, the slightest additional pressure and V-8 mode switches on. With 24's I was averaging 16.2 mpg according the the DIC. I put the stock 20's on when we took a 1,000 plus mile trip to Cali for a week and it still avg 16.2 mpg. Now in my 2007 Escalade AWD, I'm averaging 15.1 mpg (DIC) on 24's. I was afraid the Escalade would be a dramatic loss in mpg, but I'm happy to see I only lost 1 mpg.

My opinion is AFM and FlexFuel are great ideas, but in real world applications they seem to be just hype.

For those that don't know, E85 FlexFuel is not available everywhere. Its kind of hard to find. Its usually only a few cents cheaper than regular fuel, and it contains less energy therefore a full tank of E85 has less distance range than regular.

Like I said, they are great ideas but in my opinion they are only tiny steps in the direction we need to be taking to be more fuel efficient.
You posted my thoughts exactly.
If there is a big increase in mileage great, but will real world mileage make much difference.
All hills where I live. :bigroll:
I'm also curious what the price increase will be for the 2009 Escalade just because it has the L9H ? That's lost money right there.
Be nice if it was an option instead.
My cousin has a Chevy truck with AFM engine and my 07 EXT gets better mileage.
I do think the EXT 6 speed trans compared to his 4 speed has something to do with it.
The Escalade with a 6 speed and L9H might do good.
I have another 20 months before deciding on a 2010 EXT.
Plenty of time to see just how good the 09's really perform with the L9H.

hcvone
05-01-08, 09:24 AM
I think you may see a good savings in mpg with the new engine on the highway, I will let you know ;)

GM-4-LIFE
05-01-08, 11:06 AM
I think you may see a good savings in mpg with the new engine on the highway, I will let you know ;)

I agree! I will also report back when we get our 2009. Let's hope the axle strike is over by then! I know that GM's Arlington Assembly plant has been closed for two weeks and is scheduled to open this Monday.

SG