: My 97 Deville is hard to start only when cold

remas1974
05-29-04, 03:25 AM
:bighead: Hi everybody,

My 97 Deville is hard to start in the morning. It used to be hard to start when warm, and then I changed the FPR. The car starts at the first trial when warm, but it will take up to a 4 to 6 trials in the morning to start. My caddy has 120 000, I changed the filter, the plugs, wires, and the FPR. Please help, I am starting to hate my car after this problem because I start my day with it every morning since the car is cold!:hmm:

zonie77
05-29-04, 10:25 AM
The fuel pump may be weak. Can you get a fuel pressure gauge and check pressure?

remas1974
05-30-04, 01:34 PM
Hi guys,:suspect:

I just checked the fuel pressure; it was 22 PSI at the first trial to start the engine. Then, it was 25 PSI at the second trial. It was constantly 25 PSI when the car started; I could not get any higher than this.

What do you think guys? Should I change the pump, or check something else?

Please advice:confused:

eldorado1
05-30-04, 01:54 PM
If memory serves, you're supposed to be seeing 45psi or so. When you first turned the key to the "run" position, did it climb slowly to 22psi? Was it going down at any point in your test? Fuel filter isn't the problem here, but it's worth changing anyways since one bad tank of gas can plug it up... Does your oil smell like gasoline? If so, you may be experiencing a leaking injector or FPR. If not, that points to either your FPR or your fuel pump.

er, I should mention, when I say "going down", I mean did it slowly go back to 0psi if you didn't do anything (still in run, but not running)?

[edit again] hehe... just read you changed the FPR. In that case, lean towards the fuel pump.

remas1974
05-30-04, 01:59 PM
If memory serves, you're supposed to be seeing 45psi or so. When you first turned the key to the "run" position, did it climb slowly to 22psi? Was it going down at any point in your test? Fuel filter isn't the problem here, but it's worth changing anyways since one bad tank of gas can plug it up... Does your oil smell like gasoline? If so, you may be experiencing a leaking injector or FPR. If not, that points to either your FPR or your fuel pump.

er, I should mention, when I say "going down", I mean did it slowly go back to 0psi if you didn't do anything (still in run)?
The pressure climbed to 22 PSI slowly, and then it reached 25 PSI.

I already changed the fuel filter, the FPR, and the PCV valve to remove any possibilities.

If the fuel pump is the problem, do you know how much it costs?

eldorado1
05-30-04, 03:22 PM
NAPA tells me it's $249, but I'm not sure if that's just the pump, or the whole sender. On ebay, there's a complete sender for $224

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2480143248&category=33555&sspagename=WDVW

Although I could have sworn there's some generic OEM pump that you can swap in for around $120... Before you go out and replace it though, how does your oil smell?

remas1974
06-03-04, 06:17 PM
NAPA tells me it's $249, but I'm not sure if that's just the pump, or the whole sender. On ebay, there's a complete sender for $224

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2480143248&category=33555&sspagename=WDVW

Although I could have sworn there's some generic OEM pump that you can swap in for around $120... Before you go out and replace it though, how does your oil smell?
Thank you for your efforts, I just bought the pump online and I will receive it in a couple of days.

I checked the smell of the oil and it was normal to me.

Guys, if anyone of you has any idea about what other problems may be causing the hard starting please tell me before I change the pump.

Thank you again:halo:

feef706
06-03-04, 06:24 PM
My 96 deville has the same problem. I have 78k miles on it and sometimes when its night time or later in the day it is hard to start, I have to crank it twice. If I have been driving around and park and then start it again I have no problems. Lately it has started running really rough though, it hesitates and Im hoping its just the o2 sensor cause my check engine light came on and gave me the o2 sensor code. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Also if the fuel pump works let me know. Thanks James

eldorado1
06-03-04, 08:16 PM
Thank you for your efforts, I just bought the pump online and I will receive it in a couple of days.

I checked the smell of the oil and it was normal to me.

Guys, if anyone of you has any idea about what other problems may be causing the hard starting please tell me before I change the pump.

Thank you again:halo:
Welp, you've done everything right so far. It's possible that the nylon fuel line could be crimped or something, but that's not very likely. I don't recall what the cadillac fuel sender looks like, but if it's anything like my old camaro, the fuel strainer sleeve could have fallen off, and crap got lodged in the pump. But that'll require a new pump anyways. Keep us posted on your progress.

BeelzeBob
06-04-04, 11:11 PM
If the fuel pressure is only 22-25 while cranking then the fuel pump is the likely problem.

It may be the sock on the inlet of the pump that is cloggged but not likely...you have to drop the tank anyway to change the pump or check the strainer so just have at it.

Inspect the wiring harness on the sending unit before the tank and inside the tank very very carefully for damage and melted wire insulation. It is common for the wires to melt from excessive current draw when the fuel pump is failing and shorting out and drawing too much current. If the damaged wiring is not replaced then you get to drop the tank the second time when the new pump won't run.....