: UUC Flywheel Installed

rangerrob
04-30-08, 09:36 AM
Put in the UUC Flywheel yesterday, (Thanks Randy, Luke, and UUC for all of your help!) And man o man I couldn't be more pleased... revs are much quicker downshifting is much easier, and it sounds sweet! when they said the stock flywheel weighed 50lbs they weren't joking! that sob is heavy as hell... I'll try to get some vid later and post :)

trukk
04-30-08, 09:59 AM
Put in the UUC Flywheel yesterday, (Thanks Randy, Luke, and UUC for all of your help!) And man o man I couldn't be more pleased... revs are much quicker downshifting is much easier, and it sounds sweet! when they said the stock flywheel weighed 50lbs they weren't joking! that sob is heavy as hell... I'll try to get some vid later and post :)

Cool deal Rob. You need to give me a ride at summit.

-Chris

rand49er
04-30-08, 04:12 PM
Good deal, Rob! Glad you got that new insert ... makes that thing just like new. Accelerating through first gear should be a bit more exhilarating ... not to mention, a bit harder on the rear rubber. :thumbsup:

Keys8541
04-30-08, 04:54 PM
how much does the uuc flywheel weigh? and cost?

rangerrob
04-30-08, 05:01 PM
18lbs vs. the +50lb stocker... call Luke @ Lindsay Cadillac, he can hook you up!

RGRATTAN
04-30-08, 05:04 PM
How is the drivability? the heavy stocker makes for great traffic running. I used to have a stang with an aluminum flywheel and that was great but the downside I noticed was that in traffic it made the car a LOT more twitchy and took more effort. I'm assuming that with the V the same should happen. Also, is the UUC wheel billet steel or aluminium?

RGRATTAN
04-30-08, 05:31 PM
What is the cost?

peter simov
04-30-08, 05:43 PM
his car revs like a m5 and sounds bad a$$

Twitch
04-30-08, 06:08 PM
Is it a DIY job?
Its a direct replacement right, no spacers or cutting the bellhousing?

rand49er
04-30-08, 09:29 PM
What is the cost?Check on UUC's website. Something like $475? ... I'm probably wrong, though.

Is it a DIY job?
Its a direct replacement right, no spacers or cutting the bellhousing?Should be a direct replacement with no spacers or cutting anything. If you do the Z06 clutch, then you need a TPIS spacer at $120, and there's a slight notching of the bell housing to accomodate a tube (I think that's what I recall).

DIY? Unless you have a floor jack for the tranny, how much can you bench? :showoff:

JonCR96Z
04-30-08, 10:47 PM
Check on UUC's website. Something like $475? ... I'm probably wrong, though.

Should be a direct replacement with no spacers or cutting anything. If you do the Z06 clutch, then you need a TPIS spacer at $120, and there's a slight notching of the bell housing to accomodate a tube (I think that's what I recall).

DIY? Unless you have a floor jack for the tranny, how much can you bench? :showoff:

Its really not that bad to bench.

CTSV_Rob
05-01-08, 09:42 PM
Did mine myself but I would leave this one to the pro's unless you have a lift. A lighter fly wheel goes on the list of gotta have mods.

Don't ride in his car Chris, you will want one.

Ak Jim
05-02-08, 12:59 AM
I don't do a lot of stop and go driving but I think it is easier with the UUC flywheel. I would pick it as my number one mod!

Ak Jim
05-02-08, 01:00 AM
Hey moderators I renewed my supporting member status the other day and it is not showing up. Thanks.

Keys8541
05-02-08, 07:11 AM
I heard the UUC flywheel makes the car "jerky" as oppose to the stock heavier one that feels more smooth. Im seriously considering the flywheel though if its that big of a difference. Im also not a car junkie so maybe im not understanding how the flywheel would effect the sound. Ive got headers and corsa right now and i dont want to compromise any sound. but a 32 lbs difference is very intersting. I also dont do any installs myself becuase i dont know how, therefore im hoping they dont have to do what they did with my headers and take all day.

rand49er
05-02-08, 07:17 AM
I heard the UUC flywheel makes the car "jerky" as oppose to the stock heavier one that feels more smooth. Im seriously considering the flywheel though if its that big of a difference. Im also not a car junkie so maybe im not understanding how the flywheel would effect the sound. Ive got headers and corsa right now and i dont want to compromise any sound. but a 32 lbs difference is very intersting. I also dont do any installs myself becuase i dont know how, therefore im hoping they dont have to do what they did with my headers and take all day.Headers is a big reason I didn't do it. One side has to come off to install the FW.

Keys8541
05-02-08, 08:11 AM
Headers is a big reason I didn't do it. One side has to come off to install the FW.

Yeah, im not too sure im cool with that. I havent had any problems with my headers so far and i'd be pissed if because of a flywheel mod i started to. This may show how much i know about this stuff, are kooks headers bolted on? or welded? I guess if they are bolted on, and im obviously not doing the work myself then maybe it would be ok.

Twitch
05-02-08, 08:26 AM
Yeah, im not too sure im cool with that. I havent had any problems with my headers so far and i'd be pissed if because of a flywheel mod i started to. This may show how much i know about this stuff, are kooks headers bolted on? or welded? I guess if they are bolted on, and im obviously not doing the work myself then maybe it would be ok.

Bolt on. I guess it would just make the install more expensive.

rangerrob
05-02-08, 09:20 AM
I heard the UUC flywheel makes the car "jerky" as oppose to the stock heavier one that feels more smooth. Im seriously considering the flywheel though if its that big of a difference. Im also not a car junkie so maybe im not understanding how the flywheel would effect the sound. Ive got headers and corsa right now and i dont want to compromise any sound. but a 32 lbs difference is very intersting. I also dont do any installs myself becuase i dont know how, therefore im hoping they dont have to do what they did with my headers and take all day.

no way man it's the total opposite... it is much smoother and i honestly think if the car would've came with this and a short throw shifter everyone would want a V! This would've been a mod i did a long time ago if i knew it made this much of a difference...

Cadillac Tony
05-02-08, 09:29 AM
The car does rev a lot faster and rev match easier with the light flywheel, but you lose some of the "oomph" when shifting from 2nd to 3rd due to the decreased inertia. The car's probably faster since there's less weight spinning on the crank, but it doesn't snap like it used to with the stock flywheel.

It also makes the car a little jerkier when decelerating, but it's not a big deal- just different.

rangerrob
05-02-08, 10:25 AM
...It also makes the car a little jerkier when decelerating, but it's not a big deal- just different.

I noticed decel is smooth along with downshifting and rev matching is a walk in the park... it's an instant difference over stock, has taken a little getting used to, but is well worth every penny and then some! :cloud9:

lollygagger8
07-22-08, 10:47 AM
How hard is this to install?? I can't seem to find any writeups.