: Speaking of Lincolns...

hueterm
04-28-08, 11:12 PM
Has anyone ever driven a '99-02 TC Touring Sedan? Does it drive any differently than a regular TC?

I've always been partial to the "black wood" in these -- I'm sure it's not Bird's Eye Maple or any other kind of wood...but I digress -- and to the relatively monochrome exterior and the trim specific wheels.

They're getting pretty reasonably priced now, and most I've seen have been equipped w/a sunroof.

It's supposed to have some minor suspension differences, I have no idea if they really make for a better ride. I don't really care how well it corners or if it's totally floaty, I just want some semblance of on-center feel...

caddycruiser
04-28-08, 11:37 PM
YES. Touring editions were rare, and significantly firmer than any stock marshmallow TC. If you want a TC but would prefer not to get seasick, the Touring is a great idea if you can find one.

Actually, I have one article with owner's reports where a couple complained that the Touring was too stiff compared to what they thought a TC should be...but you know that's not saying much. It's still a big, heavy, soft car in general.

Hopefully that helps...I have a magazine where they tested a '99 TC Touring specifically, and will try to scan it maybe.

hueterm
04-28-08, 11:57 PM
So then the question is....TC Touring -- or LT1 FWB? I think I know the answers I'll get here, but it's worth asking.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-29-08, 12:31 AM
LT1 FWB. Its got a great ride and will go when you want it to.

Night Wolf
04-29-08, 04:56 AM
Yeah, from what I've gathered, the touring sedan really did firm up the ride and make it a good handler. But, as was mentioned, they are rare.

IIRC, the changes are similar to my car... stiffer springs and shocks, thicker front and rear sway bars, lower profile tires and bigger wheels, low gearing etc.... Makes for a fun, but still quite luxury ride :)

As for TC or FWB, it's really up to you... which looks better inside and outside? which has the features you want? LT1 is quicker stock for stock, but really, either have a potential near endless supply of mods. Both cars have pros and cons... both seem to be equally easy to work on, cheap to maintain and willing to go 300k.... TC has a whole lot more options and toys tho.... still, gotta compare the two and see which you like better.... I did... and I am extremely happy with my decision :).

hueterm
04-29-08, 06:09 AM
Assuming one found a TC one liked, what has to be done to the engine to bump it up to the Police Interceptor level of power? Is it some kind of chip, or is it a more substantial mod?

Night Wolf
04-29-08, 07:00 AM
The quickest way to bump up the 4.6 would be to swap in Proformance Improved (PI) heads, cams and intake... that'll bring it to whatever the PI 4.6 is at.. I think 260hp/310tq? People have said it's around $1k... then headers, underdrive pullies, larger throttle body etc...

Basically any mods for the Mustang SOHC, will go on the Town Car.... and likewaise, any suspension/handling/chassis mods for a Crown Vic will fit the Town Car.

Here is a good example of what some reasonable mods will do... there are people that put turbo or superchargers on them too...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/274907

thebigjimsho
04-29-08, 07:26 AM
And when you look under the hood of a TC, all the extra room screams for forced induction.

96Fleetwood
04-29-08, 08:14 AM
They should have put the 32 valve motor in the Touring sedan, then even I would be interested!

A LT1 with the modifications that gentleman put on his modded TC would be running low 14s easy.

If you want more modern features, go with the Town Car Touring, they are still depreciating while the Fleetwoods of all generations are slowly appreciating.

hueterm
04-29-08, 10:45 AM
That's kind of what I was thinking re: TCT -- the FWBs are just as hard to find in the condition/miles I want, and more $$ and several years older. Plus the front seats of the TC have more room and it's shorter overall and would fit in garage...

Also, more of them have moonroofs and the Alpine stereo would have to be better than whatever is in FWB.

96Fleetwood
04-29-08, 11:16 AM
Wow, they are pretty cheap! I am going to have to find one locally and test drive one, might be my next daily driver until I have enough to buy a newer Cadillac. The looks are far superior to the '93 Cartier TC I had and it appears they can be modded. Hmmm.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-Lincoln-Town-Car-Touring-RWD-Auto-Lthr-Homelink-TC_W0QQitemZ180237665884QQihZ008QQcategoryZ31851QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I just bid on that one, I am the high bidder but reserve not met.

Cadillacboy
04-29-08, 11:20 AM
Not to be a patch on RWD B Body ;)

96Fleetwood
04-29-08, 11:30 AM
http://carad.ebayimg.com/i20/02/a/000/78/57/99b4_4.JPG

You have to love this picture from that 2002 TC Touring ad!

It keeps things in perspective!

Night Wolf
04-29-08, 12:19 PM
They should have put the 32 valve motor in the Touring sedan, then even I would be interested!

A LT1 with the modifications that gentleman put on his modded TC would be running low 14s easy.

If you want more modern features, go with the Town Car Touring, they are still depreciating while the Fleetwoods of all generations are slowly appreciating.

the 32v 4.6 dosen't do well with automatics though.... that was the biggest problem with it in the Mark VIII..... I don't think many original buyers would have opted for a 5 or 6-speed Town Car ;)

the LT1 would be running low 14's with those mods, the 4.6 SOHC is running high 14's..... 5.7 vs 4.6. Either way, it's still pretty darn respectable.

Night Wolf
04-29-08, 12:24 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking re: TCT -- the FWBs are just as hard to find in the condition/miles I want, and more $$ and several years older. Plus the front seats of the TC have more room and it's shorter overall and would fit in garage...

Also, more of them have moonroofs and the Alpine stereo would have to be better than whatever is in FWB.

Would you only be interested in '98+?

My '96 has a 145-watt 9-speaker JBL sound system that I think is pretty darn awesome for a factory 1996 system :)

Either way, yeah, it's not hard at all to find these things in mint shape with low miles.

pretty much ANY Town Car can be modified quite well... engine is shared with the Mustangs, steering/suspension/chassis is shared with the Crown Vic... I've seen all sorts of 80's, 90's and now 00's modded.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-29-08, 02:28 PM
Aside from the black bird's eye maple wood trim, what did the touring edition have over the "plebian" Town Car? I don't see any sort of Center Console/Floor shift/Bucket Seat setup, or even a Tachometer, so it's not as sporty as a DTS.

96Fleetwood
04-29-08, 03:39 PM
Wasn't the 32 valve used in the Marauder? It could easily have been adapted to the Touring Town Car.

I can't find one of these Touring cars locally. I did find a 2000 Cartier with every option. I might go test drive it this weekend...

I just can't believe how bad these cars have depreciated. A dealer near me has a loaded 2003 Cartier for $11,500!! It has 68K miles.

hueterm
04-29-08, 04:18 PM
Aside from the black bird's eye maple wood trim, what did the touring edition have over the "plebian" Town Car? I don't see any sort of Center Console/Floor shift/Bucket Seat setup, or even a Tachometer, so it's not as sporty as a DTS.

AFAIK, different wood, unique wheels, less chrome, tighter suspension

Mark0101
04-29-08, 05:52 PM
Also if you notice the grille is not all chrome. I like how the Touring TC looks. It also has different gearing 3.55 I think.

Night Wolf
04-30-08, 12:53 AM
Wasn't the 32 valve used in the Marauder? It could easily have been adapted to the Touring Town Car.

I can't find one of these Touring cars locally. I did find a 2000 Cartier with every option. I might go test drive it this weekend...

I just can't believe how bad these cars have depreciated. A dealer near me has a loaded 2003 Cartier for $11,500!! It has 68K miles.

Yup, it was used in the Marauder.....

and thats exactly why everyone complains about the Marauder not really reaching full potential.... the 32v doesn't like the automatic. It's a totally different animal infront of a manual trans tho.

These cars depreciate... same as GM/Cadillac... I agree tho, for less then the cost of a brand new Kia Rio, Americas cheapest car, you can get a top of the line Lincoln, which is actually eaiser maintain for the DIY and possibly even cheaper.... but you loose 8 or 10mpg :rolleyes:

The same depreciation is what allowed me to get my nearly fully loaded '96 Signature in great shape Florida-owned shape with 93k for $3,500..... which seems to be what an average '98 Corolla is going for

I covered it in my previous replies.

Lincon wasn't trying to push the Town Car to be a "sporty" rival to the DTS.... thats what the LS was for. What was different cosmetically? IIRC some chrome was painted, different wheels, inside it got a uniqe two-tone leather interior as well as the wood trim.

The biggest differences are what the eye dosen't see tho, the lower gearing, but most notably, the firmer suspension. As I said before... stiffer shocks and springs, and thicking sway bars as well as other goodies.

Town Car didn't get a tach until the 2006? redesugned interior, when they all got them... I agree tho, a tach would be nice... but bucket seats and a floor shifter? so it can be like every other car on the road? Personally that is one of the things that appeals to me about the TC, because it's the last of it's kind.... I don't think I'd even want bucket seats or a floor shifter in a TC.

The Town Car Touring Sedan wasn't set out to change the whole automotive world... it was simply an option package otherwise not normally on such a car. The amount of them sold reflects the amount bought, which really shows the overall demand for them when new, from the original buyer. It isn't a package that screams look at me, and in fact, many people probably have a Touring Sedan TC and don't even know it, other then it may seem to ride a firmer then a normal TC.... sorta like my '96, only way to tell by looking at it is from the wheels, which were normally Cartier-only... otherwise it keeps quiet.... until I want to have fun with it in the corners when it starts to behave unlike any normal Town Car :)