: Playstation 2 hard drive issues

Stoneage_Caddy
05-28-04, 08:24 PM
Anyone have this hard drive thing for ps2 ?

Got it today , came with some final fanstasy game that i have no clue about .

so i get it and the network thingy its supposed to have and install it . I am now 3 hours into the installation , 2 of which was the download/settings/update process . The for the last hour ive been working away with the resigtration part (its as bad as applying for a government job)

after all these hurles cleard i get "system error , try resitering again later"

dirty rotten bastards , ive spent 3 hours just to play with a game i bought and to check out what all the hard drive does , and i cant do it , my machine is theres untill they will let me register the peice of junk

im calling them in a little while , afterwards in boxing the whole thing up takeing it back and getting rid of the playstsation 2 , after seeing my little brothers X-box im am sold on the x-box and will buy one , and never buy another sony product as long as i live . Dirty rotten bastards , all i want to do is play a $%^&ing game !

Go to hell sony !!!!

end vent ...

Msilva954
05-28-04, 09:17 PM
Dont know what your problem is.......are you doing regestering online???? Plain modem or DSL/Cable?

Ive never had that problem....XBOX is better but Im a loyal Sony PS fan.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-28-04, 09:45 PM
i always was too .

just now got it registred , i went and tried to move the ps2 config to the hard drive , evidentally the ps2 doesnt see the drive for config data like time and such

still takes to long to set up , took 5 minutes to get the xbox set up for the little brother , ps2 took 4 hours and 2 telephone calls

i was loyal too but this has really aggriavted me , belive me everything i have right now is "sony" outside my computers

tech support was almost worthless , i had to keep reapeating myself as the love god ont he other end wouldnt listen kept asking "whats your log on " im like i never got that far ...basturds

oh well , now ill figure out what this final fanstay thing is , doesnt look like a raceing game tho .......

i kept hearing about how many cars were going to be in GT4 , thought to myself hey they came out with this drive i bet GT4 will require it

plus i thought i could store music on it like the Xbox ....nope, 40 gigs of nothingness

RBraczyk
05-28-04, 10:20 PM
Xbox is better.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-28-04, 10:28 PM
yup , still resitering , now its the game that needs registering , got that done , now if there server will stay up it will complete its update download (all 1481 files) then a login and a reistration of charcter id and i might see if i can play it . so far its no dice

maybe final fantasy means "it will be the final fantasy you ever have of playing online with a PS2"

Dead Sled
05-28-04, 11:43 PM
Final Fantasy is some RPG, never played it though. X-BOX all the way

Ralph
05-29-04, 04:01 AM
No way man, PS2 all the way! There are more games and the controller isn't like my Grand Marquis, BIG, UGLY, and CUMBERSOME!

p.s. PS3 is coming next year, and it is literally 1,000 times more powerful than the PS2! Lets see the others play catch-up when that arrives :devil:

Msilva954
05-29-04, 10:43 AM
On paper XBOX is much better then PS2 and when playing graphic wise it is better too.....but when im actually playing Id much rather be playin on the PS2 unless I want the best possible graphics and speed for certain fast rate games. GameCube sucks, got it 1 yr ago and so far Ive only played it once....never turned it on again for about 13 months now....lol....PS3 is gonna be great with the new "learning" CPU it is supposed to have. I just dont want to save my lunch money like I did in middle school just to buy it, these prices keep goin higher and higher.......

Oh yea, dont depend on customer service from any large corparation like Sony or Microsoft.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-29-04, 11:31 AM
PS3? damn i needed to do more research before i got the hard drive ...

wonder if thats why there holding off on releseing gt4 , gonna toss it on the ps3.

the game is interesting , i cant do anything with it as i dont understand the game itself. took 6 hours and 6700 files downloaded totoal to get it up and running , and that was with DSL connection

Msilva954
05-30-04, 08:56 AM
That final fantasy game has a monthly charge of $12 if im not mistaken....dont bother with PS3 itll be more then a year, and the price will be at least $300-$500.

RBraczyk
05-30-04, 12:51 PM
No way man, PS2 all the way! There are more games and the controller isn't like my Grand Marquis, BIG, UGLY, and CUMBERSOME!

p.s. PS3 is coming next year, and it is literally 1,000 times more powerful than the PS2! Lets see the others play catch-up when that arrives :devil:
I unlike yourself, find the X-Box controller to fit quite nicely into my hands. Yet again I have man hands and find the PS2 controller to be too small.

Devil_concours
05-30-04, 01:17 PM
x-box is much better than ps2 in everything except for current game selection.
as for controller, they do have smaller controller available.
There is so much more you can do with x-box it's not even funny.
(ie. you can install bigger hard drive, run linux, rip dvds into hard drives as divx, rip mp3s, rip games on the hard drive)
As for xbox2 v ps3, i will probably hold my judgement on that until actual units come out (it looks like microsoft is going to use ati chips instead of nvidia).

Ralph
05-30-04, 10:27 PM
x-box is much better than ps2 in everything except for current game selection.

There is so much more you can do with x-box it's not even funny.

True. The reasons I didn't buy an Xbox was because I already had a lot of games for PS1, and Bill Gates was under the watchful eye of the U.S. government, and I didn't want to buy a system that would become obsolete due to parts of his company being shut down. Games become cheaper for PS2 rapidly, but for Xbox, they seem to stay high for a long time.

PhillyCaddy
05-30-04, 11:42 PM
I perfer PS2 over all the systems out there, but to be honest. I have not played any of them for the last few months. It is all about Call Of Duty on the PC online live play.
anybody play on PC's games.

Devil_concours
05-30-04, 11:50 PM
I perfer PS2 over all the systems out there, but to be honest. I have not played any of them for the last few months. It is all about Call Of Duty on the PC online live play.
anybody play on PC's games.
i do. However, i will be getting ps2 when gt4 comes out.

Blackout
05-31-04, 02:08 AM
I never liked PS2 from the day it arrived. Over priced, graphics should be much better, and it is so limited as to what it can do. The PS2 was out a year or two before X-Box was out and PS2 is just getting their online network up and running and PS2 is damn near obsolete. And then you spend $50 for a new game, you go home and play the shit out of it and your like 1/2 way done and you want to save but uh oh.......your "Memory Card" is full......time to go out to the store and spend $20-30 on a new one so you can save your progress. And what about the disk read error problems they have? I've ha dmy X-box for about a year or two now and I have never had a problem. It took me all of 5 minutes to get my X-Box live setup and I have a free subscription for a year which also came with Mechassault, and the headunit to talk to people with for all of $50. You can burn CD's onto the X-box and with some games if the music sucks then turn it off and put on your music instead. X-Box is superior in every way shape and form. The only thing PS2 has is the Gran Tourismo series other then that they're SOL.

Msilva954
05-31-04, 10:00 AM
XBOX is a computer that hooks up to your TV......more so then a PS2.....Id have to say GameCube stays closest to its roots...but that same concept is what brings everyone to PS2 and XBOX.

Devil_concours
05-31-04, 10:48 AM
XBOX is a computer that hooks up to your TV......more so then a PS2.....Id have to say GameCube stays closest to its roots...but that same concept is what brings everyone to PS2 and XBOX.

you are absolutely correct
modified intel pentium3
modified on board geforce 3
nvidia motherboard
hitachi hard drive
samsung dvd rom

T_Dogg8
05-31-04, 11:47 AM
i like ps2 much better. i've never had a disk read error (in the 4 years i've had my ps2), i've never run out of disk space on my memory card. mainly because i clean out old games i don't want anymore. there are a lot more games and if you wait a couple months you can get the game used or as a greatest hit for 20 bucks. and from what i've seen the regular price is usually cheaper. ps2 games are starting to come out with a 39.95 price unless it's a top game (like madden) but that's just my 2 cents.

Msilva954
05-31-04, 02:04 PM
I too have never had a disk read error....I bought the system at 8:00AM the morning it was released in the US and they even said the early ones had problems....Ive never had any.

Blackout
05-31-04, 03:05 PM
On my X-Box I have 11 CD's burned onto it and over 26 different games saved on there and it says I still have perfect memory. Thats why I love my X-Box!

Devil_concours
05-31-04, 03:12 PM
I too have never had a disk read error....I bought the system at 8:00AM the morning it was released in the US and they even said the early ones had problems....Ive never had any.
i went through 2 ps2 and my roomate in college went through 1. Next door went through 2 as well.

Msilva954
05-31-04, 05:54 PM
I guess I got a lucky one....even after sodering a mod chip in it and having to open the system up again to remove it two years later.

T_Dogg8
06-01-04, 12:18 PM
i bought mine like right after it came out and have had no problems. i guess i got lucky too. my friend had one before i did and he hasn't had any problems. my girl friend's brother, however, had his die after 3 years. but sony replaced it for free within 2 weeks. i was shocked they did anything for him.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-01-04, 01:19 PM
"had his die after 3 years. but sony replaced it for free within 2 weeks. i was shocked they did anything for him."

guess i should have called them , i bet they would have sent me a new cd drive cable , but its gone now .......the 2nd one is still running great

shaggygrosser
06-01-04, 02:26 PM

You're probably thinking of the original Xbox controller that was released when the console launched in 2001. Since then, Microsoft has released the S-controller which is smaller and on-par with the PS2 controller comfort-wise.

I've got an Xbox with 2 S-controllers and 2 original controllers to accommodate any friends who play at my place. No complaints about the controllers.

True, PS2 has more games. But who has a gaming budget to really take advantage of the big gaming library? As impressive as the ps2 library is, I'm more impressed with the flood of quality titles coming out for a console that started from nowhere:
1. Project Gotham Racing 2
2. Rallisport Challenge (1 & 2)
3. Halo (& Halo 2 when that comes out)
4. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (for the RPG nuts out there)
5. Ninja Gaiden
6. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

and the list goes on and on (check gamerankings.com for more). Also, keep an eye out for Forza Motorsport, which might give GT4 a run for the money, but it's too early to say.

Finally, the trump-card..... Xbox Live! No other online service for consoles comes close.

Blackout
06-01-04, 04:27 PM
Finally, the trump-card..... Xbox Live! No other online service for consoles comes close.AMEN TO THAT!!! :worship:

Pimpin_Whity
06-01-04, 05:34 PM
hahahaha....i laugh at u pitiful console folk :histeric:

250gigs of space, 2.8p4, 1gig of ram, radeon 9800pro and a wireless X-Box controller. plus all of that hoocked up to a 42" plasma through a DB15 connector. i'm trying to get my friend to give me his fighting games so i can burn them to my hard drive and play them through an emulator. plus computer always had better fps, rpg, rts and racing games than consoles. it's the fighting we lack.

i just love making fun of console users :lildevil:

shaggygrosser
06-01-04, 06:35 PM

250gigs of space, 2.8p4, 1gig of ram, radeon 9800pro and a wireless X-Box controller. plus all of that hoocked up to a 42" plasma through a DB15 connector. i'm trying to get my friend to give me his fighting games so i can burn them to my hard drive and play them through an emulator. plus computer always had better fps, rpg, rts and racing games than consoles. it's the fighting we lack.

I used to be the same way as you, PC hardcore. Then somewhere along the way, I got lazy about upgrading hardware and updating drivers.
Also, since my brother already had an Xbox in Iowa, I decided to get one too so we can duke it out on Xbox live. It's a cool way to hang out even though we're 500 miles apart.

You're right about fighting games though, the consoles have Soul Calibur II goodness.

Devil_concours
06-01-04, 06:45 PM

i got you beat in hardware except 42"plasma.
:devil:

Pimpin_Whity
06-01-04, 06:48 PM
i got you beat in hardware except 42"plasma.
:devil:
my comp is 1 year old though :(

Msilva954
06-01-04, 09:44 PM
Yea, I used to be PC all the way then got sooooo damn tired of upgrading....now the PC is basically school and internet....while the consoles get the privlige of gaming. I use a DVD player to watch DVD's.

Ralph
06-02-04, 02:12 AM
You're probably thinking of the original Xbox controller that was released when the console launched in 2001. Since then, Microsoft has released the S-controller which is smaller and on-par with the PS2 controller comfort-wise.

I've got an Xbox with 2 S-controllers and 2 original controllers to accommodate any friends who play at my place. No complaints about the controllers.

True, PS2 has more games. But who has a gaming budget to really take advantage of the big gaming library? As impressive as the ps2 library is, I'm more impressed with the flood of quality titles coming out for a console that started from nowhere:
1. Project Gotham Racing 2
2. Rallisport Challenge (1 & 2)
3. Halo (& Halo 2 when that comes out)
4. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (for the RPG nuts out there)
5. Ninja Gaiden
6. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

and the list goes on and on (check gamerankings.com for more). Also, keep an eye out for Forza Motorsport, which might give GT4 a run for the money, but it's too early to say.

Finally, the trump-card..... Xbox Live! No other online service for consoles comes close.

I'm sure the XBOX is good.

I don't buy more than one gaming system, therefore I have enough to buy used 10 dollar PS2 games. Anyone can afford that. XBOX games are not cheap here, and they tend to stay above 50 dollars when a two month PS2 game is $29.95. Plus, Sony has their "Greatest Hits" series, so you know you are getting a quality game for the price. My friend bought an XBOX, Cube, and a PS2 and he doesn't have enough for games! :cookoo: My better-half made me keep my PS1 because I have all the Tomb Raider games and the "Angel of Darkness" for PS2, which she likes to play once in a while, and she won't let me sell the Ps1 or those games. As far as I know, the Tomb Raider series is only available for the Playstations and PC. So I'm happy with it. The only disc read error I experienced was with a DVD movie, and it was because I bought a used PS2 and the previous owner set the stupid parental code or whatever for restricted movies, so I had to buy a DVD player just for movies. This didn't bother me to much because I bought the PS2 for games only.

Unless XBOX offers games like Tomb Raider, Vice City, Need For Speed series, Medal of Honour, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil series, State of Emergency, Duke Nukem, I am more than satisfied with Sony until PS3 arrives in 2005.

Blackout
06-02-04, 07:31 AM
I'm sure the XBOX is good.

I don't buy more than one gaming system, therefore I have enough to buy used 10 dollar PS2 games. Anyone can afford that. XBOX games are not cheap here, and they tend to stay above 50 dollars when a two month PS2 game is $29.95. Plus, Sony has their "Greatest Hits" series, so you know you are getting a quality game for the price. My friend bought an XBOX, Cube, and a PS2 and he doesn't have enough for games! :cookoo: My better-half made me keep my PS1 because I have all the Tomb Raider games and the "Angel of Darkness" for PS2, which she likes to play once in a while, and she won't let me sell the Ps1 or those games. As far as I know, the Tomb Raider series is only available for the Playstations and PC. So I'm happy with it. The only disc read error I experienced was with a DVD movie, and it was because I bought a used PS2 and the previous owner set the stupid parental code or whatever for restricted movies, so I had to buy a DVD player just for movies. This didn't bother me to much because I bought the PS2 for games only.

Unless XBOX offers games like Tomb Raider, Vice City, Need For Speed series, Medal of Honour, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil series, State of Emergency, Duke Nukem, I am more than satisfied with Sony until PS3 arrives in 2005.You do know that you can get rid of your PS1 because PS2 plays PS1 with a graphics system on it that actually makes the games look better then on the PS1. And X-Box does have a few of those games out for it. They have Vice City, Need for Speed games, Medal of Honor games, they have a Metal Gear Solid game, they have resident evil games, they have state of emergency, and I dunno about Duke Nukem but I think those games suck so I could really careless if X-Box has them or not

Pimpin_Whity
06-02-04, 08:29 AM
but most importantly X-Box has Halo and the upcoming Halo 2 :worship:

shaggygrosser
06-02-04, 12:25 PM
Plus, Sony has their "Greatest Hits" series, so you know you are getting a quality game for the price.

Xbox followed suit with their "Platinum Series" releases. After a game has been out long enough and sold enough copies, it gets sold for $19.99US.

You're right though about picking up good games for a budget price under the "Greatest Hits" and "Platinum Series" banner. It's a good way to revisit classics.

But on the topic, it crazy to hear about the hassle of the external harddrive for the PS2. Are there any games outside of Final Fantasy that take advantage of the new drive? It'd be cool if they had a way to rip music to the harddrive and turn the PS2 into a jukebox.

Blackout
06-02-04, 01:00 PM
but most importantly X-Box has Halo and the upcoming Halo 2 :worship:Halo 2 is going to kick so much ass! On X-Box live they're bumping up the amount of people who can play in a single arena at one time. How about this......they are aiming for a minimum of 62 people playing at one time! Can you say these arena's are going to be friggin' huge!? :bouncy:

Pimpin_Whity
06-02-04, 03:14 PM
Halo 2 is going to kick so much ass! On X-Box live they're bumping up the amount of people who can play in a single arena at one time. How about this......they are aiming for a minimum of 62 people playing at one time! Can you say these arena's are going to be friggin' huge!? :bouncy:cant wait for the PC version, but 62 people doesn't beat Joint Ops 120 per map :worship: (wich is usually so huge, u need a heli to get to the enemy base :bonkers: )

shaggygrosser
06-02-04, 04:29 PM
Halo 2 is going to kick so much ass! On X-Box live they're bumping up the amount of people who can play in a single arena at one time. How about this......they are aiming for a minimum of 62 people playing at one time! Can you say these arena's are going to be friggin' huge!? :bouncy:

I heard that game hosting would be distributed over 2-4 xboxes at a time to handle that number of players, but that was just heresy while I was chatting it up on Live.

Halo 2 sounds like it'll be insanity. Nov 9th, mark it on your calendar if you haven't already, Blackout.

Blackout
06-02-04, 05:38 PM
I heard that game hosting would be distributed over 2-4 xboxes at a time to handle that number of players, but that was just heresy while I was chatting it up on Live.

Halo 2 sounds like it'll be insanity. Nov 9th, mark it on your calendar if you haven't already, Blackout.I already made my reserve payment for it at Game Stop, and my head unit for X-Box live just waiting to get used for it!

Pimpin_Whity
06-02-04, 10:01 PM
does anyone know if they're going to mix X-Box Live and PC multiplayer? that would be really cool.

Ralph
06-03-04, 01:56 AM
You do know that you can get rid of your PS1 because PS2 plays PS1 with a graphics system on it that actually makes the games look better then on the PS1. And X-Box does have a few of those games out for it. They have Vice City, Need for Speed games, Medal of Honor games, they have a Metal Gear Solid game, they have resident evil games, they have state of emergency, and I dunno about Duke Nukem but I think those games suck so I could really careless if X-Box has them or not

Duke Nukem was a revolutionary game for ps1, so bite your tongue and bow your head. :p "Planet of the Babes" I rest my case! :lildevil:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the reason I can't get rid of my ps1 is because she needs the Gameshark for things like infinite O2 while swimming, infinite med packs, etc. (Tomb Raider) The Shark for the ps1 does not fit on the ps2 because there is no port for it!! When I called Sony to ask why the Shark would not fit anywhere, they proceeded to give me shyte because it was not one of THEIR products, and "it could damage my consule." :rolleyes2 I'm afraid I haven't played on the net against others, but DAMN it sounds cool. Quake would be fun on the net, and I had a buddy who used to do that years ago. I just prefer the controllers for the Playstations.

Didn't know X supported Vice City, etc, but remember who had it first. ;)

Blackout
06-03-04, 07:42 AM
Didn't know X supported Vice City, etc, but remember who had it first. ;)PS2 came out with Vice City, X-Box made it look better

Pimpin_Whity
06-03-04, 08:44 AM
PS2 came out with Vice City, X-Box made it look betterand who made it even better? that's righ, PC did :coolgleam
and we have multiplayer for VC :worship:

Blackout
06-03-04, 01:19 PM
and who made it even better? that's righ, PC did :coolgleam
and we have multiplayer for VC :worship:for a top of the line computer to play a brand new game to its fullest capabilities is a lot more then $1000. So with saving myself $800+ for the X-Box verison to have "better graphics" I'm happy enough with the X-Box verison. But why did they make it multiplayer? What could you do in the game that is multiplayer?

Pimpin_Whity
06-03-04, 05:54 PM
for a top of the line computer to play a brand new game to its fullest capabilities is a lot more then $1000. So with saving myself $800+ for the X-Box verison to have "better graphics" I'm happy enough with the X-Box verison. But why did they make it multiplayer? What could you do in the game that is multiplayer?
i agree, but you need a computer anyway so might as well make it a good one. as for multiplayer, you go around killing other people (don't know if the promised capture the flag game is out now?)

Devil_concours
06-04-04, 12:19 AM
my comp is 1 year old though :(
http://premium.uploadit.org/ph00ny/IMG_0115.jpg
http://premium.uploadit.org/ph00ny/IMG_0114.jpg
http://premium.uploadit.org/ph00ny/HPIM1216.JPG
http://premium.uploadit.org/ph00ny/HPIM1218.JPG
AMD xp 2500+(1.83ghz) @2.7ghz
4 250gb sata in raid 0
ati radeon 9800 aiw (i have a spare 9800xt in another machine)

> all of your gaming rigs.

Msilva954
06-04-04, 07:44 AM
COUGH COUGH looser COUGH COUGH...........................just playin.

Devil_concours
06-04-04, 08:47 AM
COUGH COUGH looser COUGH COUGH...........................just playin.
cough cough i spend way too much money on toys cough cough

Pimpin_Whity
06-04-04, 08:50 AM
nice rig u got Devil_concours. i'm not a big fan of clear case windows but that looks cool. i have a green alienware area51

http://www.alienware.com/Images/Prod_Info_Img/cases/configurator_cases/v3_prd_configurator_cyborg_green.jpg

Devil_concours
06-04-04, 10:24 AM
nice rig u got Devil_concours. i'm not a big fan of clear case windows but that looks cool. i have a green alienware area51

http://www.alienware.com/Images/Prod_Info_Img/cases/configurator_cases/v3_prd_configurator_cyborg_green.jpg
http://www.mountainmods.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?item=U2UFOBCWGRB
that's the case i have.
i also have enough comp in the house to have a decent size multiplayer game going

Pimpin_Whity
06-04-04, 10:37 AM
i thought that was two computers next to each other :bighead:

shaggygrosser
06-04-04, 11:55 AM
http://www.mountainmods.com/cgi-bin/product.pl?item=U2UFOBCWGRB
that's the case i have.
i also have enough comp in the house to have a decent size multiplayer game going

:bighead: That case costs more than the upgrades I'm planning for my PC!

I've got 4 computers (3 PCs, 1 laptop) that can get a decent multiplayer game going... of STARCRAFT :rolleyes:

Told ya, I got lazy w/ upgrades.

Devil_concours
06-04-04, 12:59 PM
:bighead: That case costs more than the upgrades I'm planning for my PC!

I've got 4 computers (3 PCs, 1 laptop) that can get a decent multiplayer game going... of STARCRAFT :rolleyes:

Told ya, I got lazy w/ upgrades.
you guys will have plenty of time to catch up since all my money is going into my car.

Dead Sled
06-04-04, 02:22 PM
:p "Planet of the Babes" I rest my case! :lildevil:

thats a softcore porn i rented at a hotel party once :D it was really bad too :helpless:

:lildevil:

X-Box

Msilva954
06-04-04, 09:47 PM
cough cough i spend way too much money on toys cough cough

After seeing that Case I defiently believe that....and I thought $100 was alot for a case. :bonkers:

Devil_concours
06-04-04, 09:54 PM
After seeing that Case I defiently believe that....and I thought $100 was alot for a case. :bonkers:
yep. I got a spare lian-li aluminum case just siting in my closet as well as few shuttle sff upstairs and downstairs and few fully built gaming rigs.