: Any possible options to fix this engine noise?

SarendsCaddy
04-28-08, 01:35 AM
I have a '93 STS with the 4.6 Northstar and I am already pricing a rebuilt engine for it cause im almost sure thats what it needs but I would like to know if maybe this could be something that I could have fixed without spending 5K on the motor exchange. I am hearing a rattling that isnt consistent in the top end of the motor. It is pretty loud and it is like a rattling/popping noise, but when I listen to the exaust there is no miss and it sounds like its running fine and hitting on all 8 cylinders. Its not overheating either. It almost sounds like something in the top of the motor has come apart of something but I just looked at it as worst case senario so im pricing motors. Please let me know if there is something I should know about this. Maybe I wont have to go through all this and I can just repair the motor I have.

chubbyranger
04-28-08, 07:39 AM
A few threads on top engine noise lately. Read/listen here and see if anything is similar to yours

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/137959-lifter-cam-valve-issue-sounds-like.html