: Locking Gas Cap

Palomar9
04-28-08, 12:11 AM
Can anyone recommend a good quality locking gas cap for 07 Escalade? Either a local store or internet source. It would really be nice if the cap can be unlocked with the ignition key. Does GM make one that works that way? I see the gasoline thieves are making a profit out of stealing fuel now. What a stoopid thing to risk your life for! But if you shoot him, you may put a hole in your own gas tank and go to jail on top of it.

hcvone
04-28-08, 09:09 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120218772215

Palomar9
05-04-08, 01:09 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120218772215

Well, my $35 ebay gas cap arrived and it turned out to be a Stant #11511 that you can get at Pep Boys for $15 plus tax. He includes a "tether" that will pull off with the slightest tug and a "caddy" that may or may not hold the cap. Plus "free" shipping. You need two hands to get the cap off: one to turn the key and the other to twist the cap. Otherwise, the cap does work properly and it does lock in place without using the key. It's not what I had in mind but it will do, I suppose.

hcvone
05-05-08, 08:24 AM
Well that sucks, I just saw them listed and posted the info, surprised that the GM part upgrade site didn't have a locking cap listed.

Palomar9
05-07-08, 01:56 PM
Well that sucks, I just saw them listed and posted the info, surprised that the GM part upgrade site didn't have a locking cap listed.

No problem, Carl. I appreciate that you checked ebay for me. It's unfortunate that this particular vendor deliberately concealed the make/model of the cap knowing full well that it's available in stores everywhere for half of his asking price. He said it's worth the extra charge because he "did the research for me"??!! Wow. People go to ebay looking for bargains, not ripoffs.

Anyway, this cap will do until I find something better, i.e., unlocks via ignition key, has a sturdy tether like OEM, and one-handed operation.