: Coolant type HELP!!!!

JSMeloche
05-28-04, 03:24 PM
I purchased a 95 STS 7 month ago. I have change all the liquids to make sure i was up to date.
But when it came to the coolant the guy at Mr Lube told me the car was supposed to be filled with long life coolant (red stuff) but it was the regular one in the car (green stuff).

So he replace the green stuff with the red stuff. Is this ok? I know the 95 N* is prone to headgasket failure if the coolant is not properly maintain. Yes the guy putted the GM supplement tablet BUT he putted them in the surge tank, I know this isn't good.
What should i do?
Flush the red stuff and put back the green stuff???
Red stuff is good just put more tablet in the hose NOT the tank??? Should I replace the coolant as if it was regular coolant since most of its life the car had regular coolant???

Anthony Cipriano
05-28-04, 04:50 PM
They didn't do you any favors, did they? Your 95 is supposed to have the green, conventional coolant in it. Putting the DexCool in it will not ruin anything but you cannot depend on the long life formulation to work. It will need to be replaced frequently as if it were the green, conventional coolant.

Putting the coolant pellets into the surge tank was not a good idea. I would empty the surge tank with a turkey baster and flush it with clean water. You can then drain the tank at the bottom hose and refill with fresh 50/50 mix. Install new supplement into the radiator hose as described.

At this point, the coolant will have to be changed regularily whether you keep the DexCool or revert back to the green, conventional stuff. I think I would just stick with the DexCool and change it several times by simply draining and refilling with fresh 50/50 premix to make sure the sytem is purged of all the green stuff.

It would also be a good idea to check the coolant concentration with a refractometer to make sure they installed the correct strength of coolant mix. It should be 50/50 or good to -40 degrees for freeze protection. This is important for anti-boiling protection as well as the correct corrosion protection. Have it checked with a refractometer, not a simple hydrometer with the floating balls. Those are notoriously inaccurate.

eldorado1
05-28-04, 04:51 PM
Can't help ya anywhere else, but at the very least you're gonna need to clean out the surge tank. It's probably got all kindsa gunk in it now.

JSMeloche
05-29-04, 12:33 PM
Thanks all! now i know what i am going to do today :S
The guy did not even knew that i needed the supplement. I checked my owner manual and sure enough it needed tablets.

eldorado1
05-29-04, 12:37 PM
Just out of curiosity, what year did they switch to dexcool?

Anthony Cipriano
05-30-04, 01:22 AM
Just out of curiosity, what year did they switch to dexcool?
GM went to DexCool in all models at the start of the 96 model year.

remas1974
05-30-04, 01:52 PM
Hi Guys,
What is the supplement tablets you are talking about?
Please tell me:rolleyes2

JSMeloche
05-31-04, 08:17 AM
DAMNIT!!! the car started overheating this weekend. I think there is a problem with the Thermostat. Whenever the engine runs it will heat up until it overheats, pops an error message at 126 degree and tells me to idle the engine, but idling won't do anything to cool down.

Ive check the fan, they work. and the coolant level is fine. Do you think this could be caused by the supplement tablet clogging the surge tank? Or maybee a good chunk of "goo" from the surge tank is blocking the thermostat.

JSMeloche
05-31-04, 02:44 PM
Finally my overheating is caused by a bad water pump belt. I hope this will cure my baby!

Anthony Cipriano
06-01-04, 03:47 PM
Hi Guys,
What is the supplement tablets you are talking about?
Please tell me:rolleyes2

Go to the search feature in the forum tool bar above and type in "coolant supplement" into the drop down box for the topic. There's plenty to read about. :)