Zertec
Benadrhyl

Sprays:
Nasacort

Drops:
Patenol
Naphcon

Nothing works, the drops give me some relief but its brief
The runny nose i can deal with but my eyes hurt so much and get so red and bloodshot, i can barley see...
Anyone have any suggestions on what else to try/take?
Doctors have suggested all the above and thus far nothing has worked and im quite frankly can barley function....

Spyder
04-26-08, 09:37 PM
Alaska.

Just ask Dkoz.

CadillacSTS42005
04-26-08, 09:46 PM
oh believe me
thats on my list
along with using a spoon to gouge my eyes out...

dkozloski
04-26-08, 10:18 PM
Were coming up on the pollen season. I'd recommend Antarctica.

CadillacSTS42005
04-26-08, 10:20 PM
lol
besides relocating
can anyone recommend a med that MAY work....

c5 rv
04-26-08, 10:55 PM
Try an approach other than meds. I've had allergies for decades and tried most all the meds. I find that they work best if I don't normally rely on meds, but use them infrequently in small doses for really bad attacks.

Think about your diet. Aside from water, whatever you eat / crave most, cut way back on. You often crave what you have an allergy or sensitivity to. I have to watch my dairy intake. I've also found that my allergies are additive - a bunch of smaller irritants can add up and push my symptoms over the edge. If I eliminate any one of the irritants, I can usually greatly lessen my symptoms.

Good luck.

CadillacSTS42005
04-27-08, 12:40 AM
though about that
but unless im allergic to chicken and beef then thats not it
i went one day on just water and that didnt seem to help
i actually started looking at immunotherapy
i think that will be my next step

MauiV
04-27-08, 01:37 AM
Stay away from here. My hometown of Lexington was named worst city in the US for allergies again this year (3rd time in 4 years sI believe).

My car is covered in yellow pollen before I can pull it into the garage after a wash. HUGE thunderstorm went through here last night and at 11 am everything on my deck was yellow.

Sounds like you need one of those heavy duty air cleaners/hepa filters for the house and dont go outside.

derrty_deville
04-27-08, 04:32 AM
Plan A

http://www.reelingreviews.com/bubbleboypic.jpg

Or Plan B

http://www.reelingreviews.com/bubbleboypic.jpg

Your choice.:run:

Thomas Carey
04-27-08, 05:17 AM
Mucinex D I have the same issue you do. Seems to me in the winter you need to stay off any of those pills for 30 days. Go get tested to see what you are allergic to and get started on a customized shot.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

96Fleetwood
04-27-08, 10:02 AM
Exactly, go see an allergist. They can test exactly what is causing your reactions and give more advanced therapy than drugs.

minnesotamom
04-27-08, 10:17 AM
some people swear by this..but honestly, I've never tried it (even though my allergies are pretty bad right now)

But go to a local natural foods store and find raw honey that has been locally produced. The theory is that it acts sort of like immunizations do..because it's made with pollen from plants in your area.

I know people who use it for that and swear it works...so if you like honey, it wouldn't hurt to try. A lot of times places like that also have tons of information on other natural remedies to try.

dkozloski
04-27-08, 11:24 AM
You might be OK in Anchorage. They just got two feet of fresh snow.

CadillacSTS42005
04-27-08, 12:50 PM
immunization is the next step
my neighbor (a doctor) just prescribed me roids to get me through finals week

dkozloski
04-27-08, 01:10 PM
immunization is the next step
my neighbor (a doctor) just prescribed me roids to get me through finals week
Prednisone and the like is just about the nastiest stuff you can put in your body. Only take the absolute minimum that will get the job done and get off of the stuff as quickly as you can.

CadillacSTS42005
04-27-08, 01:13 PM
yea
i dont feel like having tits....
i dont think ill get addicted or anything, im just looking forward to being able to open my eyes without wanting to perform a biopsy on them...

CadillacGurl
04-27-08, 03:21 PM
I told you, you can come to Chicago its gonna snow tomorrow here :gah:

But yeah guys I feel really bad for Jay. As he said he looks like he's stoned thats how red his eyes are. He stands over the humidifier constantly... poor kid :( sadly the back massages aren't working.... he puts a cold wash cloth over his eyes and goes through about 2 boxes of tissues a day... he barely sleeps at night, he napped most of the time I got to see him this weekend (which is fine, I did my math homework and did water runs for him when his glass got empty)

gary88
04-27-08, 04:15 PM

:arghh:

CadillacSTS42005
04-27-08, 04:20 PM
i...
love...
snow...

eyekandyboats.inc
04-27-08, 04:40 PM
go have surgery.
My dad had terrible allergies, in the fall in the morning he woke up, got up and then fell over. he has a anurism and two hear valves shut.
rushed to hospital. quad by pass two stints ( w/e they are called) and buy the time he was out of the hospital it was spring time.... right about now 5 years ago and he has not had allergies since.
used to take every pill every drug in the book for it. but now all of a sudden out of the hospital he has never blows his nose due to anything like that.
crazy

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-27-08, 09:10 PM

It's snowing in Minneapolis now. Shoot me.

gary88
04-27-08, 09:22 PM
Usually when I'm congested and feeling like poop, I take Sudafed. Seems to get the job done for awhile.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-27-08, 09:57 PM
I hear cocaine is a good decongestant.

gary88
04-27-08, 10:08 PM
Only when you have a pile big enough to motorboat

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-27-08, 10:48 PM
How would you motorboat cocaine? Maybe you could use the cocaine to pick up women which to motorboat with.

gary88
04-27-08, 11:04 PM
How would you motorboat cocaine? Maybe you could use the cocaine to pick up women which to motorboat with.

Put your face in it and proceed to make boat-like sounds while shaking your head rapidly from side to side :thumbsup:

dkozloski
04-27-08, 11:09 PM
Amphetimines were marketed as decongestants many years ago. Benzedrine inhalers were one example. After it was determined that they fried your brains their use was greatly curtailed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzedrine

DILLIGAF
04-27-08, 11:38 PM
some people swear by this..but honestly, I've never tried it (even though my allergies are pretty bad right now)

But go to a local natural foods store and find raw honey that has been locally produced. The theory is that it acts sort of like immunizations do..because it's made with pollen from plants in your area.

I know people who use it for that and swear it works...so if you like honey, it wouldn't hurt to try. A lot of times places like that also have tons of information on other natural remedies to try.Perfect advise!!!!!!!!!!!Eat the local honey,also eat the bee polon.And yes it's wierd and expensive.I have bad alergies too,I do the honey and polon and use the Naphcon drops for my eyes and feel normal most of the time.

CadillacSTS42005
04-27-08, 11:43 PM
go have surgery.
My dad had terrible allergies, in the fall in the morning he woke up, got up and then fell over. he has a anurism and two hear valves shut.
rushed to hospital. quad by pass two stints ( w/e they are called) and buy the time he was out of the hospital it was spring time.... right about now 5 years ago and he has not had allergies since.
used to take every pill every drug in the book for it. but now all of a sudden out of the hospital he has never blows his nose due to anything like that.
crazy

theres a surgery for it as well?
i didnt find anything on that only the immunotherapy where they find what your allergic to and inject you with it so you build up an immunity....

CadillacSTS42005
04-27-08, 11:44 PM
Perfect advise!!!!!!!!!!!Eat the local honey,also eat the bee polon.And yes it's wierd and expensive.I have bad alergies too,I do the honey and polon and use the Naphcon drops for my eyes and feel normal most of the time.

finding the honey has proven an issue
apparently giant eagle *the huge local supermarket* doesnt carry it...
ill have to make some calls tomorrow

dkozloski
04-28-08, 02:14 AM
Go to the local hippy, greeny, healthfood store.

aamusls06
04-28-08, 02:46 AM
i work for the forest service, and i have real bad allergies. i mean when i wake up in the morning i can't breathe due to my sinuses acting up. my eyes hurt and my ears itch. i've honestly figured out being in the woods helps me. seems like i have started building an immunity to the pollen.

other than that, pray for a good soaking rain. i've heard of the honey remedies. this actually helps. also, the old folks say that with age this gets better which also seems to be true.

dkozloski
04-28-08, 04:00 AM
My best friend was plagued by allergies for years. He found that certain brands of beer made them much worse. It turns out that beers contain histamines of various types and levels. I don't know what brand he settled on as giving him the least trouble, Corona maybe. But he also eventually grew out of the allergies. Next time I'll ask him what the deal is on the beer.

http://www.aaaai.org/patients/advocate/2006/winter/wineandbeer.asp

ewill3rd
04-28-08, 09:22 AM
When I lived in MO I developed allergies worse than anyone else's I have ever seen, short of hospitalization.
My nose ran like a river, my sneezes were so frequent and powerful I'd end up with severe cramping in my chest and arms.
My eyes itched so bad I just wanted to dig them out.
I'd go home and sit at night in the A/C with wet cloths over my eyes.

When I moved to CA they all but went away, doc said it was just because of a new set of allergens my body hadn't gotten used to yet.
Here they are fairly mild. I think my real allergy is some type of midwestern grass that kills me when it gets to a certain stage of growth, late spring early summer is when I would get hit.

I was one summer away from going to a doctor for a screening and some real treatment.
If I develop them here I will definitely go, no way I am dealing with that again... ever.

I used to take a pill in high school that worked if I took one every night before bed, it was a prescription but I forget what it was.
I have used "triaminicin" on a daily basis in the past but you can't get it anymore. It worked as a once a day medication too. (with minor exception)
Sudafed is worthless to me, might as well eat M&M's. Benadryl puts me on the floor, so do some other meds.
My ENT out in CA gave me Flonase and it worked great, best I ever felt. Is that prescription only?

I feel your pain though.
The tree pollen here is about to go crazy, raining a lot this spring and when the trees are going like they are everything around has a coating of yellow dust on it every day!

CadillacGurl
04-28-08, 11:15 AM

Did you check the organic section since that's technically "raw honey"....?? If you want I'll look for some here and bring it to you on Friday...

Submariner409
04-28-08, 12:01 PM
:rolleyes: Go to your local nursery (or a knowledgeable friend) and get a large handful of Southern Gentleman (NOT peppermint) mint sprouts. On the way home, stop at the local liquor store and buy a fifth of Evan Williams bourbon.
In a quart Mason jar, thoroughly hand crush the mint leaves and fill with bourbon. Allow to stand, covered, for 6 hours. Using a slotted spoon, remove all mint leaves, and then dissolve 4 heaping tablespoons of 10x confectioner's sugar in the resulting tea. Close with a temporary Mason jar cap and place in the freezer overnight, along with 2 sterling silver julep cups. Next afternoon, after 5 o'clock, crush sufficient ice to pack both cups. Gently fill with the bourbon syrup. Garnish with a mint sprig. (If you use white cotton gloves to prevent fingerprints on the cups, they will cover with 1/8" of white frost. Very elegant)

2 of those and allergies won't matter.........

AMGoff
04-28-08, 12:57 PM
:rolleyes: Go to your local nursery (or a knowledgeable friend) and get a large handful of Southern Gentleman (NOT peppermint) mint sprouts. On the way home, stop at the local liquor store and buy a fifth of Evan Williams bourbon.
In a quart Mason jar, thoroughly hand crush the mint leaves and fill with bourbon. Allow to stand, covered, for 6 hours. Using a slotted spoon, remove all mint leaves, and then dissolve 4 heaping tablespoons of 10x confectioner's sugar in the resulting tea. Close with a temporary Mason jar cap and place in the freezer overnight, along with 2 sterling silver julep cups. Next afternoon, after 5 o'clock, crush sufficient ice to pack both cups. Gently fill with the bourbon syrup. Garnish with a mint sprig. (If you use white cotton gloves to prevent fingerprints on the cups, they will cover with 1/8" of white frost. Very elegant)

2 of those and allergies won't matter.........

That's too funny... While not quite as elegant, I was just thinking that a couple stiff shots of Old Granddad would be more than sufficient to cure any allergy related woes.

As far as the allergies themselves go... they tend to run in 7 year cycles for most people. I know when I was younger (throughout most of my teens) I was especially sensitive to pollen... my sinuses would swell up, my eyes would get all red and itchy - I was a grade-A mess, especially during the spring time. But by the time I got into my twenties, they just stopped... seemingly over the course of one season. My nose might get a little runny every now and then, but that's basically if someone blows a huge pile of pollen right into my face!

Just to highlight how absurd and random allergies can be... I'm all fine and dandy with any seasonal allergies, but about 5-6 summers ago, I was housing a bucket of blue crab and before I knew it, the wife came over to ask if I was okay... my face had broken into a big rash and the next day my head looked like a tomato!

So needless to say, the only seafood I can have now is fish... and that sucks because, A - there are only a few types of fish I actually like the taste of, and B - I grew up along the Delaware Bay, so as some can realize (Submariner especially), various types of shellfish were a staple food during the summers as far back as I can remember. I can only hope that such an allergy goes as quickly and quietly as it came... because I'm really getting tired of eating burgers and dogs at summer cookouts... lol!

dkozloski
04-28-08, 01:48 PM
Man is made in the image of God. God doesn't have allergies, therefore man doesn't have allergies. You've just been thinking evil thoughts.

CadillacGurl
04-28-08, 11:28 PM
Man is made in the image of God. God doesn't have allergies, therefore man doesn't have allergies. You've just been thinking evil thoughts.

:lol: or doing evil deeds....

MauiV
04-29-08, 02:47 PM
sadly the back massages aren't working....

Must be doing it wrong. My back massage ALWAYS works :lildevil:

ewill3rd
04-29-08, 10:20 PM
Now how could a young man in PA with a lovely young girlfriend brought up in Catholic school be involved in any "evil deeds"???? :lol:

Submariner409
04-29-08, 10:42 PM
Post #37, para.4: "There is nothing quite so satisfying as a dozen Chesapeake Bay raw oysters." (...to paraphrase Mole).

......or banging on a half bushel of #1 Jimmies while chasing with a half dozen Bud longnecks and Old Bay.......

CadillacGurl
04-30-08, 12:11 AM
Now how could a young man in PA with a lovely young girlfriend brought up in Catholic school be involved in any "evil deeds"???? :lol:

Lol doesn't that sounds familiar in relation to your life?? :bouncy: