: removing roof rack

spaceguy
04-26-08, 05:35 PM
I have an 07 EXT. I'd like to remove the roof rack. Any instructions on how to do this? I looked at it today and there must be some trick to remove the end caps and then unbolt it from the roof. Thanks!

Dif
04-26-08, 09:22 PM
I have an 07 EXT. I'd like to remove the roof rack. Any instructions on how to do this? I looked at it today and there must be some trick to remove the end caps and then unbolt it from the roof. Thanks!
I wanted to remove Only the Slats on mine for Winter to remove roof snow easier.
Dealer Service Manager said the endcaps have tangs molded into the shape that hold/snap them on.
To remove them, they Squeeze the endcap ( which is Plastic ) to release the tangs and they should just pop off.
Not quite that simple though :thehand:

Service didn't want to do it saying the tabs always break.
New end caps don't come in different colors to match the vehicle and need to be Painted.
I said forget it.

I have tried to squeeze the end caps myself on a Hot day thinking the plastic would be soft making it easier to squeeze.
No Luck. Very Hard to squeeze them and didn't want to use more force by using Pliers or something and end up breaking them.

You might find it easier than I did.
And if you don't plan on putting the roof rack back on then you might not care if the tangs break, but that's how they're supposed to come off.
Good Luck and Hope this helps.

jdc
04-28-08, 08:08 PM
I too want the slats gone. I will never use them and it sucks to wash and wax around them never mind the low speed buffet you experience with the roof open.
I will find a good way to do this. I have only had the vehicle 10 days.:

bomdy
04-29-08, 07:00 AM
They come off easily, just like the member b4 stated u have to squeeze and then pull back, or find a plastic pop tool, (like the one you would use to remove the dash) I used a screw driver in one and the plastic sorta bent on me but it didn't break. I did mines since I had to remove and replace the chrome part of the rack (freak accident with dry-pipe in a garage).
the only thing is that there are some bolts on the roof to hold the rack and I believe these are weather proof by the rack it-self. If you want to take the rack off you would be left with four super ugly bolts (imagine frankenstain neck) sticking out the truck and into you frame. not a slick look, and definetaly not worth all the work.

hcvone
04-29-08, 07:12 AM
The warmer it is outside the easier they will come out and not break

jdc
05-18-08, 03:04 PM
I too want the slats gone. I will never use them and it sucks to wash and wax around them never mind the low speed buffet you experience with the roof open.
I will find a good way to do this. I have only had the vehicle 10 days.:

I found the easiest way to remove the slats...go to dealer and tell them they make a bad noise when the roof is open (they do too) and and ask the to just remove them!:thepan:

spaceguy
05-19-08, 03:12 PM
I got the roof rack off of mine.

I wiggled the plastic end caps back and fort a bit (side to side) until it felt like they popped. Then grabbing the plastic end cap at the end furthest from the stainless rack part, rotate that end up. There is a hole in the plastic part and a post on the roof rack that come apart. Once you do the first one you will see it is easy to do the rest.

Next it is unscrewing four bolts, two in the front and two at the rear on each side holding the rack to the roof. I went to the hardware store and got stainless bolts in the same thread diameter but shorter, to screw back into the holes in the roof.

JETMAGNUM
08-09-10, 10:31 PM
I removed all of the endcaps and all eight bolts from my roofrack-('07 escalade). It seemed like there was something else holding the rails on in the center.they move front to back about an inch or so but will not come off all the way....

Can someone help me?

KMeloney
08-12-10, 05:05 PM
There's is a plastic nut with a flange on it in the center of the rail. At the center of the rail, itself, is an opening where the rail is slipped over the plastic nut. This opening is wide in the middle, and pinches in on either side. Once the rail is slipped over the nut at the wide part of the opening and sitting on the roof, it's shifted forward (I think) so that the flange of the nut holds the rail down at the narrow part of the rail opening.

So, whereas you're able to shift the rail back and forth, you need to not shift it quite as far back as you are, or you'll shift it past the wide part of the opening. Shift it back a little, and lift up.