: Catalytic Convertor Clogged

aamusls06
04-26-08, 12:42 PM
Well, my catalytic convertor is clogged....lol. Last night she was glowing redder than a cherry topped with whip cream. She wouldn't run but 50mph and it had the usual symptoms.

Is there anything else that will need to be replaced besides that one convertor?

91parkave
04-26-08, 02:02 PM
no, just the converter.

aamusls06
04-26-08, 07:42 PM
i understand that i will get a service engine soon light, but can't i just get the thing gutted. i mean i have 2 flowmasters 40 series on it, so loudness is not something i care about. also, i've been told that there is a way to fool the computer. my car is obd-1, so i was thinking i may get away with just gutting the cat.

arkansas doesn't have emission tests, so that is not a factor. so, other than exhaust fumes and a ses light would it cause a problem on a 94 seville?

dkozloski
04-26-08, 07:43 PM
It's a federal crime with a $2500 fine.

91parkave
04-26-08, 11:05 PM
you can have your cat gutted for "off road purposes" but since your obd-1 you should have no sensor after the cat anyways.

eldorado1
04-27-08, 01:05 AM
Fix the problem that caused it to overheat in the first place. You might have a leaking FPR or fuel rail.

Highline Cady
04-27-08, 05:08 AM
:hammer:

C&C
04-27-08, 06:08 AM
If you replace the converter and don't fix the cause of the plugging, it will most likely happen again soon. If your O2 sensor is bad and telling the computer to run rich this could be making the converter overheat (thus melting the inards). If you are burning an excess of oil the converter can only, for so long, process the excess and will eventually plug.

aamusls06
04-27-08, 06:34 PM
If you replace the converter and don't fix the cause of the plugging, it will most likely happen again soon. If your O2 sensor is bad and telling the computer to run rich this could be making the converter overheat (thus melting the inards). If you are burning an excess of oil the converter can only, for so long, process the excess and will eventually plug.

interesting. i had a leaking fpr and i fixed it a while back. i was smelling fumes from the tailpipes back in the fall. i replaced the fpr and that stopped the problem. so, hopefully this is just the aftermath. i'll probably try to replace the O2 sensors too, because i'm sure that leaking fpr messed them up. i'm not getting any codes though. last summer i had fuel injector problems. the wire had fused together to cause a short, but i doubt that had anything to do with it.

i noticed alot of carbon on my exhaust tips. someone told me that it could be from the techron in the chevron gas. i hope she can make it until i buy my 94-96 impala this summer, and then i can retire my baby. she'll be my pleasure car. we've had alot of good times.

aamusls06
04-27-08, 06:36 PM
also, i believe that it has started leaking oil from the front seal, so i will be looking to retire her.

Icecreamcts
11-07-09, 06:49 AM
what is a fpr?

caddydaddy
11-07-09, 01:02 PM
what is a fpr?

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Submariner409
11-07-09, 02:33 PM
The carbon/soot in the tailpipe tips has absolutely nothing to do with TECHRON: I run exclusively Shell, Chevron, and Texaco (all are Top-Tier TECHRON gasolines) and my pipes look like this 24/7/365.

Icecreamcts, In these FWD Northstars the FPR is on the fuel rail, just to the right (in this car, toward the driver) of the intake manifold corner. It's a flat-domed affair with a vacuum fitting and it controls, depending on load and rpm, fuel rail pressure and tank return fuel.

Nice recall of a 1 1/2 year old thread..................:sneaky:

smooththg6969
11-17-09, 12:07 PM
I want to molest subs exhaust very sexy 24/7.

caddydaddy
11-17-09, 05:07 PM
I want to molest subs exhaust very sexy 24/7.

They sound just as good as they look! :cool2: