: OH no...another one!

firstimecaddi
04-26-08, 01:31 PM
Impending HG issues:

Well from what I've read on here...I think my HG are on the way out. I have added coolant every week for the last three weeks, each time at least a half gallon. Now, I stay on top of the maintainence of the car. I've also got that oil leak problem, so I check fluids religiously. I've owned the car for two years so far and in that tme the only time I've added coolant is when I D/R the system, when I changed the water pump and when I changed the alternator. On all other times when I checked the coolant the level was ok. I got the LOW COOLANT message roughly three weeks ago and ever since I've been adding coolant on a weekly basis. I see no trace of an external leak, I've checked the hoses, water pump area, under carriage.

But having said all that, if it is indeed HG I will get it fixed because, again, from what I've read here if the HG repair is done properly the car will be almost as good as new again. With that in mind, I know I'd be able to trust this car.

What is this test kit that I can buy and where can I buy it?
If I assumed incorrectly that HG are heading south, what else can I look to as a culprit for the coolant leak.

CadillacSTS42005
04-26-08, 02:46 PM
that sucks best of luck

dennii825
04-26-08, 03:08 PM
You can try nappa for a combustion leak detecter,the auto part stores in my area did'nt have one.I got mine off of ebay about 35 dollars,(lisle) combustion leak detecter.

Ranger
04-26-08, 08:32 PM
Coolant can leak from the radiator side tanks.Remember that the condenser is in front of it, so if it leaks on the front side (between the radiator and the condenser), it mat evaporate without you seeing it, but do the test before going any further to condemn or rule out the HG's.

misfit6794
04-26-08, 10:24 PM
If you can't find the test kit wait until your exhaust is cold, and rub your finger on the inside of each tailpipe, if it comes out covered in slimey coolant, your hg is shot. Its pretty hard to be losing that much coolant without an obvious leak, you could get it pressure tested, but Im sticking with the hg.

firstimecaddi
04-27-08, 10:43 AM
well there is indeed a coolant leak...at the WP drive belt side....what does this mean???....

clarkz71
04-27-08, 11:54 AM
Have it pressure tested, could be the pump or cover.

Ranger
04-27-08, 12:13 PM
Water pump shaft seal.