: Differences between the VIN 9 and Y

eldorado1
05-28-04, 02:27 PM
I've got an engine sitting in my garage, and need to know what version it is (275 or 300hp)... The water manifold has a "1995" cast on it, so I assume it's a 95 year. Any ideas?

BeelzeBob
05-28-04, 04:08 PM
I've got an engine sitting in my garage, and need to know what version it is (275 or 300hp)... The water manifold has a "1995" cast on it, so I assume it's a 95 year. Any ideas?
The only difference is the inlet cam lobe profile so it is hard to visually identify them.

Look at the end of the cam covers and see if there is a small sticker on them somewhere (or elsewhere on the end of the engine) that has three letters on it. If the center letter is a K then it is likely a 9 or 300 HP engine. If the letter is an M then it is likely a Y or 275 HP engine.

eldorado1
05-28-04, 05:49 PM
Well there's 3 stickers... One looks like a serial # with a barcode, "T10L686251"... one is a metallic sticker that looks out of place (:hmm: ) and says "Quality Products
LKQ Corporation"

the other says "GM campaign Completed Dealer Code" (curious-er :hmm: )

any ideas? I think LKQ is the name of a company, but I could be wrong...

BeelzeBob
05-28-04, 05:53 PM
Well there's 3 stickers... One looks like a serial # with a barcode, "T10L686251"... one is a metallic sticker that looks out of place (:hmm: ) and says "Quality Products
LKQ Corporation"

the other says "GM campaign Completed Dealer Code" (curious-er :hmm: )

any ideas? I think LKQ is the name of a company, but I could be wrong...
Are the letters LKQ very large and bold with the center letter, K, larger than the others?? I think that is the correct label. It is saying the label was printed by "quality products corporation" and the letters in the center are the id used by the engine and car assembly plant to id the correct engines at a glance. If so, that would be a 300 HP engine. The other label is the engine unit number that is applied at the engine plant.

eldorado1
05-28-04, 05:57 PM
Are the letters LKQ very large and bold with the center letter, K, larger than the others?? I think that is the correct label. It is saying the label was printed by "quality products corporation" and the letters in the center are the id used by the engine and car assembly plant to id the correct engines at a glance. If so, that would be a 300 HP engine. The other label is the engine unit number that is applied at the engine plant.Actually it's not. I have seen what you're talking about on 2000 northstars, but this one doesn't seem to have that or at least in that form?... The "LKQ" sticker is about 1"x1/2", and isn't a normal sticker, but metallic as if it was something added by a dealer or something...

eldorado1
05-28-04, 06:14 PM
Looks like this:

eldorado1
05-28-04, 06:30 PM
huh... after some googling, I learned that LKQ is a "recycled parts dealer"... I sent them an email asking what they know about my engine... Any other ideas on how I can ID this engine are appreciated,

dloch
05-28-04, 07:08 PM
If the intake is on when you pull it look at the intake ports. If it has the mouse holes its 95 and earlier. If you remove the rear valve cover and mic one of the intake lobes, measure the base circle and then measure the overall height. If you subtract the one from the other it should give you some idea which cam you have. Buy the overall height I mean the base circle plus the lift of the lobe included. Going from memory I think the STS (9) cam has a ~.373 lift where the Y has ~.333 or somthing to that effect.

Another is to measure an exhaust lobe and an intake the same way I explained above, if they are the same it is more than likely a "Y". That is what I found in all my research and measuring.

I will look in my manual for the correct valve lift info.

eldorado1
05-28-04, 07:32 PM
If the intake is on when you pull it look at the intake ports. If it has the mouse holes its 95 and earlier. If you remove the rear valve cover and mic one of the intake lobes, measure the base circle and then measure the overall height. If you subtract the one from the other it should give you some idea which cam you have. Buy the overall height I mean the base circle plus the lift of the lobe included. Going from memory I think the STS (9) cam has a ~.373 lift where the Y has ~.333 or somthing to that effect.

Another is to measure an exhaust lobe and an intake the same way I explained above, if they are the same it is more than likely a "Y". That is what I found in all my research and measuring.

I will look in my manual for the correct valve lift info.
Cool. I have to pull the valve covers anyways to clear out some crap that got into the engine because the *stupid* junkyard shipped it without the oil cap... They tell me it's a 96 Vin 9, but after all the hassles they put me though, I still don't believe them.

eldorado1
05-30-04, 09:37 PM
Alrighty. I pulled the intake and valve covers, and it's a 95 vin 9. Cool! Thanks guys! Oh perhaps one more question - why did they have the 'mouseholes' in 95 if they were injecting the EGR exhaust by the throttle body?

dloch
05-31-04, 02:51 PM
Alrighty. I pulled the intake and valve covers, and it's a 95 vin 9. Cool! Thanks guys! Oh perhaps one more question - why did they have the 'mouseholes' in 95 if they were injecting the EGR exhaust by the throttle body?
Does the intake look like the 96/97 plastic intake? I thought the prior to 96/97 MY still used the mouseholes for EGR. Does the current intake have the spacer plates still? does the water crossover manifold have the ports open to the are where the intake ports are feed by the mouse holes?

See what happens when you ask a question :rolleyes: It generally generates about 3 more questions. I'm usre Bbob can answer this off the top of his head i need to ask more questions. Reason being my older replacement engine had a plastic intake on it, although as it was set up I don't think it would work.

eldorado1
05-31-04, 04:44 PM
Does the intake look like the 96/97 plastic intake? I thought the prior to 96/97 MY still used the mouseholes for EGR. Does the current intake have the spacer plates still? does the water crossover manifold have the ports open to the are where the intake ports are feed by the mouse holes?

See what happens when you ask a question :rolleyes: It generally generates about 3 more questions. I'm usre Bbob can answer this off the top of his head i need to ask more questions. Reason being my older replacement engine had a plastic intake on it, although as it was set up I don't think it would work.
Hehehe... It is exactly like the 96+ intake. (They even share the same gaskets) Only difference seems to be in the throttle body, where they don't use the IAC, but the stepper motor similar to the 93/94. As such, it does not have the phenolic spacers. The water manifold is still used for the EGR, but it isn't fed into the mouse holes, but comes back around via a tube into the throttle body. I guess they were just phasing out the <94 heads? I should also mention that the heads don't have the 1/16" milled slot directly in front of the ports (that actually fed the EGR gasses in the previous years) I'll be swapping the TB's anyways because I need an IAC.... but that's another story

Randy_W
05-31-04, 09:49 PM
The only difference is the inlet cam lobe profile so it is hard to visually identify them.

Look at the end of the cam covers and see if there is a small sticker on them somewhere (or elsewhere on the end of the engine) that has three letters on it. If the center letter is a K then it is likely a 9 or 300 HP engine. If the letter is an M then it is likely a Y or 275 HP engine.
Not planning to do it, but curious just the same. Can you change the intake cams, the gears in the diff and the pcm and 'create' a 300 h.p. car that would function without setting codes?:hmm: