: Another question- DTS to ESV

china99
04-25-08, 09:03 PM
I've been driving a DTS deville for almost 4 years now. I've gotten quite used to it. I know where I can and can't park to get out easily. I've never really paid attention to the back up sensors unless they go off when I know something isn't directly behind me. That usually means there is a person there :yup:

I should be getting my ESV very soon. Will ship out from the dealer next week.
How hard is it going to be adjusting to backing up and parking? I'll be honest and say that it's kind of scaring me a little. I wish I didn't need something this long, but with the amount of kids I have and the amount of groceries I normally carry, the length was necessary. Not to mention I wasn't really comfortable with my kids being so close to the back end of my car. Too many idiots texting while driving.

Am I going to have to park far away from things for a while? Will I look like an idiot and hit a curb or 2? I'm afraid I will end up wanting my husband to drive the ESV and smushing my kids back into the Deville.

DaveH28
04-25-08, 11:18 PM
I went from driving a Tahoe with no back-up sensors into an EXT, which is the same length as your ESV, and yours will have better visibility..

I think you'll get used to it quickly, but I'll tell you those back-up sensors are awesome, and I use mine every day. When I back up out of my driveway there is a large pick up truck across the street and I have to avoid hitting it every day..

I just go slow and rely on the sensors, especially because it is dark out when I leave for work, and trying to see out of my small removable window (which is heavily tinted by the way), with the headlamps and the nav screen reflecting in it -- is tough.. So use your sensors, that's what they are there for... But always check to make sure they turn on as you back up!

If you were getting an 07, you'd have the camera too.. very handy! You can always install an aftermarket one in your ESV if you like..

hcvone
04-28-08, 09:49 AM
It will be a big change for sure, the Escalade has backup sensors and a camera if you have the Nav. You are going from a big car to a bigger truck, just take your time at first, probably down the road you will like the safe feeling the truck will give you. :)

caddycruiser
04-28-08, 10:30 AM
I always found our '04 Suburban to be considerably easier to maneuver around and park than something like our Fleetwoods or Roadmaster, also relatively large cars, simply because you can see so well out. You're high up, with a view of everything, have big, unobstructed windows, relatively thin pillars, and big mirrors.

So if you can drive a Deville, which is quite bulky and not as easy to see out of just because it's a sedan, after some time of being careful, you'll get the hang of the ESV in no time. Actually, I think the only incident we had in 3.5 years with the Suburban and 2 with an Avalanche was my mother trying to do a complete turn-around in the driveway in a relatively small space...and she bumped dad's Buick front bumper with her back bumper. No damage, just a jostle.

Had there been backup sensors...probably wouldn't have happened. You'll have those. So really, as big as they are, I've never heard from many owner's who find driving or parking at all a challenge, and it actually becomes easier than a lot of cars just because of the comfort & what you can see out.

Nicholas Wright
05-21-08, 05:05 PM
Interesting post. It just happens to be the exact same situation my wife and I just went through when we traded our 2007 DTS for a 2006 ESV Platinum.

You'll actually be surprised by how similar both vehicles are to drive and park. In fact, I think we read that the ESV was only an inch thicker and a couple of inches longer than the DTS. With the backup sensors it's pretty simple, but I'd highly recommend getting an aftermarket backup camera put in if your unit doesn't have one.

Lord Cadillac
05-21-08, 05:14 PM
You'll get used to it quickly. I went from a car to an ESV as well.. No big deal. Rely on the sensors and/or the camera if you have one.. They work really well..

china99
05-29-08, 08:16 PM
We have a platinum and you'd think that would come with a back up camera but I don't think it does. I've actually gotten pretty brave with it. Not quite there yet, but I'm sure I'll get there.

Thank you for all of your input.

I am enjoying my ESV, even though gas sucks and I have to park far away LOL.
Just seems worth it to me. I love the space and all of the extras.

AlphaWolf
05-30-08, 09:34 PM
Be prepared to park far away from the shopping malls. I have a backup camera installed and I tell ya, it was the best $ spent on the ESV for me. Backup is now a breeze w/ no guess work.