: Getting 24s MOZ with 305/35

jmelwak
04-25-08, 07:11 PM
Hi all,
I have someone telling me that putting 24s on my 2004 escalade will give me issues within 6 mos. He says something with the bearings and other stuff will wear out real fast and i will have to replace these two parts i forgot what they were every year!!! is this true?? Any help to a new cadillac owner is greatly appreciated! :)

ZX_man
04-25-08, 10:31 PM
I've had my 24's on for 3 years with over 80K miles with them on. No suspension or bearing issues as of yet and I'm nearing the 144K mark on my 02. My only suggestion to you is to put a larger brake kit on with rims that big.

Walter

jmelwak
04-26-08, 10:42 AM
wow, cool thanks for your input. What brake upgrade do you suggest?

ZX_man
04-26-08, 06:29 PM
I ran with the Baer Eradispeed +2 rotor upgrade with hawk pads. It still uses the stock caliper, but the kit comes with relocation brackets (this moves the caliper out about 2 inches from the stock location to clear the larger rotors). Also know that once this kit is installed, you will not be able to run the factory 17 inch rims. I have some pics, I try and upload them so you can see the difference.

Walter

jmelwak
04-27-08, 02:02 PM
awesome thanks again! :)

hcvone
04-28-08, 08:32 AM
It depends on how heavy the wheels are and how you drive, it is a given that larger wheels and tires will wear you brakes out faster any cause you more wear on your front end parts, of course if you live and drive in a flat area of the country you will get away with it a lot longer. I know on our 07's we have 24's on them, they weigh less than the stock 22's, but they take more brake effort to stop, you can really feel it in the mountains, and in the mountains the ride quality is very poor due to the bad roads.

ZX_man
04-30-08, 12:21 AM
Here are the pictures of the difference between stock brakes and the Baer Eradispeed +2 kit. Plus a shot of my son who was helping his daddy.

Walter

hcvone
04-30-08, 06:52 AM
The Baer brakes will help you stop faster, and they look much better too. :thumbsup:

CAD-E!
05-01-08, 02:17 AM
I've had my 24's on for 3 years with over 80K miles with them on. No suspension or bearing issues as of yet and I'm nearing the 144K mark on my 02. My only suggestion to you is to put a larger brake kit on with rims that big.

Walter

co-sign with the brake conversion! i have powerslot plus 1 kit for the front,powerslot rotors for the rear and goodridge lines, i would have to say its the best upgrade i ever bought.

jmelwak
05-02-08, 06:05 PM
thanks you guys! im getting them mounted tomorrow i will post pics for you guys!!!

jmelwak
05-02-08, 06:06 PM
are there brakes upgrades i can put on that still allows me to use the stock wheels incase i want to put them back on for longer road trips?

ZX_man
05-03-08, 02:19 AM
You can source OEM sized replacements that are slotted, cross drilled or both. If going that route I would just get slotted with a good set of pads (hawk, EBC). Baer's line of OEM are called the DecelaRotor line for OEM. Hit the Baer site up for more info.

Walter

jmelwak
05-05-08, 06:55 PM
thanks so much for all your help ZX. Take a look at the wheels! man i think it makes the truck look so much better!

ZX_man
05-05-08, 07:34 PM
Truck is looking good! You planning any other mods (lowering, grill)? Those are on my list of things to add. My girl just got some 24's for her black 03, I'll have to get some pics of hers and mine together. Glad I could help. :thumbsup:

Walter

jmelwak
05-06-08, 05:17 PM
yeah i have been looking at a real nice grill on ebay, stainless steel mesh. I think its gonna look sweet! I want to do some mods to make the truck a bit more powerful since its only the 5.3L 2wd. Im just scared i will mess up something like the tranny or something. How are those power programmers? any good?

JD001249
05-06-08, 08:18 PM
look into a cold air induction and exhaust/header upgrades. Allowing the engine to breathe will allow it to be more powerful. I have added the cold air induction (volant) and a new mass air flow sensor (not sure if this helped much). My next upgrade is going to be headers and exhaust but have to convince the wifey to let me do it. :)

Here is a pic of my ride...

ZX_man
05-06-08, 11:03 PM
Thats a good looking Lade there JD. Since that is 2 blk lades I'll have to throw in my Aspen White and my girlfriends old EXT. I'm running TIS 01's and she had Dropstar 03's.

Walter

JD001249
05-07-08, 02:46 PM
ZX, those both look great! I am jealous of the white, I wanted a white one but they stopped making them in 02, my Dad has a white one too. Black is hard to take care of... does your g/f keep hers clean or is that your job?? :)

ZX_man
05-07-08, 03:38 PM
Thanks! I've heard that from alot of people about the white. I actually had a husband and wife want to trade me straight up for their 04 Quicksilver because she wanted white and didn't want to get a Denali. There is also a guy down the street from me that purchased an 03 EXT that was black, he stopped me to inquire about the color, grabbed the paint code and sprayed his the next week! I'll have to see if I can get some pictures of that one, its the only white EXT i've seen in Austin. As for keeping it clean...I'm a professional auto detailer so that job is always in my lap. She does a good job on her own if I'm too booked to get to it though. Thanks again!

Walter

Escolade
05-08-08, 12:05 AM
I'm having 24's installed on my 2003 tommorow. Putting wheels on it was an impulse decision!! I hope it doesn't destroy my low mileage truck. Are any lights going to come on?

ZX_man
05-08-08, 01:29 AM
:thumbsup:Escolade- Be sure to add brakes. As for lights, from what I've read here and my personal experience you should have no lights come on. I think that is only an issue with the 04's on up with the tire pressure monitors....or could be 05's and up. Either way you are good. :thumbsup:

Walter

JD001249
05-08-08, 09:21 AM
Z - lucky man, you get to detail your truck any time you want. Too bad you are in TX, I would let you clean mine up. I am still waiting for a good weekend to do the complete Zaino clean up on my truck. :)

ZX_man
05-12-08, 08:38 PM
That can be seen as a curse too...No matter what it will never be perfect! I'd be happy to do it if you were in TX. Zaino is not a bad product, was a big user for a long time many years ago. There is a saying some of us detailers use:

Black paint...its a part time job

So true.

Walter

jmelwak
05-13-08, 08:00 PM
im running 24s for a couple weeks now, i love it, rubs a bit when i turn but nothing major. It does change the ride quite a bit, more bouncy and you feel alot of the road. I have nittos 305/35 nt420s.

jmelwak
05-13-08, 08:01 PM
Black is super hard to keep clean but man it looks AWESOME when it is clean and nicely waxed up! I use zaino bros on my vette and works great as well with the color MAG red.