: Aftermarket exhaust - Which was is the least obnoxious?

jr_vette
04-25-08, 10:12 AM
When I bought my V I swore up and down I would leave it stock for the most part. Oh well, that lasted all of 45 days. I am wanting to get a new exhaust, but something that's not super loud. My Vette is for that (LT headers, Borla Stingers, etc). My garage faces my neighbors bedroom, and I leave fairly early in the AM. They've never complained about the Vette, but I only drive it at most once a week.

Is there anything I can buy from the dealer (Corsa's?), that would avoid any arguments from the dealer should I need some warranty work down the road, as I have a certified used 100K warranty until 2011. Normally I would do this work myself, but if it would help avoid any warranty problems down the road I would probably let them do it.

TIA!

lunarx
04-25-08, 10:27 AM
If you want quiet and beautiful in both sound and looks do the B&B Touring (its 2.5" w/ Resonator).
Even the B&B 3" w/ Resonator sounds fairly mellow, so the 2.5" would be even mellower.
Try it you'll like it. :cloud9:

B&B is so beautiful the dealer will be admiring it so much they would more likely give you VIP treatment than deny your warranty. :rolleyes:

Corsa (also 2.5" w/ Resonator) is nice for cruising on highway but barks real loud when you get on it.

JD03Cobra
04-25-08, 10:34 AM
I just bolted up a Magnaflow exhaust...Similiar sound to stock just a little more rumble. I didn't want any obnoxious as well. Couldn't be happier.

This video summed it up for me...A board member here too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rEQhDmYLMM

Only $608.00

lunarx
04-25-08, 10:40 AM
Magnaflow is surprisingly quiet for an X-Pipe exhaust.

However, it is cheaper than B&B & Corsa because they delete the Resonator.

thebigjimsho
04-25-08, 10:52 AM
I think The Tony Show has talked about doing every configuration of exhaust. It sounds as though just replacing the mufflers with Magnaflow units might make you happy...shoot him a PM.

Civardi
04-25-08, 10:59 AM
I think The Tony Show has talked about doing every configuration of exhaust. It sounds as though just replacing the mufflers with Magnaflow units might make you happy...shoot him a PM.

Here is the video.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gzEjjz8LVLY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gzEjjz8LVLY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

lunarx
04-25-08, 11:02 AM
Here is the video.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gzEjjz8LVLY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gzEjjz8LVLY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That Vid is a Corsa with Magnaflow Mufflers.

I think BigJim ment stock exhaust with rear Magnaflows (mufflers only) as the ultimate quiet yet good sounding solution.

REDEVIL
04-25-08, 11:06 AM
I am in the same boat with my 07 V. I was going to keep it stock, but now I NEED exhaust. I really want B&B (have B&B PRT's and Kooks LT's on my C5 and it sounds amazing), but $1200 is kinda steep for daily driver exhaust. So, i'm condsidering Magnaflow right now...$600 shipped can't beat that. I hope it isn't too quiet.

The Tony Show
04-25-08, 12:25 PM
If I had to do it all over again I'd simply cut out the stock cans and weld in Magnaflows. $200 for a pair of Magnaflow canisters from Summit racing, + $100 at a muffler shop to have them welded in place a of the stock cans.

I don't mind spending money on mods, but I think most of the exhausts are pissing money away unless you're pushing some serious HP. If you're just looking for a meatier sound, save yourself $400-$1000 (depending on which brand you buy) and just replace the cans.

thebigjimsho
04-25-08, 12:35 PM
Just a thought. I love my B&B w/X-pipe. It is big and bold. BUT, it is actually fairly quiet inside. My brother had to use the garage last weekend and he commented again at how amazed he is that the B&B is so loud on the outside but so muted inside. And it has the best sound, IMO.

randycsvt
04-25-08, 12:36 PM
The stock CTS-V exhaust is 2.5" mandrel bent stainless steel right?

if so I would just change the resonator for an X-pipe, and add two magnaflow mufflers. My only worry is I want to be able to bring the car back to stock. I have been considering having the X-pipe and mufflers clamped on so that you can clamp the stock parts back on whenever you want.

The Tony Show
04-25-08, 12:38 PM

if so I would just change the resonator for an X-pipe, and add two magnaflow mufflers. My only worry is I want to be able to bring the car back to stock. I have been considering having the X-pipe and mufflers clamped on so that you can clamp the stock parts back on whenever you want.

Yes it is. That's a mighty fine idea you've got there, and had I known then what I know now, I would have done the same.

jr_vette
04-25-08, 03:11 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll have to look at the videos when I get home (they are blocked here at work...ugh).

ccclarke
04-25-08, 03:20 PM
Corsa. Hear it. Love it. Buy it. (And GM-approved to boot!)

CCC

Claimslngr
04-25-08, 03:41 PM
You could try Arlasky Performance Inc. catback system. It has a very nice old school rumble and you can keep it pretty quiet. Went on very easily and fits both 04,05 and 06,07. Then again all of them should.

p.s. Don't tell Bigjimsho but they are really known as Zoomers!:histeric:
:Poke::nyanya:

JimmyH
04-25-08, 04:50 PM
TTS and "exhaust" are two funny words when used together...

CTSV_Rob
04-25-08, 05:47 PM
Just a thought. I love my B&B w/X-pipe. It is big and bold. BUT, it is actually fairly quiet inside. My brother had to use the garage last weekend and he commented again at how amazed he is that the B&B is so loud on the outside but so muted inside. And it has the best sound, IMO.

B&B Headers, B&B Hi flow Cats, B&B 3" resonator, B&B Exhaust... Great combination but a bit pricey if you pay full ticket.

If you never plan to go with the Headers then I would recommend Big Jim's combination.

If your in a crunch for coin then the TTS is a great solution as well. If your going to stick with 2.5" pipes then why not re-use the stock ones.

The Tony Show
04-25-08, 05:54 PM
Randy-

I've got 4 unused 2.5" Torca clamps that I bought from GM Parts during my exhaust ordeal. If you decide to go that route, send me PM.

lunarx
04-25-08, 06:27 PM

If you want an X-Pipe & New Mufflers; I would argue that it is cheaper to just get a complete Magnaflow for $600 shipped to your door.

Then sell your stock exhaust to a CTS guy.
Or keep it it in storage to go back to stock later.

Changing just one thing on the stock exhaust makes sense though.

If doing the stock rework approach, I would ditch the stock resonator for an X-Pipe.
That is the easiest, cheapest and most stealth looking.

The dealer may not even realize it's not stock.
I suspect it would sound real nice too.

NormV
04-25-08, 06:50 PM
If your concerned about cost and noise level pieceing together something with the stock system is the best avenue. I gutted the stock muffler but kept the stock resonator. Even with Kooks and cats it is not police attention getter but has a nice purr under normal condititons with the windows up.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/111998-picked-up-damaged-05-v-less-7.html

Norm

randycsvt
04-26-08, 01:59 AM
Where is the magnaflow available for $600? I check hotexhaust.com and used gto2ls2 code or whatever was posted here, and got a higher price.

lunarx
04-26-08, 02:28 AM
Where is the magnaflow available for $600? I check hotexhaust.com and used gto2ls2 code or whatever was posted here, and got a higher price.
Could be that it went up.

However, people have recently bought them for less than $600 shipped, to their door.
But shipping is cheaper in CA (where Magnaflow is).

I think you have to call vendors and work a deal.
I doubt they can list prices on their website that low.
Some vendors will give discounts based on forum memberships which can only be done via a phone call.

jegeiger
04-26-08, 08:16 AM
The best deal I could find was Autoanything.com for $750. You can Google "autoanything coupon codes" and get a code for $25 off of that.

JD03Cobra
04-26-08, 09:07 AM

Like I said I just bought mine a few weeks ago..the price $608.19 from HotExhaust.com still stands...I just checked.

Enter code chgp1. FREE SHIPPING too!

Enjoy

atdeneve
04-26-08, 09:49 AM
You could try Arlasky Performance Inc. catback system. It has a very nice old school rumble and you can keep it pretty quiet. Went on very easily and fits both 04,05 and 06,07. Then again all of them should.

p.s. Don't tell Bigjimsho but they are really known as Zoomers!:histeric:
:Poke::nyanya:

I was gonna say. Arlasky Performance Inc.? Sounds familiar, but I've never heard of them. Heh.

randycsvt
04-26-08, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the new coupon code. I just ordered a magnaflow system. I would rather not molest my stock exhaust.

The mod bug has bit again. It is only a matter of time before he shows up again. I already hear little whispers telling me I NEED a short throw shifter and UUC weighted knob.

Civardi
04-26-08, 04:55 PM
Like I said I just bought mine a few weeks ago..the price $608.19 from HotExhaust.com still stands...I just checked.

Enter code chgp1. FREE SHIPPING too!

Enjoy

I can only find http://www.hottexhaust.com/ with two t's not one.

Smuznu
04-27-08, 08:26 AM
I am in the same boat with my 07 V. I was going to keep it stock, but now I NEED exhaust. I really want B&B (have B&B PRT's and Kooks LT's on my C5 and it sounds amazing), but $1200 is kinda steep for daily driver exhaust. So, i'm condsidering Magnaflow right now...$600 shipped can't beat that. I hope it isn't too quiet.

$600 shipped?? Where did you finding that deal at? The cheapest I've found is $800 shipped.

Smuznu
04-27-08, 08:28 AM
Nevermind, should have read the entire thread......

JD03Cobra
04-27-08, 10:03 AM
I can only find http://www.hottexhaust.com/ with two t's not one.

My bad...you found the light!

StealthCTSVJJL
04-27-08, 12:00 PM
Save your money most cat backs don't get much additional HP, I did the magnaflow mufflers with nice big tips at the back, left in the stock resonator and stock 2.5" stainless piping and it sounds much more aggressive without being overly loud or droning. Plus it looks much better.

JimmyH
04-27-08, 04:12 PM
^that's what I am planning

Natedog
04-27-08, 05:52 PM
If you think you want B&B and are worried about Magnaflow being too quiet, you will be dissappointed... it was too quiet for me.. nice system tho and looks great

lunarx
04-27-08, 07:16 PM
If you think you want B&B and are worried about Magnaflow being too quiet, you will be dissappointed... it was too quiet for me.. nice system tho and looks great
It won't be too quiet after you get headers, or at least High Flow Cats.

thebigjimsho
04-27-08, 08:24 PM
But the B&B looks as good as it sounds, if not better.

fscarce1
09-15-08, 02:32 PM
Has anyone gutted the stock mufflers and replaced the Resonator with a universal X-Pipe. I've heard just gutting the mufflers doesn't make it that much louder, but was concerned about replacing the resonator.

mgscustomtune
09-15-08, 06:25 PM
:thumbsup:Corsa Hands Down