: Gas Mileage Gadgets

Hotdawg
04-23-08, 11:41 PM
Hey guys, has anyone had any success improving their gas mileage with an after market product? I've put in a K&N air filter and that's it. Someone told me you can buy a programmer and program your chip for better mileage. Is that safe for the tranny/engine? Any suggestions or experiences on mileage improvement is appreciated.:thumbsup:

hcvone
04-24-08, 07:20 AM
There are a few hand held programmers like the Preditor and Superchips, I have used the Preditor on several trucks, it is great for performance, never really noticed any gas savings, these units allow you to put your stock tune back in at anytime. :)

The Scientist
04-24-08, 11:13 AM
Any suggestions or experiences on mileage improvement is appreciated.:thumbsup:
Are you serious? :hmm: You are driving an Escalade - You are going to pay for gas. Gimmics don't work so don't try them.
Nothing helps your mileage more than changing your driving style like staying off the throttle or do 70 instead of 80 in the interstate. It is as simple as that. Programmers help a bit but at $300+ you have to do a lot of driving to even make that $$$ back before saving money.

DLE
04-24-08, 11:57 AM
There's not much you can do to improve you mileage. Its a bigger vehicle, SUV/Truck. Only little Hondas will help save you money on gas. In the meantime, if you're on the highway, use your cruise control. That helps a little bit.

dkozloski
04-24-08, 12:19 PM
After you lean out the motor and burn a hole through a piston you won't have saved a hell of a lot of money.

WSLN 6
04-24-08, 02:55 PM
I did find a gas saver that works every time....
(1) Turn key fully to the left and remove
(2) Step out of vehicle

You're done!

By the way gas here in Canada is 1.27/liter for 87 octane. So far.

Rolex
04-24-08, 08:26 PM
Keep your tires inflated to the recommended pressure.

Unload anything extra that you don't need in the vehicle to reduce your over all vehicle weight.

Avoid unnecessary trips. Try to get all you errands done with one big trip instead of several small trips.

Make right turns only during your trips. You spend less time sitting at red lights when you can make right turns. For me I go one way to work in the morning, and return another way after I get off. Basically I make a big loop that is all right turns and I don't spend 30 minutes a day idling at a red light.

Save your money. The "gas gadgets" (tornado, chips, K&N cold air kits, etc) are a big waste if you buy them for better mpg.

z06bigbird
04-24-08, 10:38 PM
Save your $$.
Buy some fuzzy dice and curb feelers.
They are more effective than the gas savers.