: Fuel Cutoff For Z-rated Sts

caddysornothin49
04-23-08, 02:31 AM
I own a Z-Rated 01 STS and I was under the impression that the fuel cut off was at least 140+. I was out the other the night driving home from a buddy's and decided to open her up a little. She smoothed her way rt up to 130 than just started jerking like it was stalling out. I'm assuming that would be the fuel cutoff yes? So whats up with this 130 cra#? I'm pretty sad about it :crying2:

Highline Cady
04-23-08, 03:12 AM
No you'll get a chime, then the cluster will say fuel cutoff. Not sure what yours was doing but it doesn't sound like it was the fuel cutoff. It should be 150 or 155 can't remember. H rated tire cars were 130ish and S rated 110-112.

caddysornothin49
04-23-08, 03:55 AM
Ok well now I'm a little worried. It is clearly stated Z-Rated tires on the inside of the door. I didn't here a chime at 130 either. The car didn't shut of or anyting and I let off of the gas within say 2 sec. Car drove fine rest of the way home. No noises no smells and rough idle. Car doesn't even have 37000 miles yet. Any ideas whats up?

AJxtcman
04-23-08, 08:31 AM
PM me your VIN

caddysornothin49
04-23-08, 01:58 PM
Vin has been sent AJ

AJxtcman
04-23-08, 03:16 PM
Qch - Tire All P235/55r17 Goodyear Eagle Ls H-rated, Blackwall

Highline Cady
04-23-08, 05:33 PM
H rated, 130 mph cutoff. You said that there IS a Z tire sticker on the door? Somebody somewhere at sometime got sneaky!!! Bummer dude.:want:

Ur7x
04-23-08, 11:51 PM
Actually the "Z" sticker is a dead giveaway that something is wrong..
Unlimited 2001 cars came with "W" rated tires.

The "Z" sticker is a fraud.

Highline Cady
04-24-08, 12:22 AM
What he said. Can't believe I over looked that.

caddysornothin49
04-24-08, 03:59 AM
Wait what???? I don't even know what is going on rt now but it doesn't sound good. I will double check the sticker and let you guys know. Hell I will see if I can't get a picture posted of it

caddysornothin49
04-24-08, 04:11 AM
Yeah the sticker says ZR after the tire size. So what this it a fraud and my full cut off really is at 130 or what? I'm pretty devastated to say the least.

AJxtcman
04-24-08, 07:35 AM
Yeah the sticker says ZR after the tire size. So what this it a fraud and my full cut off really is at 130 or what? I'm pretty devastated to say the least.

Doors get replaced. Is the VIN the same on the door sticker as the one on the dash?

Find the RPO list. I think it id the trunk on your car. I think it is on the underside of the spare tire cover. Then look for QCH. That is the RPO for a H rated tire. :crying2:

GM has your car leaving the factory with QCH

caddysornothin49
04-24-08, 08:49 PM
Wow, tha's pretty Fuc*** shady!!! Grrrrrr :banghead:

CadillacSTS42005
04-24-08, 09:16 PM
hahaha
your door was replaced and the vins dont match do they???
always check your body panels before you buy so you dont get surprises like this later
and you have no reason EVER to be pushing over 130 on the street

caddysornothin49
04-25-08, 06:12 AM
Well I guess I will just have to ask AJ if he ever gets some time to help me out with my little 130 issue. I know you shouldn't be going that fast, but its the feeling of knowing you can :D

caddysornothin49
04-25-08, 12:40 PM
PM me your VIN

Hey where did you go AJ 2 look up my Vin#?

AJxtcman
04-25-08, 03:44 PM

You have an H rated tire car

Ur7x
04-25-08, 06:59 PM

Every dealer has a Vin look up tool that will tell the dealer what options your car has and what dealer service was performed on your car... Very cool (and unlike Carfax) quite accurate.

chubbyranger
04-26-08, 10:22 AM
Is there an RPO code for the z-rated option?

Submariner409
04-26-08, 02:08 PM
No. The limiter (if used, depending on year and model) is rolled into the wheel/tire option RPO and the door sticker. His RPO "QCH" defines the limiter programming. There are an unbelievable number of wheel/tire combination RPO's.

To cloud the issue further, my late '02 STS has the chrome spoked 17" wheels with chrome STS caps installed, but the door sticker and QQX code specify an H-rated 16" tire/wheel !! Luckily, I have the original owner's name and phone number on Staten Island, a nice guy, and he ordered the car with a dealer promotion "luxury package" which included 17" wheels and H Goodyears. That package is on the original sticker, which I have, but the left side of that sticker still says "H-rated tires with 16" aluminum..........."

........so try and figure that one out. But I know all too well that, 16" or 17", the car will do 132 mph easily. Too easily.

caddysornothin49
04-26-08, 04:34 PM
You have an H rated tire car

The Vin# on the door is the exact vin in the dash. What other #'s did you want besides the RPO? Where can I located these numbers? Oh and Sub the car does 130 like nothing but that's where the problem begins cause I guess that's what my cutoff is. You guys said there should be a W on no fuel cutoff cars mine says ZR. So is this a fake sticker or just a misprint?

Ur7x
04-26-08, 11:37 PM
Post a pic... My bet its a fake

AJxtcman
04-27-08, 01:55 PM
On 2000+ cars

ETC's are 235-60-16"-Z rated
STS's ran 235-60-16"-Z rated in 2000, 2001
W rated tires are 235-55-17" STS's they ran them in 2001+

2000 and 2001 SLS's and ELC's had a special order 16" Z rated tires. 235-60-ZR 16"
2000 and 2001 DHS and maybe more had a special order option W rated 16' tire Export only. This is a 225-60-16" 98W and the only W rated 16" tire I know Cadillac used.

You need to find your RPO label.
QCH is the H rated
QDO is a Z rated

caddysornothin49
04-27-08, 02:14 PM
Post a pic... My bet its a fake

I already took some but the lighting sucks and you can't really read it. So i will wail for some better weather and see if I can't get a more clear pic posted.

On 2000+ cars

2000 and 2001 SLS's and ELC's had a special order 16" Z rated tires. 235-60-ZR 16"
2000 and 2001 DHS and maybe more had a special order option W rated 16' tire Export only. This is a 225-60-16" 98W and the only W rated 16" tire I know Cadillac used.

QCH is the H rated
QDO is a Z rated

Thanks for the input AJ. I will look For the RPO which is located where again? But it seems to be pretty obvious my car is H-Rated. Which is fine i guess because for what I use the car for there really isn't a need to be going that fast. Out of curiosity though. If your car has a higher fuel cutoff or none at all. Does that mean they have more power or they just have a higher top speed?

Submariner409
04-27-08, 06:21 PM
No more or less power, nothing is different mechanically, just a computer program to monitor vehicle programmed tire rated speed against actual vehicle speed. IF you could have three VIN9 2002's, S, H, and W rated, they would all reach 112 mph at the same time, the H would bump 130, and then the W would eventually run up against drag vs. hp and torque.

The RPO sticker is under the spare tire cover. Your paint code is also on the same sticker.

Curiously my car wheel/tire RPO is QQX, which is a 16" H-rated setup, but the car was dealer incentive ordered with the 17" chrome spoke wheels and 235/55/17-99W tires as part of a "luxury package" shown on the right side of the original window sticker. BUT, the RPO and door stickers are still 16" H, and the speed limiter is most definitely 132. Go figure.

Highline Cady
04-27-08, 07:08 PM
Sounds like gm had some extra 17"s laying around.

AJxtcman
04-27-08, 08:11 PM
No more or less power, nothing is different mechanically, just a computer program to monitor vehicle programmed tire rated speed against actual vehicle speed. IF you could have three VIN9 2002's, S, H, and W rated, they would all reach 112 mph at the same time, the H would bump 130, and then the W would eventually run up against drag vs. hp and torque.

The RPO sticker is under the spare tire cover. Your paint code is also on the same sticker.

Curiously my car wheel/tire RPO is QQX, which is a 16" H-rated setup, but the car was dealer incentive ordered with the 17" chrome spoke wheels and 235/55/17-99W tires as part of a "luxury package" shown on the right side of the original window sticker. BUT, the RPO and door stickers are still 16" H, and the speed limiter is most definitely 132. Go figure.

Doors get replaced. Is the VIN the same on the door sticker as the one on the dash?

Find the RPO list. I think it id the trunk on your car. I think it is on the underside of the spare tire cover. Then look for QCH. That is the RPO for a H rated tire. :crying2:

GM has your car leaving the factory with QCH

The RPO sticker is under the spare tire cover :yup:

Submariner409
04-27-08, 10:07 PM
Unless I have forgotten how to spell/print/read, the lower half of post #27 says pretty much the same thing as post #25, which is also the highlighted carryover quote. Criminey jeepers, don't no one read nuttin' past one post in here before throwing out more chaff and noise ????

He said the VIN's are the same, see #21.

9:15 EDT rant. Long day.

caddysornothin49
04-28-08, 07:12 PM
Unless I have forgotten how to spell/print/read, the lower half of post #27 says pretty much the same thing as post #25, which is also the highlighted carryover quote. Criminey jeepers, don't no one read nuttin' past one post in here before throwing out more chaff and noise ????

He said the VIN's are the same, see #21.

9:15 EDT rant. Long day.

Lol you crack me up sub. But everyone who chimed in on this i appreciate it. Yeah I will post a pic of the door sticker and I will also get the RPO # and post it. Might take me a day or so but I will get it posted and you guys let me know what you think in terms of the sticker being fake etc...

caddysornothin49
04-28-08, 07:23 PM
On 2000+ cars

QCH is the H rated
QDO is a Z rated

It's pretty obvious that the N* was built for power and performance. So in my mind I don't even see a need to put a speed limiter on it. I mean shi* every1 I have seen driving a Seville around Boise is at least 60 plus yrs old prob the original owner and has prob never pushed the car passed 75 mph. This is not an insult to my elders in any way. But i just feel you should have a choice on whether or not you want a limiter and at what speed to set it at. That's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. But I guess if you buy the car new you have that choice. But i would never buy a brand new car. Just my own preference. So anyways I guess 130 will just have to do

AJxtcman
04-28-08, 08:27 PM
It's pretty obvious that the N* was built for power and performance. So in my mind I don't even see a need to put a speed limiter on it. I mean shi* every1 I have seen driving a Seville around Boise is at least 60 plus yrs old prob the original owner and has prob never pushed the car passed 75 mph. This is not an insult to my elders in any way. But i just feel you should have a choice on whether or not you want a limiter and at what speed to set it at. That's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. But I guess if you buy the car new you have that choice. But i would never buy a brand new car. Just my own preference. So anyways I guess 130 will just have to do

It is common sense.
You put a 100 mph tire on a car and run it at 145 mph. Then the tire blows. Then you die. Then your family sues. Hmmmmmm

OK GM puts cheap tires on a Deville. The limiter kicks in at 108, your tire does not blow out and your family is happy

caddysornothin49
04-28-08, 09:40 PM
It is common sense.
You put a 100 mph tire on a car and run it at 145 mph. Then the tire blows. Then you die. Then your family sues. Hmmmmmm

OK GM puts cheap tires on a Deville. The limiter kicks in at 108, your tire does not blow out and your family is happy

MMMMM good Obvious point AJ. You didn't need to put me on blast about it but whatever. Obviously you don't buy a car that you plan on driving well over a hundo and not address the tires before doing so. I think your talking about a different crowed than me. No your not gonna pile your family into the caddy and gun it done the highway. But its really not a big issues i was just curious

AJxtcman
04-29-08, 08:07 AM
MMMMM good Obvious point AJ. You didn't need to put me on blast about it but whatever. Obviously you don't buy a car that you plan on driving well over a hundo and not address the tires before doing so. I think your talking about a different crowed than me. No your not gonna pile your family into the caddy and gun it done the highway. But its really not a big issues i was just curious

Most of the Z and W rated tires that Cadillac used had high dollar replacement cost. They also wear faster. We got an 07 CTS with performance tires in off the truck about two years ago. The tires looked like they were almost worn out. Hmm new car worn tires. The window sticker stated that the car had performance tires and the life of the tires was 12K miles. The outside tread was almost on the wear bars. Lets just say they were $250 each X 4 = $1000 a year. The typical Cadillac owner would never pay out $1000 in tires for the whole time they own the car. The other exception would be a Vogue tyre owner

caddysornothin49
04-29-08, 03:04 PM
Most of the Z and W rated tires that Cadillac used had high dollar replacement cost. They also wear faster. We got an 07 CTS with performance tires in off the truck about two years ago. The tires looked like they were almost worn out. Hmm new car worn tires. The window sticker stated that the car had performance tires and the life of the tires was 12K miles. The outside tread was almost on the wear bars. Lets just say they were $250 each X 4 = $1000 a year. The typical Cadillac owner would never pay out $1000 in tires for the whole time they own the car. The other exception would be a Vogue tyre owner

That's very true AJ. To me I feel it's just a flat out waste of money to shell that much out for tires that ware that quickly. That 07 CTS story sounded a lil sketchy. Brand new ride fresh off the truck with worn out expensive as* performance tires. MMMM not good! I get the point your making though AJ.

Highline Cady
04-29-08, 05:14 PM
Remember Goodyear GSC's, they were half used up before you even put one mile on them. Gotta love performance tires. LOL

AJxtcman
04-29-08, 06:43 PM
That's very true AJ. To me I feel it's just a flat out waste of money to shell that much out for tires that ware that quickly. That 07 CTS story sounded a lil sketchy. Brand new ride fresh off the truck with worn out expensive as* performance tires. MMMM not good! I get the point your making though AJ.

The tires looked worn. They were brand new.

caddysornothin49
04-30-08, 03:15 AM
The tires looked worn. They were brand new.

Lol that makes the story that much better!!!

Submariner409
04-30-08, 10:09 AM
..........racing or high performance road racing tires have little or no (3/32" to 5/32") tread. Most "Luxury Touring" or "High Performance" V, W, or Z - rated passenger car tires carry around 10/32" to 12/32" tread depth. Tread depths much over 1/8" tend to be too "squirrely" for high speed maneuvering and straightaway use, and that type of tire is designed to last until 100 feet past the checkered flag, no more. Don't misunderstand: there are racing tires with somewhat more tread, but they only go on when the rain comes down..........

If you bought a set of ultra-sticky "look what I got" race tires for, say, $350-$500 each, and they plain flat wore out in 3,000 miles, would you be a happy camper ?

Anybody wanna hazard a guess as to the price of a set of tires for the new 600+ HP Corvette ??

caddysornothin49
04-30-08, 08:36 PM
..........racing or high performance road racing tires have little or no (3/32" to 5/32") tread. Most "Luxury Touring" or "High Performance" V, W, or Z - rated passenger car tires carry around 10/32" to 12/32" tread depth. Tread depths much over 1/8" tend to be too "squirrely" for high speed maneuvering and straightaway use, and that type of tire is designed to last until 100 feet past the checkered flag, no more. Don't misunderstand: there are racing tires with somewhat more tread, but they only go on when the rain comes down..........

If you bought a set of ultra-sticky "look what I got" race tires for, say, $350-$500 each, and they plain flat wore out in 3,000 miles, would you be a happy camper ?

Anybody wanna hazard a guess as to the price of a set of tires for the new 600+ HP Corvette ??

I don't even want to attempt to guess on that.. But i'm thinking if you just purchased a brand new 600hp Corvette. You are probably not to worried about how much tires will cost ya. But i'm sure they are pretty expensive

Murphyg
04-30-08, 11:23 PM

What throws you off is the statement of "HIGH PERFORMANCE racing" and the labeling of "HIGH PERFORMANCE tires".
Not saying that you sub are the one thats throwing anyone off. Did take me a bit though to do the math. Its just the way its all marketed.
High performance racing tires compared to high performance rated tires are 2 totally different animals.

On 2000+ cars

My 01 is W rated 235 55 17.
Came with the Eagle RSAs'

And I find that they are too slick. Even with traction control turned on they do spin for a minuscule of a second.

I can get 7 years off that harder slicker Eagle. And thats 2 years longer than a tire should be on a car.

So Im lookin for something a bit softer so as to get the full use of the tread that will also give me security with the way the roads are..
just common economical sense.

Dont be a Chad or a Biff and buy tires to show off at the coffee shop. Just to show to all the others how much you spent and how cool you are. Buy tires that will get you and your ole lady home safe every day. Save that cash and take her out to a nice dinner.
Makes much more of an impression than smokin away 800 dollars to impress a bunch of jagg offs that are hangin around with no idea what to do with there lives.

chubbyranger
05-01-08, 06:43 AM
So are the only actual differences between a Z-rated and non-Z car the stock tires and PCM? It kinda begs the question of why you can't swap a Z PCM into a non-Z car for the 4,000th person who posts wanting to know how to undo their speed limiter...

caddysornothin49
05-01-08, 09:52 AM
So are the only actual differences between a Z-rated and non-Z car the stock tires and PCM? It kinda begs the question of why you can't swap a Z PCM into a non-Z car for the 4,000th person who posts wanting to know how to undo their speed limiter...

Mmmmmm good question! :thumbsup:

Have to wait for the wiser to chime in on that one

Ur7x
05-01-08, 05:18 PM

Yes and Yes...
AJ (on this forum) and Westers Garage (who apparently "obtained" AJ's technique) enable this for about $400.

I can also add that I have a "W" car and my RSA Badyears lasted almost 50,000 miles and my A/S Pilots have 30,000 miles on them with enough tread to go another 30,000 miles

Murphyg
05-02-08, 08:35 PM

If your vehicle doesnt have the speed limiter. And you intend to run as such.
Then you should get tires that are rated for it.
Its a little dangerous to be running at speeds that your tires aren't rated for.

Which works the other way as well. (Im Guessing ?)
If you are speed limited. Then its a waste of money to pay the extra for high speed tires.

chubbyranger
05-02-08, 08:50 PM
Its a little dangerous to be running at speeds that your tires aren't rated for.

Fortunately as soon as I checked the door sticker to find out my car is a Z I also thought to check the tires to find out they're not...

Murphyg
05-02-08, 09:50 PM
As long as your not exceeding the speeds for which your tires are rated then you should be fine.
Just because its a Z rated vehicle. It doesnt mean that you have to get the same rated tires. It depends on the speeds in which you drive.
My vehicle also is not speed limited. But I dont intend on paying extra for tires that are rated for the top speed of my car.
Only because I know that I will not be bringing it to those speeds.
Im not planning to take it to the track. And there is no way in hell I would trust the roads around here to be safe enough to get anywhere near the "Full" potential of what my car can do.