: Possible Fuel issue?

STS127
04-22-08, 08:11 PM
Alright we all know how outrageous the current fuel prices are. They were so high that I stupidly decided to put in 89 instead of the usual 93 to save a couple of bucks. So I was driving and the car died a couple of times, however it would start right back up. Just like when the oil level got too low. Another issue with this could be that the temperatures all of the sudden went up here in Massachusetts, could there be something like moisture or vapor leaks in the fuel line. When it has gotten cooler out it has not died but on the other hand the 89 has cycled its way out of the fuel system, I think. Has anybody expierienced something like this? I think it was the fuel but not sure.

krimson_cardnal
04-22-08, 10:12 PM
Running 89 will have no ill effects on your ride, search the forum - it's been beaten to death. NorthStar is smart enough to know how to deal with it. So the oil level got so low the engine quit?? Pull codes to see whats up. Post them for assistance. K_C

Ranger
04-22-08, 10:18 PM
KC is right. I ran my '97 on regular for 3 year and could not even tell the difference. What you are experiencing is NOT fuel related.

chubbyranger
04-22-08, 11:05 PM
You could have coincidentally gotten a load of crappy 89 octane gas though.

bg561
04-25-08, 02:26 AM
what gas should you on a 02 cadilac deville and what are the easy steps on a tune up

Submariner409
04-25-08, 11:35 AM
bg......The owner's manual recommends a minimum pump octane of 87, and what makes you think you need a "tune up" ? There should be nothing needed before 100,000 miles, there are no plug wires to change, fuel filters are huge and last forever on today's clean prefiltered fuels, the air cleaner should be changed every 10,000 - 15,000 miles, search in back through these forum pages and learn how to do a throttlebody cleaning and WOT (Wide Open Throttle) carbon cleanout runs. Run a good brand of 5W-30 dino or synthetic engine oil, don't fill it past halfway up the dipstick hashmark; have your coolant changed every 4 - 5 years, max.

I could go on and on for another 6 pages, but it's all in here and the Deville threads ^^^. Sit with a brew and begin going back through the forums and learn. Buy a Cadillac FSM (Factory Service Maual) from www.helminc.com. Read your owner's manual cover to cover, and don't get creative with snake oil, fluids, tornadoes, widgets, etc.

Ranger
04-25-08, 11:37 AM
2000+ was designed to run on 87. They also have no plug wires so all you need to change is plugs.

krimson_cardnal
04-25-08, 07:31 PM
Hey Sub - Just read your post. It's 6:30 on a beautiful Friday evening - the robins are singing all over the place and you just made the beer god knock on the door. Goin' for a cool six of Molson Ice and break open the FSM. Thanks partner. You knowith of what you speakith, bg561 take heed brother. K_C

kdcing
04-25-08, 08:58 PM
Do a search of crank positions sensors...I believe the symptoms that your engine is exhibiting (i.e. engine dies while driving, but will start right back up) are classic signs of bad crank position sensors.

Submariner409
04-25-08, 09:31 PM
kdcing, STS127, Fuel changeover (and octane) should have no effect on a 96 car and engine performance symptoms because there is no change in formulation now that emissions controls are in place for quite a few states and urban areas. With the MTBE phaseout almost everyone is on the political ethanol bandwagon, so you can forget about winter and summer fuels. CKP faults were generally confined to the '99 - '03 N* series, BUT that doesn't mean you can't have a hiccup in the CKP pair. Watch your symptoms and pull the DTC's, log your findings, and give the problem time to develop. No sense throwing money at it now: wait until you get a definite code set.