: Seafoam and Seafoam Deep Creep

AlmostAV
04-22-08, 06:35 PM
Has anyone used this stuff and done the complete process? If so what were the results. I have heard several positive things about this stuff. Cleans the engine out really good, and restores lost power.

Some guy even picked up 9rwhp on the dyno, and was able to advance the timing properly.

I bought the kit, and Im going to try it tomorrow.

rangerrob
04-22-08, 06:49 PM
i have used seafoam on my 4runner before... put a full can into the throttle body and another into the gas tank... boy did it shoot out white smoke for a good 15 minutes... just follow the instructions and you should be ok... as far as acutally noticing improvement, it's very slim... i jsut did it to do it... can't really verify better results though... haven't tried it on my V yet..

Black Sunshine
04-22-08, 07:01 PM
I've used Seafoam for years. Great stuff.

I usually just buy two cans for a treatment along with one of those empty spray bottles.

Pour a can in the tank at empty then fill with fresh gas.

Pour 1/3 a can into the spray bottle. Crank the warm engine. Pull the throttlebody intake boot and spray the throttlebody clean and the rest into the intake.

Pour the remaining into the throttle body in measured amounts (not enough to completely choke the engine) and then as nearing the last bit pour it all in and choke the engine.

Let it sit overnight. Crank it up in the morning and kill small flying insects for a lil while. Rev it up. Get rid of the bad ol tar and carbon.

It makes a marked improvement if you haven't done a treatment in about 40K miles and been burning the cheap gas. I do all my cars every 30K and don't burn discount gas.

AlmostAV
04-22-08, 07:02 PM
i think ur results are negligible because you did it on a 4runner lol...how much power can be felt in those anyways. Im hoping for improvement at idle....the idle dips....throttle response etc.....

AlmostAV
04-22-08, 07:03 PM
we should meet up sometime sunshine. im not far from you.

rangerrob
04-23-08, 10:46 AM
i think ur results are negligible because you did it on a 4runner lol...how much power can be felt in those anyways. Im hoping for improvement at idle....the idle dips....throttle response etc.....

don't knock the 4runner, it's all TRD, supercharged, headers, exhaust... it'll get up and go... never dyno'd but i'm estimating it's over 300hp with everything i've done to it...

Sunshine, you let it sit overnight before starting it up? I was told to let it sit for maybe 15 minutes max and then start it up to get that stuff out of the engine... never heard of leaving it in overnight... then again, maybe that's why i didnt' see a noticeable improvement...

faylix
04-23-08, 12:17 PM
I'm interested.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/images/Deep-Creep-small.jpg

This?

Buy two bottles, One through the gas tank and out through the throttle boddy?

faylix
04-23-08, 12:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef3HNvxblxQ&feature=related

Despite the fact that its a v6 stang....

MauiV
04-23-08, 03:18 PM
Brake Boost line? Am I missing something?

Leeman
04-23-08, 03:33 PM
Power brakes get their vacuum from the intake manifold (vacuum port). The brake booster line is an easy way to get stuff into the intake manifold (unhook from brake booster and connect to can).

-- Lee

MauiV
04-23-08, 03:35 PM
Ah hah.

Brilliant!!

jr_vette
04-24-08, 09:45 AM
I don't recommend the brake booster line. It's too large of a diameter. Unless you're really careful, you can cause too much Seafoam to enter the intake manifold at once. The last thing you want to do is hydrolock the engine. Also, the pcv is the source of your intake manifold oil buildup. Why not start at the source?

I always pull the pcv line off, and hook a hose up to the throttle body. I then have a smaller line that I hook up to that hose. That way there is not as big of a risk of doing damage to the engine.

Let it sit for at least 15 minutes.
Always make sure you change your oil afterwards, unless you want all that crap that seeps past the rings to slosh around in your crankcase until the next oil change.

AlmostAV
04-24-08, 05:49 PM
jr I dont understand what your talking about. I was under the impression that....

I add one can to the gas tank

Half a can directly to the crankcase

Half a can fed through a vacuum line slowly

And then remove my intake tube, and spray the throttle body blades and inside the intake manifold with the deep creep.

What step would your suggestion :
I always pull the pcv line off, and hook a hose up to the throttle body. I then have a smaller line that I hook up to that hose. That way there is not as big of a risk of doing damage to the engine. take the place of???

jr_vette
04-25-08, 11:23 AM
take the place of???

There was someone else in the thread that was recommending the brake booster line. That line is too honking big, and can cause way too much Seafoam to be sucked in. Plus it's on the back side of the intake manifold which doesn't really follow the path of the oil that gets sucked into the intake manifold.

type911
04-25-08, 11:27 AM
Had a dieseling problem with my old 258 Jeep. It would run on for a minute after key off when hot. Seafoam cured it. The before and after of the valve train was night and day. I assume it cleaned most off the carbon internally and that got rid of the run on. GM techs have been using some other manufacturer that does the same thing. I can't recall the name.

MauiV
04-25-08, 12:17 PM
So should you also change the fuel filter afterwards?

SkullV
04-26-08, 12:53 PM
I am sure most of you remember me complaining about valvetrain noise after I installed my headers. Well after doing the seafoam treatment that was described here its is almost gone!! I definitely recommend using the seafoam if you have any kind of ticking from your headers because it may be easily corrected!

AlmostAV
04-26-08, 09:30 PM
when did you do it skull and what was your method, please explain.

SkullV
04-26-08, 11:01 PM
when did you do it skull and what was your method, please explain.

Did it yesterday afternoon, poured a can in the gas tank, 1/2 can in the brake booster line SLOWLY (while running), let it sit for an hour, start it back up rev it up a bunch of times then let it idle for 15 min. Then I drove it until the tank was empty. Quiet valve train!

Bueller
04-27-08, 11:01 AM
SkullV
How many miles does your car have? Sounds like you had some carbon buildup on a valve or seat and now it closes better...I don't know. Interesting.

Does everyone think this is a benefit to cars with higher mileage only? Mine only has 9K miles. Should this maybe be a mainitnence item at 25-30K.

I would like to hear some of the tech's advice here. I used to do the water in the carb trick on big blocks to keep them clean but didn't think of trying it with any electronics / emissions in the car.

SkullV
04-27-08, 02:42 PM
SkullV
How many miles does your car have? Sounds like you had some carbon buildup on a valve or seat and now it closes better...I don't know. Interesting.

16,xxx miles, I bought it used at 5,000 miles and it was a GM executive car. I have come to the conclusion that whatever 16 year old kid of a GM exec was driving that car beat on it pretty bad. Everything is finally working well on it now!

AlmostAV
04-27-08, 07:27 PM
no 16 year old would be caught in a red V....sorry.

lol.

had to do it.

CTSV_510
04-14-09, 08:55 PM
Is this safe to put through a maggie (intercooler and rotors)?

The Tony Show
04-15-09, 10:55 AM
16,xxx miles, I bought it used at 5,000 miles and it was a GM executive car. I have come to the conclusion that whatever 16 year old kid of a GM exec was driving that car beat on it pretty bad. Everything is finally working well on it now!

Carbon buildup on the valves would be the result of either driving like a grandma or using cheap gas, not beating on the car.

QKSLVRTA
04-15-09, 11:10 AM
have been seafoaming my TA for a couple years now haven't done the V yet.... only problem i ever had was the first time i did the TA @65K+ it fouled out both O2 sensors LOL other then that first time problem works like a charm

lollygagger8
04-15-09, 02:21 PM
I've used seafoam in every one of my Jeeps for years. Gets rid of carbon deposits, fuel line gunk, and helped cure idling problems. Haven't used it in my V yet.

I always poured 1/2 down the throttle body, then the rest through the brake booster. Lots of vacuum coming from that booster, so just get the hose close to the top of the liquid level, not into it or it will be too much and kill the engine. It will suck up the liquid no prob.

Make sure you do this in an open area (like a parking lot) cuz it'll smoke like crazy!

SkullV
04-15-09, 02:25 PM
Carbon buildup on the valves would be the result of either driving like a grandma or using cheap gas, not beating on the car.

Thanks for the correction....well its ticking like a bitch again...but I beat on it...so I'm pretty sure its just standard LS6+Headers valvetrain noise.

814V
04-15-09, 03:34 PM
my ls6 ticks like a bitch as well.. tried switching brands of oil, running a few bottles of techron trhough it. nothing seems to help. but i guess as long as it doesn't esplode who cares

CTSV_510
04-15-09, 07:39 PM

yes I brought this thread back from last year.

and yes I am still looking for an answer to this?

I assume it's fine but I hate assuming things.

MauiV
04-15-09, 11:41 PM

You let me know what happens. I have 79,XXX miles on the V and 2 cans of Seafoam sitting in the garage. I also need to run it through the 188,XXX mile XJ. I want to run it through the oil but I am too scared of what it would loosen up and foul the motor with.

Vids of this would be great BTW.

darkman
04-15-09, 11:52 PM
I keep my cars 10+ years and drive them to 125K+ miles. I have never used Seafoam and I don't think I will start now.

JimmyH
04-16-09, 08:34 AM
my ls6 ticks like a bitch as well.. tried switching brands of oil, running a few bottles of techron trhough it. nothing seems to help. but i guess as long as it doesn't esplode who cares

My Maxima ticked like a clock through an amplifier for 8 years and almost 200k miles with not a single engine problem.

I keep my cars 10+ years and drive them to 125K+ miles. I have never used Seafoam and I don't think I will start now.
+1

My Maxima operated sans Seafoam for 8 years and almost 200k miles with not a single engine problem.

bpitas
04-16-09, 09:28 AM
jr I dont understand what your talking about. I was under the impression that....

I add one can to the gas tank

Half a can directly to the crankcase

Half a can fed through a vacuum line slowly

And then remove my intake tube, and spray the throttle body blades and inside the intake manifold with the deep creep.

What step would your suggestion : take the place of???

So I bought this stuff a few months back and never used it, but when I bought it the stuff I had read said mainly to put some in the gas tank and some through the brake booster. I was watching that MustangV6 youtube video, and I guess I had never noticed anyone saying to put some directly into the crankcase before. I that really what you're supposed to do? I was thinking of this stuff like fuel-injector cleaner, but if that's the case I would think it would practically eat engine oil alive! The thought of putting it in the crank case definitely scares me. Can anyone confirm that it's OK to do so?

AlmostAV
04-16-09, 10:59 AM
1000000000% it is ok to put in the crankcase. Change your oil after 100-200 miles NO MORE.

seafoam.com...look up the uses...everything is ok...this is a 100% petroleum based product guys.

and yes you can run cars up to 200k without using this stuff. That is true. However, it wont get as good of gas mileage nor will the power be on par with when you got it unless you maintain (ie clean) the engine on a somewhat often basis (every year and half or 15-20k miles)

I promise you guys this stuff is for real. People who have been working on and building cars for years use this stuff cause it works.

youtube videos of seafoam, and watch the black crap that shoots out of peoples exhausts after doing the treatment, and you tell me how removing carbon buildup is a bad thing????

bpitas
04-16-09, 11:31 AM
I'm just conservative when it comes to stuff like that. Pouring random stuff into the crank-case is risky. If that seafoam stuff isn't a high-quality lubricant and it displaces the Mobile one in the crank bearings or something, it's only going to take a few seconds to score stuff up beyond repair... And it's not something you'll even notice right away, but could lead to a failure later. I think the intake system is completely different - if it pulls carbon off the valves or whatever the worst it could probably do is increase blow-by in cases where the carbon was actually sealing up the valve seals, and that's probably outweighed by it cleaning out the injectors and getting you a better distributed spray pattern.
BTW - you can't use seafoam.com as a reference for whether seafoam works or not! LOL I'll bet if you look on Slick50s website that stuff works too! :-)

Dorrien
04-16-09, 12:56 PM
i used it on my millenia S when i had terrible knocking and lag. that car had a supercharger as well and nothing happened to it..although not as strong as the maggie. once i used it the knocking was gone and throttle response was back. it lasted a couple days so i did it again and more black stuff came out..so i guess it was alot in there..before i had to do it again i traded it in for my V :thumbsup:

but i put a full can in the gas tank and a full can through my pcv...being that it was so short i used a straw from Mcdonalds and attached it to my pcv hose and let is suck the seafoam right out the can a lil at a time. when done i drove around the neighborhood bellowing white smoke lol.

AlmostAV
04-16-09, 06:39 PM
BTW - you can't use seafoam.com as a reference for whether seafoam works or not! LOL I'll bet if you look on Slick50s website that stuff works too! :-)

First off I wasnt using seafoams website to show whether it works. I was showing its potential uses, and was answering your question as to whether or not it was ok to put into the crankcase....and yes it is.

Im the original poster. Ive used this stuff so many times I cant even count. everyone i know personally that is a car fanatic uses it and lives by it. And everyone asks how i got 386rwhp out of my V. (even my tuner said..."your engine just feels clean" when he was wot on the dyno).....cause my engine is clean and free of stuck valves and free of excessive carbon build up. I dont base the fact that this stuff works on anything but the amount of crap that I personally see come out of my exhaust tips everytime I do this process. That crap is carbon deposits being cleaned and blown out of the motor. Thats a good thing. Im not going to do anymore defending on this stuff....if you dont like the idea of doing it....dont do it.....but dont expect to have as clean of a motor, get as good of gas mileage, or maintain the performance of the motor at 75k, as it was at day 1, when compared to someone that does use the stuff.

bpitas
04-16-09, 06:52 PM
How'd you know I have 75k miles on my motor?
(within like 10 miles - not bad!)

CTSV_510
04-16-09, 10:03 PM
You let me know what happens. I have 79,XXX miles on the V and 2 cans of Seafoam sitting in the garage. I also need to run it through the 188,XXX mile XJ. I want to run it through the oil but I am too scared of what it would loosen up and foul the motor with.

Vids of this would be great BTW.

FYI - I started a thead about seafoam and magnachargers specifically.

I spoke to Magnuson and they said NO F'N WAY can you use seafoam with a maggie. So I don't think I'll be getting and videos for ya.

stuckey
04-17-09, 12:21 AM
Ok so I bought 2 cans of Seafoam today. Planning on doing this tomorrow or saturday. Let me get this straight. I put 1 can in the fuel tank and fill up. Put half a can down the trottle body after cleaning the TB blade with it. Then put half a can through the brake booster hose? I've never done this so I'm a little worried. I know to suck it up through the hose slowly holding the hose just above the liquid line. how fast do I pour it down the TB? do I pour it down the TB or take the TB off? seems like it would be kind of tough pour it down the TB without making a mess. Thanks in advance for helping the noob.

JimmyH
04-17-09, 09:43 AM
and yes you can run cars up to 200k without using this stuff. That is true. However, it wont get as good of gas mileage nor will the power be on par with when you got it unless you maintain (ie clean) the engine on a somewhat often basis (every year and half or 15-20k miles)

My previous car (00 Maxima) was about 15.2-15.5 off the lot. After 80k miles it was 15.0 (14.8 on a g-meter). Still 15.0 after about 130k miles (I never timed it after that). And I was still getting 28mpg on road trips. Moral of the story, with no engine treatments/cleanings/etc it was still running better than new.

I promise you guys this stuff is for real. People who have been working on and building cars for years use this stuff cause it works.

There are just as many car experts who say it is snake oil.

Bueller
04-17-09, 10:11 AM
Anyone have any more info on how to pour this in the TB? It seems like gravity won't allow this.

AlmostAV
04-17-09, 10:48 AM
it comes with a straw. the stuff your supposed to spray into the throttle body is called seafoam deep creep. a great writeup can be found on ls1tech.com regarding this process.....

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/534376-how-seafoam-your-car.html

i follow this same process to a "t" when I do the cleaning.

lollygagger8
04-17-09, 10:53 AM
Anyone have any more info on how to pour this in the TB? It seems like gravity won't allow this.

Ok so I bought 2 cans of Seafoam today. Planning on doing this tomorrow or saturday. Let me get this straight. I put 1 can in the fuel tank and fill up. Put half a can down the trottle body after cleaning the TB blade with it. Then put half a can through the brake booster hose? I've never done this so I'm a little worried. I know to suck it up through the hose slowly holding the hose just above the liquid line. how fast do I pour it down the TB? do I pour it down the TB or take the TB off? seems like it would be kind of tough pour it down the TB without making a mess. Thanks in advance for helping the noob.

Ya, our TB's are horizontal so.....
Either get a spray bottle and pour the seafoam into it, then spray it in the TB, or use the Deep Creep (has plastic tube sprayer on it) I'd use half the bottle in the TB and the other half through the brake booster

I'm thinking the Deep Creep is the same as Seafoam...correct me if I'm wrong though.

lollygagger8
04-17-09, 11:02 AM
it comes with a straw. the stuff your supposed to spray into the throttle body is called seafoam deep creep. a great writeup can be found on ls1tech.com regarding this process.....

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/534376-how-seafoam-your-car.html

i follow this same process to a "t" when I do the cleaning.

Oooooohh, good find! :2thumbs:

AlmostAV
04-17-09, 11:14 AM
Deep Creep is seafoam in an aerosol can

stuckey
04-17-09, 05:54 PM
just got done with my cleansing and SPIRITED driving. No lights popped up and no fouled plugs yet.... nothing to it though. mine wasnt too dirty judging by the amount of smoke i generated. but still couldnt hurt to do this. I won't say it won't hurt your car for sure, but mine has done good so far.

SkullV
04-17-09, 08:28 PM
Deep Creep is seafoam in an aerosol can

I thought deep creep was more like a PB blaster type thing?

stuckey
04-17-09, 08:48 PM
it is sort of i guess I used it spraying very very liberal amounts down the throat of the TB and cleaning the TB blades

the easiest way i found to feed seafoam through the brake booster line was to get a 20 ounce dasani bottle and tilt the bottle with the hose at the lip (not shoved down in the bottle) and it sucks it right up. bottle is clear so u can see how much is goin in at once

AlmostAV
04-17-09, 09:31 PM
according to the rep i spoke to at seafoam a while back, deep creep is seafoam in an aerosol can.

SkullV
04-17-09, 10:40 PM
according to the rep i spoke to at seafoam a while back, deep creep is seafoam in an aerosol can.

On their website they basically describe PB blaster in the deep creep description, but it seems like it also does everything seafoam does.

AlmostAV
04-18-09, 01:09 PM
copied from their website:

Cleans, penetrates, lubricates and dries, all from a 100% pure petroleum product. For use in all 2 and 4 cycle gas and diesel engines. Spray into carburetor to start engines. Use to clean and lubricate air tools, door locks, and guns. Hundreds of household and shop uses. DEEP CREEP works with instant action and is oxygen sensor safe. DEEP CREEP is SEA FOAM in an aerosol can.

bpitas
04-20-09, 12:14 AM
I did part of the job this weekend - ran most of a bottle through the brake booster hose, then killed it, and waited 10 mins (while I deep-creeped the throttle body) and then restarted. I was outside in my driveway, but had left the garage door open (and the damned kids left the door from the garage to the basement open) so I effectively fumigated my basement. LOL
Anyway, I got plenty of white smoke when I revved it up after the 10 minutes was done. Looked like steam more than anything.
Driving the car around, it DID seem like it was a bit more responsive, although I'm pretty sure it was psychological, like the way your butt-dyno gets all excited after you install a new mod like a cat-back exhaust that really doesn't do anything performance-wise. :)
Anyway, I'll run 2/3 of a can through my next tank of gas, and then the final 1/3 into my crank case next time I change the oil. Still not super comfortable with running it through the oil system, but enough people have said they do it that I'll try it anyway.

AlmostAV
04-20-09, 12:23 AM
someone should do a before after dyno.

take a V that has never been seafoamed with anywhere from 30k-100k++ miles dyno it.....seafoam it (just the deep creep and brake booster) that day and redyno it

id be intersted.

danneybo
12-06-12, 03:10 AM
I dont let the line suck it in...i put a funnel at the very end of the tube and poor a very little amount at a time. Works great for me that way.

odthetruth
12-07-12, 01:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAIXViWvmlg

LOL Don't mind the music. I seafoamed at about 118k miles... did compression test at around 128k miles along with spark plug change, etc. Compression was 180+ all cyl. Ended up dynoing 372/361 with 132k miles on it on TuneTime's stingy Mustang Dyno. LOL But first time I seafoamed it, I had 1 misfire on startup. Afterwards, all went back to normal. I do feel it works very well.