: Help!!!what Parts Do I Need For N*headgasket Replacements?

VIPERRACING
04-22-08, 12:16 PM
Hi guys, Im getting ready to have my 99 sts motor pulled for the streched head bolt headgasket problem and was wondering were to buy my new parts and if there is any upgraded parts to replace the old stuff with such as headgaskets, head bolts, spark plugs etc.... Does someone make a complete upper end gasket kit? Thanks for any and all help.

chubbyranger
04-22-08, 11:01 PM
Sorry to hear there's another member of the club. There's thread/poll running right now about the type of gaskets you can use. Other things to look for while the motor is out are cams and lifters - both my exhaust cams were junk and the lifters starting to show wear. According to AJ this is not uncommon in these motors. Also consider doing the lower crankcase half-seal while the motor is out if you have any seepage starting. There is a revised procedure posted here, I think by AJ. Hopefully your motor is getting dropped, not pulled. Dropping is much more simpler according to most here. How many miles on your car before it blew?

CadiJeff
04-22-08, 11:13 PM
make sure the proper timesert procedure is done and not just new head bolts or your new HG will be toast in no time.

RickyHenry
04-25-08, 03:31 AM
are you doing this project yourself? We are just about finished with our project. I read you can go with the upper end MLS (multi layered steel) head gaskets, but I opted for the standard felpro OEM type. I think, in my own research, that after the head bolt problem is fixed with new inserts, you shouldn't have a problem with the head gaskets any longer. I used the NS300L insert kit from Ebay for $350. I also replaced my intake manifold gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, main seal, front seal, head cover seals. Now, I havn't started my engine up yet because the engine isn't in the car yet, but I think I'm doing everything right. The #1 biggest suggestion I heard all over the place was to make sure to put inserts in the block. Timeserts were recommended but the NS300L was more highly suggested amongst the crew here who have gone through the same problem.

zonie77
04-25-08, 10:58 PM
I think Lawrence put up a spreadsheet with part numbers a while ago but I didn't save it. Maybe some one has a link to it.