: Another overheater...

derck_mullin
04-22-08, 09:50 AM
OK, so I picked the car up this past weekend after sitting for about a month in a parking lot and drove it home. On the way I get a coolant hot message, then a coolant overheating, engine overheating, turn motor off message. I pull over and shut the car off. Finally get the thing home. I went ahead and bought a t-stat since they're cheap.

This morning replaced t-stat and started the car up. Overheated again. I checked the purge line and it's fine. I tried running the heat, but nothing but cold air comes out. Also, the upper rad hose is limp and not hot so it appears the coolant isn't flowing through it. The fans work and the coolant level in the reservoir is fine. Bad radiator or bad water pump or something else? Obviously the H2O ain't flowing, but I don't know what the reason would be. And this was something that just happened out of the blue, which is why I initially suspected the t-stat. BTW the car is a 94 STS w/265K on the clock!!!

Thanks for the help!

Derck

Ranger
04-22-08, 12:44 PM
Have the coolant checked for the presence of exhaust gases. Could be a bad head gasket. 265K eh? :thumbsup:

derck_mullin
04-22-08, 02:25 PM
Yep...do I win the high miler prize???

One VERY important thing I left out. When I left the car apparently I took the cap off of the overflow tank for some reason and forgot about it. When I first got the overheat message and pulled over, the cap was sitting on the shock tower:hmm: Anyway now I'm thinking this all might be due to a BUNCH of air in the system. I've tried filling up the overflow, but it doesn't seem to be taking the coolant and pushing it into the system. Is there any way to "force feed" the coolant system if this is the case? I'm worried my pump might just be pumping air and this is causing all the problems.

Thanks!

krimson_cardnal
04-22-08, 02:46 PM
Fill the tank with 50/50, idle the engine. As it warms up it will draw coolant into the engine. Water pump will circulate water, once t-stat opens it will be pushed into the engine. A few hand revs to the throttle will help, but you'll need to allow it a bit of time. You will see the level in the overflow drop, top it off. Once thing are hot and the level is up securely fasten the cap and take a spin around the block. A light drive will purge the system. Park it have a cool drink and after an hour go back, pop the cap and bring the level up. The cap being off might very well be the root of the problem. Stay calm the HG gods are watching - but might not have struck yet. K_C

derck_mullin
04-22-08, 04:40 PM
Might need to make this a new thread, but...I have a HUGE leak, but can't tell where it's coming from. When the motor is running there is a stream (no kidding) of water coming from somewhere by the #8 cylinder exhaust. Everything is pretty tight in there so I can't really get a good look. Does this sound like a possible HG or more like a leaking water pump or something else??? I'll do some searching and see what I can find.

Derck

dwight.j.carter
04-22-08, 04:51 PM
sounds like water pump or heater core don't quote me though.

derck_mullin
04-22-08, 04:52 PM
I'm gonna keep searching here to see if something similar pops up. I sure hope it's something that simple...

derck_mullin
04-22-08, 05:06 PM
OK, so I thought it might be something easy...seems that's not likely. I pulled all the stuff (airbox, front rad cover, etc) so I could get a good look at the car while it's running since I found it is leaking coolant. When running a freakin stream of coolant is coming from the right front of the motor. It appear to be just above where the #8 exhaust port is. I can't really get in much better to look, but can see it plain as day. Anyone??? I'm hoping for a water pump or heater core or something, but guess it could be HG.

Thanks!

Derck

Ranger
04-22-08, 07:22 PM
Right front is passengers side by the firewall. Water pump is on the left rear of the engine. You need to be more specific on exactly where you're seeing this.

derck_mullin
04-22-08, 09:00 PM
Ranger,

Sorry, but I meant as I'm looking at the engine while standing in front of the car. I have verified unfortunately it is the HG. It is pumping water out of it like that's what it was meant to do. It's right where the right cylinder head mates to the block, which is right by where the coolant crossover connects as well. It was a bit tough to see exactly where it was coming from, but I got under the car with it running and after a little bit of neck craning I was able to get a good look. I didn't know they would get this bad, but seems like every time I start the car the leak gets more severe.

This really sucks tho...when I bought the car I wasn't over concerned with the HGs b/c they had already been replaced so I thought I was safe. :banghead:Not sure what to do now...I only bought the car as a beater. Dumping a bunch of money into it seems to be a bit of a waste.

Anyone ever done just one side and does it make sense to do that? Only the right cylinder head is leaking and I was thinking I might not even have to pull the motor to do the "front" head.

Thanks,

Derck

tateos
04-22-08, 09:37 PM
You can change the left/front HG with the engine in the car.

derck_mullin
04-22-08, 09:52 PM
Relatively easy to do or not so much and would it be worth it?

krimson_cardnal
04-22-08, 10:07 PM
Ranger,

Sorry, but I meant as I'm looking at the engine while standing in front of the car. I have verified unfortunately it is the HG. It is pumping water out of it like that's what it was meant to do. It's right where the right cylinder head mates to the block, which is right by where the coolant crossover connects as well. It was a bit tough to see exactly where it was coming from, but I got under the car with it running and after a little bit of neck craning I was able to get a good look. I didn't know they would get this bad, but seems like every time I start the car the leak gets more severe.

This really sucks tho...when I bought the car I wasn't over concerned with the HGs b/c they had already been replaced so I thought I was safe. :banghead:Not sure what to do now...I only bought the car as a beater. Dumping a bunch of money into it seems to be a bit of a waste.

Anyone ever done just one side and does it make sense to do that? Only the right cylinder head is leaking and I was thinking I might not even have to pull the motor to do the "front" head.

Thanks,

Derck

Take a real close look in there. You're saying it's under around the water pump correct - driver's side of engine. There's a 3/4" coolant by-pass line buried in there. 10 to 1 says that's what's leaking, least I hope for you it's it. Never heard if a HG failure squirting coolant, but there's lot's I never heard before. K_C

derck_mullin
04-23-08, 08:14 PM
K_C,

Are you talking about the coolant crossover pipe that is on the top of the motor? That's the only one I'm familiar with...

krimson_cardnal
04-23-08, 10:49 PM
NO - below the t-stat housing is a 3/4" heater hose that plugs into a steel tube running towards the fire wall. Tucked way down in there. It's a 4" section of hosing. Mine recently failed. It's a bear to get to and replace but can be done. Suggest looking for it. Mine appeared as a pissing stream of coolant shooting right towards the radiator, thought the t-stat housing had failed - turned out to be that 4" section of 3/4" hose deflecting off the t-stat housing. No more problems. K_C

tateos
04-24-08, 01:36 PM
I had the rear hose on that same pipe go once, and yes, it was pissing also. In fact, there are two short lengths of that silicone hose on the right/rear side of the engine, plus the one on the front/left side near the water pump